Re: Codec2

"Curt, WE7U" <curt.we7u@...>

On Wed, 23 May 2012, Tyrell Berry wrote:

A transcoder between any two formats that use different
vocoders will significantly degrade the audio quality... Maybe it will
still be legible, but I doubt it will be a pleasant experience.
Witness, in order of decreasing quality, conversations from:

*) Analog phone -> analog phone
*) Analog phone -> cell-phone
*) cell-phone -> cell-phone, same technology
*) cell-phone -> cell-phone, different technology

I've had extremely poor conversations with the last mode, with a friend using a different kind of cell-phone technology than my phone.

It's _exactly_ what's being discussed here, conversions from once codec to another. The more conversions in the line, the poorer the quality. Real-world examples that most of us experience on at least a weekly basis.

--
Curt, WE7U. http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
Windows ate my homework!