Date   
Instructions for the UDRC™ installation for the Yaesu DR-1X

 

http://nwdigitalradio.com/udrc-install-for-dr-1x/

Re: Instructions for the UDRC™ installation for the Yaesu DR-1X

Nathan Dykstra
 

Great instructions! Thanks! 

My group is interested in running a full WIRES-X/D-Star repeater.

About the line: If you want to run WIRES-X use a separate node radio attached to the HRI-200.  You cannot use the HD-15 and mini DIN-10 at the same time.

Is this "separate node radio" just any FM radio (w/packet port and WIRES-X setup) connected on the complementary Tx/Rx frequencies, or does this have to be something like a FTM-400DR on complementary Tx/Rx frequencies? Any special configuration to be done on either the DR-1X or node radio?



Re: Instructions for the UDRC™ installation for the Yaesu DR-1X

 

Hi Nathan,

If you want to run WIRES-X in Yaesu System Fusion Digital mode a FTM-100DR or FTM-400DR should be used.  I have run for several months with the FTM-100DR and my repeater with the UDRC™ attached.

No special configuration of the repeater is required, other than having it pass the right mode (Analog or Digital).  I run the repeater AUTO/AUTO.  On the WIRES-X you have to pick analog or digital during setup.

As a side note, for stress testing, I ran the DR-1X with a FTM-100DR/WIRES-X in digital mode attached to "Americas Link" (the busiest english speaking room) and D-STAR attached to REF001C (the busiest reflector) and let them "fight it out" for weeks.  The repeater never locked up and it switched appropriately depending on traffic source (RF has precedence).  One would not do this in general practice, but it was an interesting test.

As you note, the node radio is set up with complimentary frequencies to the repeater, e.g. like a user station.

BTW, the Windows based WIRES-X software does seem to crash fairly often (daily?), so having the node where you can monitor and restart the program is an advantage.


73 de K7VE

How can I make a DSTAR and or Fusion hotspot for portable mobile operation?

 

All,


I would like to make something like the DV Mega dualband radio board on a R-PI using NW digital products.  What is the hardware and software requirements?  I am interested in DSTAR, C4FM and DMR reflectors via cell phone WIFI.  Can it be done today?

73 de Gary K3IH


PiDV + UDRC = Dstar, Fusion, P25, DMR?

abe@...
 

Would it be possible to attach the PiDV board to one of the vacant headers on the UDRC to make a board capable of receiving all AMBE3000R based protocols, connecting the beast to a VHF/UHF radio such as the Icom IC-208H via the mini-DIN? 

Re: PiDV + UDRC = Dstar, Fusion, P25, DMR?

 

It is possible to make the connections (either a PiDV or just use a ThumbDV in one of the USB ports), but the applications to operate all of those protocols do not currently exist.

The AMBE-3000 is the vocoder, it doesn't provide any of the radio protocols, it turns voice into AMBE and AMBE into voice, the rest is handled in applications.

Also there is some intellectual property attached to some of the commercial protocols that should be licensed.

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 5:14 PM, <abe@...> wrote:

Would it be possible to attach the PiDV board to one of the vacant headers on the UDRC to make a board capable of receiving all AMBE3000R based protocols, connecting the beast to a VHF/UHF radio such as the Icom IC-208H via the mini-DIN? 




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  

PiDV / DV3000 schematic or pinout

abe@...
 

Is there a schematic or pinout available the PiDV / DV3000? I couldn't find it on the product website. 

Re: PiDV / DV3000 schematic or pinout

 

On Sun, Jun 12, 2016 at 6:41 PM, <abe@...> wrote:

Is there a schematic or pinout available the PiDV / DV3000? I couldn't find it on the product website. 




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  

Re: PiDV / DV3000 schematic or pinout

abe@...
 

Thanks, John.  

[New post] Shipping Shutdown

 

New post on NW Digital Radio

Shipping Shutdown

by k7udr

Shipping will be shutdown starting June 22nd. Orders placed after that will ship when we re-open on July 10th.

k7udr | June 20, 2016 at 7:11 am | Categories: News | URL: http://wp.me/p2mAAP-PO

Comment    See all comments

Unsubscribe to no longer receive posts from NW Digital Radio.
Change your email settings at Manage Subscriptions.

Trouble clicking? Copy and paste this URL into your browser:
http://nwdigitalradio.com/shipping-shutdown/





--


John D. Hays
Director

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  

No UDRC listed after aplay -l

Peter Schrader
 

Hi there,

 

Forgive this NOOB question, I have just received the UDRC pi-hat and a brand new Raspberry PI3.

 

My intent is to setup a dual VHF/UHF 1200/9600 APRS igate/digipeater.  I am starting with the 9600 APRS first and quickly ran into a problem.  I cannot see the UDRC card listed.

 

 

Am I the only one with this issue?  And yes the card is plugged in correctly.

 

Cheers,

Peter  - VK4EA

Re: No UDRC listed after aplay -l

Steve <coupaydeville@...>
 

Are you using a wall wart or the 12 volts on the UDRC? If the wall wart, is it a 2 amp or better?

Just an idea...

Re: No UDRC listed after aplay -l

Peter Schrader
 

HI Steve,

 

Thanks for the quick reply, the micro-USB supply to the PI3 is 3A capable.

 

The instructions are not that precise on whether the UDRC requires a separate supply, did I miss something fundamental here?

 

Can I surmise that there are a few supply options

1.       UDRC draws power from the PI3 40way GPIO?

2.       PI3 is powered from the UDRC when 12VDC is connected to the +12V pad adjacent to the Dsub15 connector?

3.       Both are required?

 

Cheers,

Peter – VK4EA

 

From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io [mailto:main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Sampson
Sent: Monday, 4 July 2016 1:52 AM
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-digital-radio] No UDRC listed after aplay -l

 

Are you using a wall wart or the 12 volts on the UDRC? If the wall wart, is it a 2 amp or better?

 

Just an idea...

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7640 / Virus Database: 4613/12551 - Release Date: 07/03/16

Re: No UDRC listed after aplay -l

 

It is not normal for the udrc to not be listed when you do an 'aplay -l' -- I am assuming you have completely removed power and reapplied it at some point.

If, by chance, you have another Pi 2 or 3 give it a go on it.  (Just move the microSD card and udrc).  If it still doesn't display, contact support@... for next steps.


On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Peter Schrader <vk4ea@...> wrote:

HI Steve,

 

Thanks for the quick reply, the micro-USB supply to the PI3 is 3A capable.

 

The instructions are not that precise on whether the UDRC requires a separate supply, did I miss something fundamental here?

 

Can I surmise that there are a few supply options

1.       UDRC draws power from the PI3 40way GPIO?

Yes
 

2.       PI3 is powered from the UDRC when 12VDC is connected to the +12V pad adjacent to the Dsub15 connector?

Yes
 

3.       Both are required?


No and not recommended that both be fed at the same time. 

 

Cheers,

Peter – VK4EA

 



John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   

Re: No UDRC listed after aplay -l

 

Might want to move this discussion over to the subgroup at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 2:45 PM, John Hays <k7ve@...> wrote:
It is not normal for the udrc to not be listed when you do an 'aplay -l' -- I am assuming you have completely removed power and reapplied it at some point.

If, by chance, you have another Pi 2 or 3 give it a go on it.  (Just move the microSD card and udrc).  If it still doesn't display, contact support@... for next steps.


On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Peter Schrader <vk4ea@...> wrote:

HI Steve,

 

Thanks for the quick reply, the micro-USB supply to the PI3 is 3A capable.

 

The instructions are not that precise on whether the UDRC requires a separate supply, did I miss something fundamental here?

 

Can I surmise that there are a few supply options

1.       UDRC draws power from the PI3 40way GPIO?

Yes
 

2.       PI3 is powered from the UDRC when 12VDC is connected to the +12V pad adjacent to the Dsub15 connector?

Yes
 

3.       Both are required?


No and not recommended that both be fed at the same time. 

 

Cheers,

Peter – VK4EA

 



John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   




--


John D. Hays
Director

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  

Re: No UDRC listed after aplay -l

 

Hello Peter,

What kind of repeater are you using or is this a hot spot config?

Further question:  Are you using the 15 pin connection or the mini-din?

Aug

AG5AT

Re: No UDRC listed after aplay -l

Paul Johnson
 

Peter,

I am using the UDRC with a PI3 and the standard micro-USB supply
that came with the PI3. Works just fine. No extra power supply
connections required.

pi@pi3:~ $ uname -a
Linux pi3 4.4.10-v7+ #1 SMP Tue May 17 11:18:40 UTC 2016 armv7l
pi@pi3:~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835
IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: Universal Digital Radio Controller
tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0


regards

Paul VE7DHM

On Mon, 2016-07-04 at 07:39 +1000, Peter Schrader wrote:
HI Steve,



Thanks for the quick reply, the micro-USB supply to the PI3 is 3A
capable.



The instructions are not that precise on whether the UDRC requires a
separate supply, did I miss something fundamental here?



Can I surmise that there are a few supply options

1. UDRC draws power from the PI3 40way GPIO?

2. PI3 is powered from the UDRC when 12VDC is connected to the
+12V pad adjacent to the Dsub15 connector?

3. Both are required?



Cheers,

Peter – VK4EA



From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
[mailto:main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Sampson
Sent: Monday, 4 July 2016 1:52 AM
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-digital-radio] No UDRC listed after aplay -l



Are you using a wall wart or the 12 volts on the UDRC? If the wall
wart, is it a 2 amp or better?




Just an idea...



No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2016.0.7640 / Virus Database: 4613/12551 - Release Date:
07/03/16


Re: How can I make a DSTAR and or Fusion hotspot for portable mobile operation?

 

On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 06:55 am, Gary Ramon wrote:

All,


I would like to make something like the DV Mega dualband radio board on a R-PI using NW digital products.  What is the hardware and software requirements?  I am interested in DSTAR, C4FM and DMR reflectors via cell phone WIFI.  Can it be done today?

73 de Gary K3IH



There is not a complete application to accomplish all of these systems on NW Digital Radio products at this time.

The UDRC and ThumbDV/PiDV could certainly be a part of such an application.

Re: How can I make a DSTAR and or Fusion hotspot for portable mobile operation?

 

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 3:08 PM, John Hays <john@...> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 5, 2016 at 06:55 am, Gary Ramon wrote:

All,


I would like to make something like the DV Mega dualband radio board on a R-PI using NW digital products.  What is the hardware and software requirements?  I am interested in DSTAR, C4FM and DMR reflectors via cell phone WIFI.  Can it be done today?

73 de Gary K3IH



There is not a complete application to accomplish all of these systems on NW Digital Radio products at this time.

The UDRC and ThumbDV/PiDV could certainly be a part of such an application.




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   

Event: John - K7VE Presentation at Great Salt Lake Hamfest, Saturday, 9 July 2016 #cal-invite

Nw-Digital-Radio Calendar <main@...>
 
Edited

Invitation:
John - K7VE Presentation at Great Salt Lake Hamfest

When:
Saturday, 9 July 2016
1:30pm to 2:30pm
America/Mountain

Where:
9750 300 W, Sandy, UT 84070 (Salt Lake CC - Larry H Miller Campus Room PSET 116)

Description:

DIGITAL VOICE AND DATA NETWORKING MODES AND DIRECTION

John Hays – K7VE (PSET 116)

This session will provide: A comparison of the various Digital Voice modes: D-STAR, DMR, Fusion, and Codec-2, A short overview of how to economically establish a multi-mode digital voice repeater, A peek into emerging networks for amateur radio.

Topic: Emergency Communications, VHF, UHF, Digital Modes, Appropriate for beginners

http://www.thegreatsaltlakehamfest.org/