Re: 44 addresses / JNOS 56K / Gateway Security ?

Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...>

A few years ago, there was a crash at the National Championship Air Races in
Reno, NV, injured dozens, killed a few. I wasn't there... I was 10 miles
away at the time; Yet, the cell network was down, and I couldn't make calls
or send texts. My amateur radio saved the day,
I had a similar experience when, several years ago, we had a nasty
windstorm that nailed the power grid and it was lights out for 5 days.
That's when I realized that Ham Radio with APRS was THE ultimate
situational awareness information tool. It still is.

The promise of talking to Australia got me to get my
license when I was young... But I still haven't done it, because 15 years later...
It was just this week that we on a different discussion list realized
that an experimental HF SDR data radio system can now be had for less
than $200... That would be a RXTX three band transceiver and a new
RPI 2. I know that station will easily WSPR to Australia, probably
WSJT or APRS-messenger and maybe even on APRS HF packet with the new
bit correcting software.

Are we having fun yet?

Bill