Date   
Re: FT-847 PTT with wsjt-x not working #draws

 

Are you selecting CAT for PTT, then activating hamlib to perform CAT? 

Except in fldigi where you can select GPIO for PTT. 

Don't let Linux throw you, the applications perform the functions regardless of operating system.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 19:23 <jstnsclark@...> wrote:
I'm having the same issue, all-though,i am running an FT-857d. I am fairly new to linux and all, byt i have a good understanding. Have you figured anything out yet??
Justin 

FT-857d Will not transmit on digital modes?? #draws #support

Justin Clark (KJ7JC)
 

AX.25 is working with YAAC. I am able to send and recieve packets. 

But when i try digital modes, WSJTX and FlDigi, i can only recieve. I did stop AX.25 and still nothing. Any ideas on things i can check or try?

Re: FT-847 PTT with wsjt-x not working #draws

Justin Clark (KJ7JC)
 

I only have the 6pmDIN connected from the DRAWS to the data port on the radio. Do i need a cat control cable also?? 

Re: FT-847 PTT with wsjt-x not working #draws

 

If the program doesn't provide GPIO keying, then you have to use CAT or maybe VOX keying.  (Fldigi and direwolf are examples of programs with GPIO PTT keying)


On Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 20:07 <jstnsclark@...> wrote:
I only have the 6pmDIN connected from the DRAWS to the data port on the radio. Do i need a cat control cable also?? 

GPS without external antenna? #draws #gps

rgfuller@...
 

Is there an on-board GPS antenna, or is an external antenna necessary?

Re: GPS without external antenna? #draws #gps

 

No, an antenna is required, via the SMA connector.


On Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 20:21 <rgfuller@...> wrote:
Is there an on-board GPS antenna, or is an external antenna necessary?

Re: FT-857d Will not transmit on digital modes?? #draws #support

 

Did you use DRAWS™ Manager to set up the ports? Is it keying? Are you getting audio out?

What are the symptoms and configuration settings?


On Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 20:00 <jstnsclark@...> wrote:
AX.25 is working with YAAC. I am able to send and recieve packets. 

But when i try digital modes, WSJTX and FlDigi, i can only recieve. I did stop AX.25 and still nothing. Any ideas on things i can check or try?

Re: FT-847 PTT with wsjt-x not working #draws

Justin Clark (KJ7JC)
 

OK, I am starting to understand it. Sorry, i am new to HAM and very new to the whole digital side of things. Its a learning curve and I am taking it on head first. hah
Thanks John for the help and continued support. I will do some more researching into what GPIO to select in FLDigi

Re: FT-857d Will not transmit on digital modes?? #draws #support

Justin Clark (KJ7JC)
 

I believe its just not keying the PTT. Im only using the data 6pin mDin. If i add a cat ctl cable it should fix my problems. i thought i could just use the data cable, but thats to much configuring for me to figure out, so i will purchase one and see if i can get it with that connected also. 

Re: FT-847 PTT with wsjt-x not working #draws

okiejim
 

John and John,
Thank you for getting back to me. No I havea not had a chance to chase this down. My shack build is taking up alot of time. Im buiilding the shack in a RV Toyhauler that is why the
Draw Hat was so important to me. I will do some work with it this week. I saw an article on HamLib that said you could use RTS with the comport the same of the CAT port. I will try that first.
And yes I do use two cables the CAT cable has to be a null modem cable. It does work on my 847 and the Draws. More to come sorry for the delay.


On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 10:32 PM <jstnsclark@...> wrote:
OK, I am starting to understand it. Sorry, i am new to HAM and very new to the whole digital side of things. Its a learning curve and I am taking it on head first. hah
Thanks John for the help and continued support. I will do some more researching into what GPIO to select in FLDigi

Re: GPS without external antenna? #draws #gps

 

The GPS receiver has an auto switch Bias TEE for an external Antenna/LNA. They’re in stock if you want tp buy one.

Go to the shop page on the website.

Bryan K7UDR

DRAWS Boot and GPS issues #support

Chuck - VA7UL/VA7ULD/VE1CAM
 

I am having two issues with my new DRAWS hat (an early adopter version recently received, early April).

The RaspPi boots normally when I power it via the DRAWS hat using a 12.2 VDC source, but when I use my station's central 13.8VDC battery supply it fails to boot.  The red power LED lights, but there is no green LED bootup activity.  Returning the system to the 12.2VDC supply restores normal operation.  I need to be able to run everything off the 13.8 V battery under emergency conditions.

The GPS receiver seems to have died last night after running very well for several days.  I have tried using three different standard GPS antennas with no luck.  The gpsd daemon starts and runs normally, but "cgps -s" no longer reports any satellite fixes, and the list of available satellites is blank.  Up until the failure, I was routinely getting fixes from 10 to 12 satellites.

Has anyone experienced either (or both) of these issues?  i don't think the supply voltage problem has anything to do with the GPS failure because the successful testing of GPS was done with the 12.2VDC supply, long after trying to boot with the battery supply.  That same central battery supply powers all of my other radios with no issues.

73,   Chuck .  VA7UL

Re: DRAWS Boot and GPS issues #support

 

Hi Chuck,

If can boot up on the 12.2V supply.  Open a terminal, and run bin/showudrc.sh  and capture the output and forward it, this will provide some diagnostics for the team to look at.

If it turns out to be a problem with the HAT, it would be covered by the warranty.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 1:38 PM Chuck - VA7UL/VA7ULD & VE1CAM <va7ul@...> wrote:
I am having two issues with my new DRAWS hat (an early adopter version recently received, early April).

The RaspPi boots normally when I power it via the DRAWS hat using a 12.2 VDC source, but when I use my station's central 13.8VDC battery supply it fails to boot.  The red power LED lights, but there is no green LED bootup activity.  Returning the system to the 12.2VDC supply restores normal operation.  I need to be able to run everything off the 13.8 V battery under emergency conditions.

The GPS receiver seems to have died last night after running very well for several days.  I have tried using three different standard GPS antennas with no luck.  The gpsd daemon starts and runs normally, but "cgps -s" no longer reports any satellite fixes, and the list of available satellites is blank.  Up until the failure, I was routinely getting fixes from 10 to 12 satellites.

Has anyone experienced either (or both) of these issues?  i don't think the supply voltage problem has anything to do with the GPS failure because the successful testing of GPS was done with the 12.2VDC supply, long after trying to boot with the battery supply.  That same central battery supply powers all of my other radios with no issues.

73,   Chuck .  VA7UL



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Re: DRAWS Boot and GPS issues #support

Chuck - VA7UL/VA7ULD/VE1CAM
 

Thanks John!  Private reply sent with three attachments.

73,  Chuck

Re: DRAWS Boot and GPS issues #support

 

Chuck -- how long do you leave cgps or gpsmon running (in case of loss of satellite data and the GPS is cold starting)? 

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 9:22 PM Chuck - VA7UL/VA7ULD & VE1CAM <va7ul@...> wrote:
Thanks John!  Private reply sent with three attachments.

73,  Chuck



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Re: FT-847 PTT with wsjt-x not working #draws

okiejim
 

Time for an update. I tried every combination on wsjtx for PTT on my Yeasue FT-847. No joy. So I went to rigctl direct. when I just use command  uppercase T, the 847 beeps twice and the led display say ERROR. So I assume this is an error in hamlib and not WSJT-x? All this is trying to use the CAT for PTT control. Since Xastir works fine via the minidin cable is there a way to have WSJT to work the same way via that cable? The CAT is working for setting the Freqs on my rig just not the PTT.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 7:25 AM okiejim via Groups.Io <kd6vpe=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
John and John,
Thank you for getting back to me. No I havea not had a chance to chase this down. My shack build is taking up alot of time. Im buiilding the shack in a RV Toyhauler that is why the
Draw Hat was so important to me. I will do some work with it this week. I saw an article on HamLib that said you could use RTS with the comport the same of the CAT port. I will try that first.
And yes I do use two cables the CAT cable has to be a null modem cable. It does work on my 847 and the Draws. More to come sorry for the delay.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 10:32 PM <jstnsclark@...> wrote:
OK, I am starting to understand it. Sorry, i am new to HAM and very new to the whole digital side of things. Its a learning curve and I am taking it on head first. hah
Thanks John for the help and continued support. I will do some more researching into what GPIO to select in FLDigi

Re: DRAWS Boot and GPS issues #support

 

I ran some tests, with a weak battery and no battery.  In each case, if the power is removed from the DRAWS™ HAT, then the GPS has to cold start and can take up to a few minutes to begin reporting time and position.  If you do not remove power, and/or have a fresh battery, then it should come up quickly.


On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 9:52 PM John D Hays - K7VE via Groups.Io <john=hays.org@groups.io> wrote:
Chuck -- how long do you leave cgps or gpsmon running (in case of loss of satellite data and the GPS is cold starting)? 

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 9:22 PM Chuck - VA7UL/VA7ULD & VE1CAM <va7ul@...> wrote:
Thanks John!  Private reply sent with three attachments.

73,  Chuck



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Re: DRAWS Boot and GPS issues #support

mathison ott
 

I know that the first 2 batches of 10k units didnt responded to low voltage. Is the board regulating 5v properly. check to see what thr voltage is on battery vs psu. 

Just my thoughts. https://www.dimensionengineering.com makes some good voltege regulators. 

73 KJ6DZB

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019, 6:23 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
I ran some tests, with a weak battery and no battery.  In each case, if the power is removed from the DRAWS™ HAT, then the GPS has to cold start and can take up to a few minutes to begin reporting time and position.  If you do not remove power, and/or have a fresh battery, then it should come up quickly.


On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 9:52 PM John D Hays - K7VE via Groups.Io <john=hays.org@groups.io> wrote:
Chuck -- how long do you leave cgps or gpsmon running (in case of loss of satellite data and the GPS is cold starting)? 

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 9:22 PM Chuck - VA7UL/VA7ULD & VE1CAM <va7ul@...> wrote:
Thanks John!  Private reply sent with three attachments.

73,  Chuck



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Re: DRAWS Boot and GPS issues #support

 

Could you be more specific? It isn't clear what "batches" you are talking about.

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 7:16 PM mathison ott <mathisono@...> wrote:
I know that the first 2 batches of 10k units didnt responded to low voltage. Is the board regulating 5v properly. check to see what thr voltage is on battery vs psu. 

Just my thoughts. https://www.dimensionengineering.com makes some good voltege regulators. 

73 KJ6DZB

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019, 6:23 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
I ran some tests, with a weak battery and no battery.  In each case, if the power is removed from the DRAWS™ HAT, then the GPS has to cold start and can take up to a few minutes to begin reporting time and position.  If you do not remove power, and/or have a fresh battery, then it should come up quickly.



John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Re: FT-847 PTT with wsjt-x not working #draws

okiejim
 

Aw geez,
I need to keep reading up on this device. The answer seems to be in the groups.io.  I see that another ham has simular trouble with an ft-817 and he got an anwser of trying fldigi and flrig first then select flrig in wsjt-x and that might help I will try this this weekend and see. I wish it was easier to find this kind of info. I just don't know how to use group.io very well yet.