Date   
Re: DRAWS Video #4

Michael Starling
 

Steve,

Have enjoyed your videos.  Am a computer guy but not much UNIX background.  Have gotten a 3b+ up and running with an ICOM 7300.

Wondering what your opinion is of the value of the DRAWS HAT is with that radio given that it already has the equivalent of a signal link built in.

Mike Starling
WV8AE

Re: New to Linux/Unix? #linux #commands

Michael Starling
 

Thank you!

Re: DRAWS Video #4

Ryan W Leathers
 

Michael asked the question about the usefulness of the DRAWS with a rig like the IC-7300.

The DRAWS is much more than a sound card and digital modes interface.  It is a convenient way to get highly accurate GPS position, clock, run a variety of interesting applications for rig control and digital modes without a bulky PC or laptop, and it does all this using the same 12v systems you already have for portable / mobile use.

The question for me is not about duplication of signaling style capabilities. Rather it is whether or not one plans on mobile / portable operation. This is where features like the GPS, small form factor, and power really put the DRAWS in a class of its own, at least in my opinion.

There are other ways to run digital modes on Linux in the shack, so DRAWS is just another option there. But in the field it's a different story. Nothing else comes close.



On Sat, Jun 15, 2019, 12:11 AM Michael Starling <mkstarling@...> wrote:
Steve,

Have enjoyed your videos.  Am a computer guy but not much UNIX background.  Have gotten a 3b+ up and running with an ICOM 7300.

Wondering what your opinion is of the value of the DRAWS HAT is with that radio given that it already has the equivalent of a signal link built in.

Mike Starling
WV8AE

Re: DRAWS Video #4

Steve, N9VW
 

As Brian put it in one of his recent presentations about the DRAWS platform, the intent is in "putting the Amateur back in Amateur Radio". This is rather fitting given that the R-Pi was devised for much the same purpose, to be educational.

The DRAWS platform is an experimenters board (HAT) with loads of capabilities as Ryan noted. Being based on Linux provides a learning opportunity for the OS of choice for many things going forward. Linux is reasonably easy to learn. The nice thing is that learning Linux on the DRAWS does not limit where you can go with Linux in general.

It all comes down to if you just want to plug something in and  use the tools provided to play radio or if you want to open the hood, dig around in the innards, get your hands dirty and learn more about what you are doing at a lower level.  All while bringing new technologies to play.

Happy Trails,
Steve, N9VW

On 6/15/2019 7:08 AM, Ryan W Leathers wrote:
Michael asked the question about the usefulness of the DRAWS with a rig like the IC-7300.

The DRAWS is much more than a sound card and digital modes interface.  It is a convenient way to get highly accurate GPS position, clock, run a variety of interesting applications for rig control and digital modes without a bulky PC or laptop, and it does all this using the same 12v systems you already have for portable / mobile use.

The question for me is not about duplication of signaling style capabilities. Rather it is whether or not one plans on mobile / portable operation. This is where features like the GPS, small form factor, and power really put the DRAWS in a class of its own, at least in my opinion.

There are other ways to run digital modes on Linux in the shack, so DRAWS is just another option there. But in the field it's a different story. Nothing else comes close.



On Sat, Jun 15, 2019, 12:11 AM Michael Starling <mkstarling@...> wrote:
Steve,

Have enjoyed your videos.  Am a computer guy but not much UNIX background.  Have gotten a 3b+ up and running with an ICOM 7300.

Wondering what your opinion is of the value of the DRAWS HAT is with that radio given that it already has the equivalent of a signal link built in.

Mike Starling
WV8AE

Re: DRAWS Video #4

WB7DFV
 

Re: DRAWS Video #4

WB7DFV
 

On 6/16/2019 1:23 PM, WB7DFV wrote:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EBJasGAymY


Re: [New post] Shipping Status Update #shipping #draws #case

Dave Slotter, W3DJS
 

Hi,

Is there any date for shipping of the D.R.A.W.S. aluminum cases yet? I was hoping to have one by Field Day, as I brought my Raspberry Pi with D.R.A.W.S. hat to FD, naked, because no case had arrived.

Please advise, and thanks.

-Dave

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 10:05 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Please use the form on the support page and include your order number.

On Fri, May 10, 2019, 17:39 Allen Lee <alee@...> wrote:
Purchased the case from C4, very nice. Cancel my preorder of aluminum case. Thanks

New Raspberry Pi 4 compatibility with DRAWS HAT #support

Dreuge@...
 

The new Raspberry PI 4 has just been released.  The PI4 is a serious upgrade over the PI3B.  I'm guessing and hoping that DRAWS HAT is compatible, but I would like confirmation.    So, will the DRAWS HAT work with the PI4 or will we need to wait for an updated DRAWS HAT for PI4 use?

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 compatibility with DRAWS HAT #support

JT Croteau
 

In the Raspberry Pi 4 thread, see the post from John Hays.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019, 09:27 <Dreuge@...> wrote:
The new Raspberry PI 4 has just been released.  The PI4 is a serious upgrade over the PI3B.  I'm guessing and hoping that DRAWS HAT is compatible, but I would like confirmation.    So, will the DRAWS HAT work with the PI4 or will we need to wait for an updated DRAWS HAT for PI4 use?

 

[Moderator: John's post]

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 compatibility with DRAWS HAT #support

Dreuge@...
 

I tried searching on " Raspberry Pi 4" and did not find any discussion.  As for thread, I'm guessing you mean topics, as I don't see option or mention of threads on the proups.io system.  I do thank you foir the reply, I'll try searching on John Hayes.   I guessing that there is a way to navigate this system better than I'm aware.

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 compatibility with DRAWS HAT #support

JT Croteau
 


On Tue, Jun 25, 2019, 11:04 <Dreuge@...> wrote:
I tried searching on " Raspberry Pi 4" and did not find any discussion.  As for thread, I'm guessing you mean topics, as I don't see option or mention of threads on the proups.io system.  I do thank you foir the reply, I'll try searching on John Hayes.   I guessing that there is a way to navigate this system better than I'm aware.

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 compatibility with DRAWS HAT #support

W9TN
 

Dreuge, that topic and most other discussions about DRAWS are in the "udrc" subgroup of nw-digital-radio. Perhaps you weren't searching the subgroup.
--
73, Steve W9TN

On 6/25/19 12:04 PM, Dreuge@... wrote:
I tried searching on " Raspberry Pi 4" and did not find any discussion.  As for thread, I'm guessing you mean topics, as I don't see option or mention of threads on the proups.io system.  I do thank you foir the reply, I'll try searching on John Hayes.   I guessing that there is a way to navigate this system better than I'm aware.
_._,_._,_

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 compatibility with DRAWS HAT #support

Edward Seeliger
 

From UDRC subgroup:


John D Hays - K7VE
Jun 24  

Hi All,
 
The new Raspberry Pi 4 has some interesting features and we certainly will be looking at it, however, we at NW Digital Radio do not get any advance engineering information from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, so we must also wait for shipments to have test units.

In the short term, we recommend sticking with the currently supported models of Pis unless you are familiar with building software and self support.
 
We are also looking at updating the design for the production (non-beta) DRAWS™ aluminum cases to accommodate the 2, 3, and 4 Pi motherboards.

Stay tuned.


John D. Hays
Director

piardopc?

km4ack
 

Is it possible to run piardopc by John Wiseman with the DRAWS hat? If so, what startup parameters would I use?

73,
Jason
KM4ACK
Find me on YouTube

WinMor or ARDOP operation with Pi HAT and Pi3+ #draws

wa9pyh@...
 

Has anyone operated WinMor or ARDOP  sucessfully with the DRAWS Pi HAT and a Pi3+?  More specifically with a FT857D?

Thank you!

Jim WA9PYH

SECOND Request Re: [nw-digital-radio] [New post] Shipping Status Update #draws #case #shipping

Dave Slotter, W3DJS
 

Is there any date for shipping of the cases? My previous email to the group has went unanswered for two weeks.

--
Dave Slotter, W3DJS

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 8:42 AM Dave Slotter <slotter@...> wrote:
Hi,

Is there any date for shipping of the D.R.A.W.S. aluminum cases yet? I was hoping to have one by Field Day, as I brought my Raspberry Pi with D.R.A.W.S. hat to FD, naked, because no case had arrived.

Please advise, and thanks.

-Dave

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 10:05 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Please use the form on the support page and include your order number.

On Fri, May 10, 2019, 17:39 Allen Lee <alee@...> wrote:
Purchased the case from C4, very nice. Cancel my preorder of aluminum case. Thanks

Re: SECOND Request Re: [nw-digital-radio] [New post] Shipping Status Update #draws #case #shipping

 

As previously mentioned, updates will be provided when we have solid information on when the manufacturer will be able to deliver.  We have gone through some revisions, and the layout of the new Pi 4 requires yet another revision, but it is being worked.

Any personal requests should go to the support form at the bottom of http://nwdigitalradio.com/support/
where it can be handled by sales/customer service.  Be sure to include the order number.

Also UDRC/DRAWS™ topics should go to https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc


On Wed, Jul 10, 2019 at 4:16 PM Dave Slotter <slotter@...> wrote:
Is there any date for shipping of the cases? My previous email to the group has went unanswered for two weeks.

--
Dave Slotter, W3DJS

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 8:42 AM Dave Slotter <slotter@...> wrote:
Hi,

Is there any date for shipping of the D.R.A.W.S. aluminum cases yet? I was hoping to have one by Field Day, as I brought my Raspberry Pi with D.R.A.W.S. hat to FD, naked, because no case had arrived.

Please advise, and thanks.

-Dave

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 10:05 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Please use the form on the support page and include your order number.

On Fri, May 10, 2019, 17:39 Allen Lee <alee@...> wrote:
Purchased the case from C4, very nice. Cancel my preorder of aluminum case. Thanks



--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

 

New 3D print case design for DRAWS #draws #case

vk2psf@...
 

I have aded a new case design for the DRAWS Hat (Jun-2019 edition with the GPS SMA port at the back.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3743033

I may look at adding power poles to it, probably as a replacement lid design.

.../alex

Re: New 3D print case design for DRAWS #draws #case

JT Croteau
 

Nice work Alex, will you be doing one for the Pi4?


On Fri, Jul 12, 2019, 08:38 <vk2psf@...> wrote:
I have aded a new case design for the DRAWS Hat (Jun-2019 edition with the GPS SMA port at the back.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3743033

I may look at adding power poles to it, probably as a replacement lid design.

.../alex

Re: New 3D print case design for DRAWS #draws #case

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
 

Alex,
 
Nice design.
 
Did you have one for the original DRAWS with the GPS port in the side and the power out of the end?
I would be very interested in checking that out if you had it.
 
Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
ewbloom@...
Sent from Webmail access
 
 

-----Original Message-----
From: vk2psf <vk2psf@...>
To: main <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Jul 12, 2019 8:38 am
Subject: [nw-digital-radio] New 3D print case design for DRAWS #case #draws

I have aded a new case design for the DRAWS Hat (Jun-2019 edition with the GPS SMA port at the back.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3743033

I may look at adding power poles to it, probably as a replacement lid design.

.../alex