Re: RF access point application confirmation

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

Ken,

Raw TCP/IP packets will need some kind of synchronization training sequence at the beginning.  Right now we have two Amateur protocols that provide framing around TCP/IP and handle the synchronization as part of their frames.

TCP/IP runs within a UI AX.25 frame.
TCP/IP runs within Ethernet Frames inside of D-STAR frames.

This will be in our early releases.

We believe there is plenty of opportunity to create more robust and efficient air protocols, e.g. forward error correction, header compression (ala IPv6), more efficient modems, etc. and we invite developers and experimenters to do so.  Our system is open to allow such development and experimentation.  So, if one has the skill to develop and support such improvements we are all for it.

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 11:48 PM, dsp_stap@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

--- Michael E Fox - N6MEF wrote:
> The UDRX-440 functions as either a layer 2 bridge or a layer 3 router.

I'm interested only in TCP/IP, not AX.25 or D-Star.  So I have the same question.

If the radio doesn't yet have that capability, I assume it will be possible to write software to make it so (even if that requires re-transmitting packets on the same, or different, frequency).  Is that correct?

73,
Ken N8KH

PS  Part of mesh networking will be the link layer, and connecting/solving the hidden node problem.  Not all nodes should be connected; aggregate network bandwidth can be higher, and the users served better, under an optimal link layer solution, rather than an everybody connected to everybody link layer solution.  This is still a very active area of research in which amateur radio operators could contribute a great deal -- if only we had the hardware to experiment with.

__._,