Date   
Re: DRAWS Image

Douglas KI7LIK
 

Where can i find the newest image?  The link above is no good.

KI7LIK

Re: New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

Douglas KI7LIK
 

Looks great, now i'm thinking of how to add a battery to it.

Re: DRAWS Image

 

Re: New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

Dave Phelps
 

Can't say anything about the case as I haven't even received a board yet, but I can chime in on he 7" raspi screen.  
It's not big enough to do any serious work on.  A lot of programs with GUIs can't resize that small, and even if you were running it mostly headless and coming in off a vnc with a full size screen, that 7" screen won't allow you to resize your window to a better resolution.   I ended up discarding it.  That was my experience anyway.
Command line users, of course, won't notice a thing.

Re: New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

Basil Gunn
 

I am in agreement with you Dave.

The 7" Raspberry Pi 800 x 480 resolution touchscreen screens are much
too small for most (any) apps to work without a great deal of
frustration.

The 7" Sunfounder 1024 x 600 resolution displays are marginally better
but still are not that great a user experience.

I find the 10" Sunfounder 1280 x 800 displays work pretty well.

Just my opinion of course.

I would be interested to find out what application people are
using that they find the RPi 7" 800 x 480 touchscreen works well.
I do not use any of my 7" displays any more.

You can find the Sunfounder displays on Amazon with or without
touchscreen.

/Basil n7nix

Dave Phelps <dave.phelps@...> writes:

Can't say anything about the case as I haven't even received a board
yet, but I can chime in on he 7" raspi screen.

It's not big enough to do any serious work on.

A lot of programs with GUIs can't resize that
small, and even if you were running it mostly headless and coming in
off a vnc with a full size screen, that 7" screen won't allow you to
resize your window to a better resolution. I ended up discarding
it. That was my experience anyway. Command line users, of course,
won't notice a thing.

Re: DRAWS Image

Douglas KI7LIK
 

Thank you.

KI7LIK
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019, 22:57 John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
http://images.nwdigitalradio.com/downloads/

Re: DRAWS Image

Vince Gill
 

Just a question Will The NWDigital Draws digital radio workstation HAT work with Pi-Star. 




On Feb 24, 2019, at 12:57 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

Re: DRAWS Image

 

Vince,
The question needs to be reversed :)

If Pi-STAR will work with a sound modem D-STAR repeater (e.g. dstarrepeater) and can be installed on the beta image provided, then yes.  However, I don't know that this work has been done.

John


On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 12:30 PM Vince Gill via Groups.Io <ve3elb=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just a question Will The NWDigital Draws digital radio workstation HAT work with Pi-Star. 




On Feb 24, 2019, at 12:57 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Re: New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

Jack Spitznagel
 

Hi Basil and Dave,

@Dave, your comments on the RPi screen are pretty much spot on. I had a
spare one in a "SmartiPi" case I have been using to test an early adopter
DRAWS board during the betas. I posted my kitbash setup about a month ago or
so. It serves as my backup and porta-mobile digi right now and will work
adequately in the field with FLDigi. I use my workstation and laptop for
Winlink - so have not tried to set up those apps and cannot comment beyond
the notes below.

@Basil - re the 7" 800x480 RPi display - you want to have a (wireless)
keyboard with a mouse/pad!
1. Needs to be used in the shade.
2. Once RPi Stretch+Compass is set for "small screen" most stock RPi/Stretch
apps work adequately - IF you do not have vision issues.
3. Xastir is usable on the RPi screen once in fullscreen mode. Aspect ratio
makes for a weird map field (too short in some magnifications).
4. FLDigi/FLRig needed to be resized a little, but also will work in a
trouble-free manner once set up.
OTOH wsjt-x has configuration menus where critical that are inaccessible.
You can set them up if you know the default states and you know the order
that "Tab-bing" through setup selections proceeds, but it is a PITA.

Sunfounder 10"/Pi combo Questions:
Does the screen run off the buck regulator in the DRAWS card?
I originally passed on it because the display unit appeared to require its
own PS unit - the display kit with the acrylic stand and integral mounting
stuff seems to have solved that issue.
I need to eliminate the need for all but one PS (or Bioenno battery) as I
did with the early adopter kit.

Thanks for your comments-

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

-----Original Message-----
From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On
Behalf Of Basil Gunn
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:10
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-digital-radio] New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD -
Looking for testers


I am in agreement with you Dave.

The 7" Raspberry Pi 800 x 480 resolution touchscreen screens are much too
small for most (any) apps to work without a great deal of frustration.

The 7" Sunfounder 1024 x 600 resolution displays are marginally better but
still are not that great a user experience.

I find the 10" Sunfounder 1280 x 800 displays work pretty well.

Just my opinion of course.

I would be interested to find out what application people are using that
they find the RPi 7" 800 x 480 touchscreen works well.
I do not use any of my 7" displays any more.

You can find the Sunfounder displays on Amazon with or without touchscreen.

/Basil n7nix

Dave Phelps <dave.phelps@...> writes:

Can't say anything about the case as I haven't even received a board
yet, but I can chime in on he 7" raspi screen.

It's not big enough to do any serious work on.

A lot of programs with GUIs can't resize that small, and even if you
were running it mostly headless and coming in off a vnc with a full
size screen, that 7" screen won't allow you to resize your window to a
better resolution. I ended up discarding it. That was my experience
anyway. Command line users, of course, won't notice a thing.

Re: New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

Willie - N8WP
 

I recently got a new printer. A Prusa i3 mk3. I am working on learn Focus 360, I could use some assistance from more experienced modelers and printers.

Thanks, 

Willie 
N8WP 


On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 17:40 Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:
Hi Basil and Dave,

@Dave, your comments on the RPi screen are pretty much spot on. I had a
spare one in a "SmartiPi" case I have been using to test an early adopter
DRAWS board during the betas. I posted my kitbash setup about a month ago or
so. It serves as my backup and porta-mobile digi right now and will work
adequately in the field with FLDigi. I use my workstation and laptop for
Winlink - so have not tried to set up those apps and cannot comment beyond
the notes below.

@Basil - re the 7" 800x480 RPi display - you want to have a (wireless)
keyboard with a mouse/pad!
1. Needs to be used in the shade.
2. Once RPi Stretch+Compass is set for "small screen" most stock RPi/Stretch
apps work adequately - IF you do not have vision issues.
3. Xastir is usable on the RPi screen once in fullscreen mode. Aspect ratio
makes for a weird map field (too short in some magnifications).
4. FLDigi/FLRig needed to be resized a little, but also will work in a
trouble-free manner once set up.
OTOH wsjt-x has configuration menus where critical that are inaccessible.
You can set them up if you know the default states and you know the order
that "Tab-bing" through setup selections proceeds, but it is a PITA.

Sunfounder 10"/Pi combo Questions:
Does the screen run off the buck regulator in the DRAWS card?
I originally passed on it because the display unit appeared to require its
own PS unit - the display kit with the acrylic stand and integral mounting
stuff seems to have solved that issue.
I need to eliminate the need for all but one PS (or Bioenno battery) as I
did with the early adopter kit.

Thanks for your comments-

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo



-----Original Message-----
From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On
Behalf Of Basil Gunn
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:10
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-digital-radio] New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD -
Looking for testers


I am in  agreement with you Dave.

The 7" Raspberry Pi 800 x 480 resolution touchscreen screens are much too
small for most (any) apps to work without a great deal of frustration.

The 7" Sunfounder 1024 x 600 resolution displays are marginally better but
still are not that great a user experience.

I find the 10" Sunfounder 1280 x 800 displays work pretty well.

Just my opinion of course.

I would be interested to find out what application people are using that
they find the RPi 7" 800 x 480 touchscreen works well.
I do not use any of my 7" displays any more.

You can find the Sunfounder displays on Amazon with or without touchscreen.

/Basil n7nix

Dave Phelps <dave.phelps@...> writes:

> Can't say anything about the case as I haven't even received a board
> yet, but I can chime in on he 7" raspi screen.
>
> It's not big enough to do any serious work on.
>
> A lot of programs with GUIs can't resize that small, and even if you
> were running it mostly headless and coming in off a vnc with a full
> size screen, that 7" screen won't allow you to resize your window to a
> better resolution. I ended up discarding it. That was my experience
> anyway.  Command line users, of course, won't notice a thing.







--
Willie Peloquin

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain

Re: New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

Gwen Patton
 

That's probably going to be the next major purchase for the fabrication section of my workbench, a good 3d printer. I'm tired of not being able to do things because I don't have a part, especially enclosures. 


On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 11:49 PM Willie - N8WP <wpeloqui@...> wrote:
I recently got a new printer. A Prusa i3 mk3. I am working on learn Focus 360, I could use some assistance from more experienced modelers and printers.

Thanks, 

Willie 
N8WP 

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 17:40 Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:
Hi Basil and Dave,

@Dave, your comments on the RPi screen are pretty much spot on. I had a
spare one in a "SmartiPi" case I have been using to test an early adopter
DRAWS board during the betas. I posted my kitbash setup about a month ago or
so. It serves as my backup and porta-mobile digi right now and will work
adequately in the field with FLDigi. I use my workstation and laptop for
Winlink - so have not tried to set up those apps and cannot comment beyond
the notes below.

@Basil - re the 7" 800x480 RPi display - you want to have a (wireless)
keyboard with a mouse/pad!
1. Needs to be used in the shade.
2. Once RPi Stretch+Compass is set for "small screen" most stock RPi/Stretch
apps work adequately - IF you do not have vision issues.
3. Xastir is usable on the RPi screen once in fullscreen mode. Aspect ratio
makes for a weird map field (too short in some magnifications).
4. FLDigi/FLRig needed to be resized a little, but also will work in a
trouble-free manner once set up.
OTOH wsjt-x has configuration menus where critical that are inaccessible.
You can set them up if you know the default states and you know the order
that "Tab-bing" through setup selections proceeds, but it is a PITA.

Sunfounder 10"/Pi combo Questions:
Does the screen run off the buck regulator in the DRAWS card?
I originally passed on it because the display unit appeared to require its
own PS unit - the display kit with the acrylic stand and integral mounting
stuff seems to have solved that issue.
I need to eliminate the need for all but one PS (or Bioenno battery) as I
did with the early adopter kit.

Thanks for your comments-

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo



-----Original Message-----
From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On
Behalf Of Basil Gunn
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:10
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-digital-radio] New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD -
Looking for testers


I am in  agreement with you Dave.

The 7" Raspberry Pi 800 x 480 resolution touchscreen screens are much too
small for most (any) apps to work without a great deal of frustration.

The 7" Sunfounder 1024 x 600 resolution displays are marginally better but
still are not that great a user experience.

I find the 10" Sunfounder 1280 x 800 displays work pretty well.

Just my opinion of course.

I would be interested to find out what application people are using that
they find the RPi 7" 800 x 480 touchscreen works well.
I do not use any of my 7" displays any more.

You can find the Sunfounder displays on Amazon with or without touchscreen.

/Basil n7nix

Dave Phelps <dave.phelps@...> writes:

> Can't say anything about the case as I haven't even received a board
> yet, but I can chime in on he 7" raspi screen.
>
> It's not big enough to do any serious work on.
>
> A lot of programs with GUIs can't resize that small, and even if you
> were running it mostly headless and coming in off a vnc with a full
> size screen, that 7" screen won't allow you to resize your window to a
> better resolution. I ended up discarding it. That was my experience
> anyway.  Command line users, of course, won't notice a thing.







--
Willie Peloquin

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”- Mark Twain



--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time
http://quarktime.net

Re: New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

Basil Gunn
 

Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> writes:


Sunfounder 10"/Pi combo Questions:
Does the screen run off the buck regulator in the DRAWS card?
The display is a 12V display.
It also has a speaker so you can use Xastir audio alerts without having
an external speaker. The RPi with DRAWS hat attach to the back of the
display so you don't need a case. Go to the Sunsounder site to read the
specs.
https://www.sunfounder.com/10-1-inch-hdmi-lcd.html

I originally passed on it because the display unit appeared to require its
own PS unit - the display kit with the acrylic stand and integral mounting
stuff seems to have solved that issue.

Re: New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

Douglas KI7LIK
 

That's a nice display.  It would be nice if the touchscreen model would be setup the same way.


On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 9:18 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> writes:

>
> Sunfounder 10"/Pi combo Questions:
> Does the screen run off the buck regulator in the DRAWS card?

The display is a 12V display.
It also has a speaker so you can use Xastir audio alerts without having
an external speaker. The RPi with DRAWS hat attach to the back of the
display so you don't need a case. Go to the Sunsounder site to read the
specs.
https://www.sunfounder.com/10-1-inch-hdmi-lcd.html

> I originally passed on it because the display unit appeared to require its
> own PS unit - the display kit with the acrylic stand and integral mounting
> stuff seems to have solved that issue.





--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Re: New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

Eric Osterberg
 

With what tool was the design built?  SolidWorks? Would you be willing to share the source files? I'd like to be able to adapt to different displays, mounting configurations and am Interested in building a lipo battery and charger board.

73 - NØNKI - Eric


On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 11:19 AM <steve@...> wrote:
Hello,

VE7KGV and I designed a case to allow use of the DRAWS Hat with a Raspberry Pi and 7 inch LCD but have no way to test it because we haven't gotten a DRAWS board to play with (Hopefully in the next couple of weeks).  As a result we've only been able to design this from the spec sheet.  The full design is on Thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3387482

There are pictures there as well.

Would love any input you have on how to improve this design.

Thanks,

Steve and Kevin
VE7GOY/VE7KGV

DRAWS™ Shipping Schedule #draws #shipping

 



k7udr posted: "Components are in and we have a 5 day assembly turn scheduled for March 8th. We will begin shipping by order date, the week of the 11th and should have all backorders shipped by the 15th. We have another run scheduled so we should have stock moving for"

New post on NW Digital Radio

DRAWS Shipping Schedule

by k7udr

Components are in and we have a 5 day assembly turn scheduled for March 8th. We will begin shipping by order date, the week of the 11th and should have all backorders shipped by the 15th.

We have another run scheduled so we should have stock moving forward.

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR

k7udr | March 2, 2019 at 8:00 am | Categories: DRAWS | URL: https://wp.me/p2mAAP-1zX

Re: DRAWS™ Shipping Schedule #draws #shipping

Dave Phelps
 

Nice.

Re: DRAWS™ Shipping Schedule #draws #shipping

Don Poaps
 

Any word on the shields/covers. Be nice if they could be shipped at the same time to cut shipping cause to other countries. 
73
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE


Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k           



                    
  




 


On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 6:05 AM Dave Phelps <dave.phelps@...> wrote:
Nice.

Re: DRAWS™ Shipping Schedule #draws #shipping

 

We’ll open up orders for the Case in April.

Thanks,
Bryan

On Mar 4, 2019, at 7:48 AM, Don Poaps <va7dgp@...> wrote:

Any word on the shields/covers. Be nice if they could be shipped at the same time to cut shipping cause to other countries. 
73
Don Poaps
New Westminster, BC
VA7DGP DATA
VA7QU   VOICE


Winlink: va7qu@...
Subject://wl2k           



                    
  




 


On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 6:05 AM Dave Phelps <dave.phelps@...> wrote:
Nice.



Draws Analog to digital transcoding #draws

N9UMJ
 

Hi  All

Has anyone successfully used the Draws board with the Ambe 3000usb to create an Analog to Digital interface?

I'm wanting to create a means of trans-coding digital to analog and Analog back to digital to merge my Analog repeater with my MMDVM Digital repeater,

Any direction to instructions or directions on how it was accomplished would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

73 de Rick
N9UMJ

Re: Draws Analog to digital transcoding #draws

Jim Brown <w5zit@...>
 

I used the BlueDVWindows program in a beta release for the AMBE3000.  I did not use the DRAWS system, but did build an interface to allow the RS-232 control lines to signal PTT and SQ to my analog side.  The program has provisions for setting up the RS-232 control signals. 

I do the exact thing you are wanting to do - during our weekly net we integrate the analog repeaters with D-Star through the BlueDV program.  I have a write-up on the Interface if you are interested.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT at Yahoo dot com.