Date   
Re: P25?

"hf_user" <zcopters@...>
 

Keep in mind that P25 II TDMA is only capable of network repeater operation (read that "trunked"). Simplex is not supported on Phase II, as there is no way to accomplish the sync requirement for 2 subscriber sets in direct simplex mode, thus infrastructure is required.

Larry
WA7LZO

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., "John D. Hays" <john@...> wrote:

Considering 3000, yes.

P25 - IMBE
P25 Phase 2 - AMBE

I don't think the 3000 does IMBE.

------------------------------
John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
<http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
<http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>



On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM, William Stillwell - KI4SWY <
wkstill@...> wrote:

**


But you said you would be using the AMBE Vocoder 3000? Which would not
require the use of mbelib at all.


PAPA System Net this Thursday

"John D. Hays" <john@...>
 

The PAPA System (http://www.papasys.com/) has invited me to participate on their net this Thursday on D-PLUS REF012C at 8PM Pacific (0300Z).  

Apparently there is a lot of discussion about the UDR56K in Southern California.

I will be giving a general overview of the genesis, technology, and applications for the UDR56K, followed by a Q&A for net check-ins.

Since this will be "on the air" over amateur radio, I will not be able to provide any responses to questions related to sales or support.

The net can be accessed for check-in on REF012C. REF012 is also available as an audio feed at http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=5429


John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  

Re: P25?

n9rhg@...
 

The 3000 does support P25 P1 and P2, and DMR per there web site. The 3003 will also support the dPMR (the protocol that the new Yaesu radio is using) AMBE+2 and beond are said to be backwards compatable to IMBE.


Darren N9RHG


From: "John D. Hays"
To: UniversalDigitalRadio@...
Sent: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 8:20:41 PM
Subject: Re: [UniversalDigitalRadio] Re: P25?

 

Considering 3000, yes.  


P25 - IMBE
P25 Phase 2 - AMBE

I don't think the 3000 does IMBE.


John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  



On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM, William Stillwell - KI4SWY <wkstill@...> wrote:
 

But you said you would be using the AMBE Vocoder 3000? Which would not require the use of mbelib at all.


Re: P25?

"John D. Hays" <john@...>
 

Here is the manual for the AMBE 3000 (the 3003 is the same but with three vocoder paths) -- http://www.dvsinc.com/manuals/AMBE-3000_manual.pdf

On page 84 see the footnotes.  

The marketing literature does claim IMBE compatibility http://www.dvsinc.com/products/usb_3k.htm  --  I don't find IMBE mentioned at all in the manual.

If it does support IMBE, that would be a bonus and a developer would be able to incorporate it as part of their stack.


John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  



On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 11:53 AM, <n9rhg@...> wrote:
 

The 3000 does support P25 P1 and P2, and DMR per there web site. The 3003 will also support the dPMR (the protocol that the new Yaesu radio is using) AMBE+2 and beond are said to be backwards compatable to IMBE.


Darren N9RHG


Re: PAPA System Net this Thursday

Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...>
 

I'll try to check in using my IC-91A via the W8TEN node here, but I can't promise I won't fall asleep durig the net (or before). I will probably be on that net the Thursday before Field Day (the 21) as I took a couple days off work to make sure I got the weekend off.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU


------------------------------

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 1:22 PM EDT John D. Hays wrote:

The PAPA System (http://www.papasys.com/) has invited me to participate on
their net this Thursday on D-PLUS REF012C at 8PM Pacific (0300Z).

Apparently there is a lot of discussion about the UDR56K in Southern
California.

I will be giving a general overview of the genesis, technology, and
applications for the UDR56K, followed by a Q&A for net check-ins.

Since this will be "on the air" over amateur radio, I will not be able to
provide any responses to questions related to sales or support.

The net can be accessed for check-in on REF012C. REF012 is also available
as an audio feed at
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=5429

------------------------------
John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
<http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
<http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

We've hit 300+ Members

"John" <john@...>
 

In less than 3 weeks we have exceeded 300 members on the list. It's gratifying to see the interest in this new radio and the great ideas and comments coming to the list.

Keep those creative juices flowing!

-- John

Re: P25?

n9rhg@...
 

Seeing that P25 Phase 2 is almost the same as DMR, how do they do it?! Phase 2 will do the same as DMR, use time slot 1 only on simplex. It will work, just only one time slot - one user at a time.


Darren N9RHG


From: "hf_user" To: UniversalDigitalRadio@...
Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 8:29:29 AM
Subject: [UniversalDigitalRadio] Re: P25?

 

Keep in mind that P25 II TDMA is only capable of network repeater operation (read that "trunked"). Simplex is not supported on Phase II, as there is no way to accomplish the sync requirement for 2 subscriber sets in direct simplex mode, thus infrastructure is required.

Larry
WA7LZO


--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., "John D. Hays" wrote:
>
> Considering 3000, yes.
>
> P25 - IMBE
> P25 Phase 2 - AMBE
>
> I don't think the 3000 does IMBE.
>
> ------------------------------
> John D. Hays
> K7VE
> PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
> <http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
> <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>
>
>
>
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 8:13 PM, William Stillwell - KI4SWY <
> wkstill@...> wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > But you said you would be using the AMBE Vocoder 3000? Which would not
> > require the use of mbelib at all.
> >
> >
> >
>

Interface Screen Shot

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>
 

This is a quick screen shot of what the interface for winlink mail looks like. There will be more detail in the upcoming app note on the website.

Let's walk thru it.

When I sit at my home station doing RMS mail I typically have a TNC connected to the serial port/radio and the following windows open.

An email client
A console window to control connecting
A spreadsheet of local gateways containing frequency and other parameters

Now with the UDR 56K on the network I just open a browser window and point to the IP Address.

The email client is on another tab. It's neomail, a free webmail program but you could configure your regular email client to handle things.

The lower left frame is the control console. It's shell in a box and has sshed into the UDR. On shipping software, this will default to display only, but you can enable it in preferences and drive everything from the command line.

The right frame is also shell in a box running ax25spy. I love this feature. When I run airmail I can see the process but I can't see any other packet traffic. This way I get both at the same time. Think of it as a debug window.

And finally the upper left has a table which contains my local gateway info. The difference here is that it actually controls the radio, so all I have to do is click on a gateway and the frequency switching and connection is automatic. I can even check one or more gateways and have the system auto-connect to each of them in succesion.

You can export/import the table in csv format.

Lots more to come in the months ahead including multi-user login support.

Bryan

Re: Interface Screen Shot

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>
 

The screen shot is in Files

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., "k7udr" <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

This is a quick screen shot of what the interface for winlink mail looks like. There will be more detail in the upcoming app note on the website.

Let's walk thru it.

When I sit at my home station doing RMS mail I typically have a TNC connected to the serial port/radio and the following windows open.

An email client
A console window to control connecting
A spreadsheet of local gateways containing frequency and other parameters

Now with the UDR 56K on the network I just open a browser window and point to the IP Address.

The email client is on another tab. It's neomail, a free webmail program but you could configure your regular email client to handle things.

The lower left frame is the control console. It's shell in a box and has sshed into the UDR. On shipping software, this will default to display only, but you can enable it in preferences and drive everything from the command line.

The right frame is also shell in a box running ax25spy. I love this feature. When I run airmail I can see the process but I can't see any other packet traffic. This way I get both at the same time. Think of it as a debug window.

And finally the upper left has a table which contains my local gateway info. The difference here is that it actually controls the radio, so all I have to do is click on a gateway and the frequency switching and connection is automatic. I can even check one or more gateways and have the system auto-connect to each of them in succesion.

You can export/import the table in csv format.

Lots more to come in the months ahead including multi-user login support.

Bryan

Re: Interface Screen Shot

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>
 

Don't read too much into the table entries. That system was set up for software testing using an external 1200 TNC on my existing 220 Gateway.

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., "k7udr" <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

This is a quick screen shot of what the interface for winlink mail looks like. There will be more detail in the upcoming app note on the website.

Let's walk thru it.

When I sit at my home station doing RMS mail I typically have a TNC connected to the serial port/radio and the following windows open.

An email client
A console window to control connecting
A spreadsheet of local gateways containing frequency and other parameters

Now with the UDR 56K on the network I just open a browser window and point to the IP Address.

The email client is on another tab. It's neomail, a free webmail program but you could configure your regular email client to handle things.

The lower left frame is the control console. It's shell in a box and has sshed into the UDR. On shipping software, this will default to display only, but you can enable it in preferences and drive everything from the command line.

The right frame is also shell in a box running ax25spy. I love this feature. When I run airmail I can see the process but I can't see any other packet traffic. This way I get both at the same time. Think of it as a debug window.

And finally the upper left has a table which contains my local gateway info. The difference here is that it actually controls the radio, so all I have to do is click on a gateway and the frequency switching and connection is automatic. I can even check one or more gateways and have the system auto-connect to each of them in succesion.

You can export/import the table in csv format.

Lots more to come in the months ahead including multi-user login support.

Bryan

Re: Interface Screen Shot

Tyler Griffiths <tyler.griffiths@...>
 

I see no pictures...


On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM, k7udr <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
 

This is a quick screen shot of what the interface for winlink mail looks like. There will be more detail in the upcoming app note on the website.

Let's walk thru it.

When I sit at my home station doing RMS mail I typically have a TNC connected to the serial port/radio and the following windows open.

An email client
A console window to control connecting
A spreadsheet of local gateways containing frequency and other parameters

Now with the UDR 56K on the network I just open a browser window and point to the IP Address.

The email client is on another tab. It's neomail, a free webmail program but you could configure your regular email client to handle things.

The lower left frame is the control console. It's shell in a box and has sshed into the UDR. On shipping software, this will default to display only, but you can enable it in preferences and drive everything from the command line.

The right frame is also shell in a box running ax25spy. I love this feature. When I run airmail I can see the process but I can't see any other packet traffic. This way I get both at the same time. Think of it as a debug window.

And finally the upper left has a table which contains my local gateway info. The difference here is that it actually controls the radio, so all I have to do is click on a gateway and the frequency switching and connection is automatic. I can even check one or more gateways and have the system auto-connect to each of them in succesion.

You can export/import the table in csv format.

Lots more to come in the months ahead including multi-user login support.

Bryan




--
Tyler Griffiths
N7UWX

See where I am:
http://map.findu.com/n7uwx-12

Re: Interface Screen Shot

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>
 

Look in Files

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Tyler Griffiths <tyler.griffiths@...> wrote:

I see no pictures...

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM, k7udr <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

**


This is a quick screen shot of what the interface for winlink mail looks
like. There will be more detail in the upcoming app note on the website.

Let's walk thru it.

When I sit at my home station doing RMS mail I typically have a TNC
connected to the serial port/radio and the following windows open.

An email client
A console window to control connecting
A spreadsheet of local gateways containing frequency and other parameters

Now with the UDR 56K on the network I just open a browser window and point
to the IP Address.

The email client is on another tab. It's neomail, a free webmail program
but you could configure your regular email client to handle things.

The lower left frame is the control console. It's shell in a box and has
sshed into the UDR. On shipping software, this will default to display
only, but you can enable it in preferences and drive everything from the
command line.

The right frame is also shell in a box running ax25spy. I love this
feature. When I run airmail I can see the process but I can't see any other
packet traffic. This way I get both at the same time. Think of it as a
debug window.

And finally the upper left has a table which contains my local gateway
info. The difference here is that it actually controls the radio, so all I
have to do is click on a gateway and the frequency switching and connection
is automatic. I can even check one or more gateways and have the system
auto-connect to each of them in succesion.

You can export/import the table in csv format.

Lots more to come in the months ahead including multi-user login support.

Bryan




--
Tyler Griffiths
N7UWX

See where I am:
http://map.findu.com/n7uwx-12

Call for Technical Papers at 2012 ARRL/TAPR DCC (Digital Communications Conference), Atlanta, GA

Mark Thompson <wb9qzb_groups@...>
 

 

Papers Requested for ARRL/TAPR Digital Communications Conference

 
06/01/2012
Amateurs are invited to submit technical papers for presentation at the 31st Annual ARRL and TAPR Digital Communications Conference to be held September 21-23, 2012 at the Sheraton Gateway Airport Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia.
These papers will also be published in the Conference Proceedings (you do not need to attend the conference to have your paper included in the Proceedings).
The submission deadline is July 31. Please send papers to: Maty Weinberg, ARRL, 225 Main St, Newington, CT 06111. Or you can make your submission via e-mail to: maty@.... 
For more information about the conference, see the Tucson Amateur Packet Radio www.tapr.org/dcc, or call 972- 671-8277.
 

Re: Interface Screen Shot

John Ronan <jpronans@...>
 

On 07/06/12 23:54, k7udr wrote:
The screen shot is in Files

Thanks for that.

John
EI7IG

Processor architecture, gnuradio

Darren Long <darren.long@...>
 

Hi,

Can we get any ideas on what processor architecture, amount of RAM and
internal storage the device will have, please. Even the vaguest hints
are welcome at this stage. I'm wondering if gnuradio might find its way
in there somehow.

Darren, G0HWW

USB touch screen

"VK5ZEA" <michaelcarey@...>
 

Hi Everybody,

I know it's early days and all... and I'm probably thinking way too much this early on in development...

I've been thinking of ways to control the UDR56K-4 without having a PC connected.

Would the processor in the radio be powerful enough to drive a USB connected touch screen... something like the Mimo Monitors products?

A very functional but simple control system could be quite easy to come up with that works on a small LCD screen.

Just an idea...

Michael.
VK5ZEA

Re: USB touch screen

"John D. Hays" <john@...>
 

I would recommend powering it separately (either directly or through a USB hub), but the USB connection is there and its a matter of having a driver (Debian Linux).  A simple text based interface would put less tax on the processor, but I have run X-Windows over Ethernet to an external system without a problem.

There is also the option of the Web interface on WiFi to an iOS or Android device (phone or tablet), or possibly custom application written to do the same  over those devices.

The CPU on the radio is from the same manufacturer as this  http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-plug  -- though a different generation and slower (800 Mhz.) speed.


John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  



On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 4:04 PM, VK5ZEA <michaelcarey@...> wrote:
 

Hi Everybody,

I know it's early days and all... and I'm probably thinking way too much this early on in development...

I've been thinking of ways to control the UDR56K-4 without having a PC connected.

Would the processor in the radio be powerful enough to drive a USB connected touch screen... something like the Mimo Monitors products?

A very functional but simple control system could be quite easy to come up with that works on a small LCD screen.

Just an idea...

Michael.
VK5ZEA

__._,_

Re: Processor architecture, gnuradio

"John D. Hays" <john@...>
 

In line.

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Darren Long <darren.long@...> wrote:
 

Hi,

Can we get any ideas on what processor architecture,

Marvell PXA168
 

amount of RAM and


Currently 256 MB, may be 512 MB in production, depending on price curve for memory
 

internal storage the device will have, please.

microSD - probably 4 GB. It is user replaceable (not recommended), but not easily accessed (internal) -- watch for tested Manufacturer / Model.  Not all microSD are recommended for a boot device. I have a 8 GB in my lab bench unit, loaded with a development chain (compiler, linker, libraries), OS, and many applications and haven't hit 2 GB yet. 
 

Even the vaguest hints
are welcome at this stage. I'm wondering if gnuradio might find its way
in there somehow.

It is not a software defined radio.  Modulation is performed inside the RF-IC. We really like what SDR does, but for VHF/UHF+ digital modulation there are well known techniques and the RF-IC supports most of them. Using built-in modulators keeps part count and cost down.
 

Darren, G0HWW




John D. Hays
K7VE
PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223 
  


Re: USB touch screen

Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...>
 

The USB Ports are powered by a 12 to 5V buck regulator and specced for the full 500ma x 4 = 2A.

Bryan

On Jun 9, 2012, at 4:04 PM, VK5ZEA wrote:

 

Hi Everybody,

I know it's early days and all... and I'm probably thinking way too much this early on in development...

I've been thinking of ways to control the UDR56K-4 without having a PC connected.

Would the processor in the radio be powerful enough to drive a USB connected touch screen... something like the Mimo Monitors products?

A very functional but simple control system could be quite easy to come up with that works on a small LCD screen.

Just an idea...

Michael.
VK5ZEA


Re: USB touch screen

"William Stillwell - KI4SWY" <wkstill@...>
 

I would use a friendly arm  to connect to the udr :P

 

 

From: UniversalDigitalRadio@... [mailto:UniversalDigitalRadio@...] On Behalf Of VK5ZEA
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 7:05 PM
To: UniversalDigitalRadio@...
Subject: [UniversalDigitalRadio] USB touch screen

 

 

Hi Everybody,

I know it's early days and all... and I'm probably thinking way too much this early on in development...

I've been thinking of ways to control the UDR56K-4 without having a PC connected.

Would the processor in the radio be powerful enough to drive a USB connected touch screen... something like the Mimo Monitors products?

A very functional but simple control system could be quite easy to come up with that works on a small LCD screen.

Just an idea...

Michael.
VK5ZEA