Date   
Re: Good 2m rig?

WA7SKG <wa7skg@...>
 

You are comparing apples and oranges. The "Data Port" on ham radios is a misnomer. It is a port for audio connections, just like the microphone jack. It typically has PTT, TX and RX audio (often from two locations in the radio for wide/narrow audio bandwidth), COS, and other signals. This is designed to use with some hardware interface (TNC, modem, etc.) or sound card (Signalink, etc.) device. Your USB connectors are for just that, USB connections for power and data transfer. Trying to use a mini-USB (4 pins) connector or micro-USB (5 pins) for an analog signal cable is a recipe for disaster.

When manufacturers first started interfacing with radios, they simply used the microphone connector. This often required the use of an external switch box go go between the TNC and the microphone so the radio could be used for dual purposes. Then, users wanted to hook both devices simultaneously, plus wanted added features (discriminator tap for UHF packet, COS, etc.) The mini-DIN 6 pin connector was an industry standard at the time, used for PS/2 connections to computers and other purposes. Readily available, inexpensive, smaller than Molex or DB connectors, it was a good choice and became somewhat a standard for the purpose.

So, hopefully, that may answer your "Why do so many of you want a DIN-6 port?" question.

Your other comments regarding the different HT/computer interfaces, compatibilities between adapter/OS, drivers, baud rates, etc. are a totally different issue. That is regarding purely data interfaces via USB and converted serial data. Completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand.

73,
Michael WA7SKG


Al Szymanski via Groups.Io wrote on 5/24/19 2:01 PM:

Not so much as a reply , but a genuine question.
Why do so many of you want a DIN-6 port? Technology-wise, it's almost 50 years old. It's huge. If you could , wouldn't you rather have a 2-Meter rig with a Mini-USB, Micro-USB or ( yuck ) USB-C ? Is it the throughput? Is it because "It's what all my cables are already" ?
My perspective is that it's an issue to connect any HT to a computer and have it behave nicely. 1) gotta have the right USB to whatever is offered as a data/mic/speaker port. 2) depending on the OS , you gotta have / find the drivers for this unique cable so that the computer will recognize it and 3) now that the radio and computer "CAN" talk to each other, can it communicate? Was that 9600 baud or 14400? Is there a CRC?
Our cellphones do this with nearly no effort - why can't manufacturers?
Al
K7AOZ

Re: Good 2m rig?

Doug Henry
 

The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 16:24, WA7SKG via Groups.Io <wa7skg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You are comparing apples and oranges. The "Data Port" on ham radios is a
misnomer. It is a port for audio connections, just like the microphone
jack. It typically has PTT, TX and RX audio (often from two locations in
the radio for wide/narrow audio bandwidth), COS, and other signals. This
is designed to use with some hardware interface (TNC, modem, etc.) or
sound card (Signalink, etc.) device. Your USB connectors are for just
that, USB connections for power and data transfer. Trying to use a
mini-USB (4 pins) connector or micro-USB (5 pins) for an analog signal
cable is a recipe for disaster.

When manufacturers first started interfacing with radios, they simply
used the microphone connector. This often required the use of an
external switch box go go between the TNC and the microphone so the
radio could be used for dual purposes. Then, users wanted to hook both
devices simultaneously, plus wanted added features (discriminator tap
for UHF packet, COS, etc.) The mini-DIN 6 pin connector was an industry
standard at the time, used for PS/2 connections to computers and other
purposes. Readily available, inexpensive, smaller than Molex or DB
connectors, it was a good choice and became somewhat a standard for the
purpose.

So, hopefully, that may answer your "Why do so many of you want a DIN-6
port?" question.

Your other comments regarding the different HT/computer interfaces,
compatibilities between adapter/OS, drivers, baud rates, etc. are a
totally different issue. That is regarding purely data interfaces via
USB and converted serial data. Completely irrelevant to the conversation
at hand.

73,
Michael WA7SKG


Al Szymanski via Groups.Io wrote on 5/24/19 2:01 PM:
> Not so much as a reply , but a genuine question.
> Why do so many of you want a DIN-6 port? Technology-wise, it's almost 50
> years old. It's huge. If you could , wouldn't you rather have a 2-Meter
> rig with a Mini-USB, Micro-USB or ( yuck ) USB-C ? Is it the throughput?
> Is it because "It's what all my cables are already" ?
> My perspective is that it's an issue to connect any HT to a computer and
> have it behave nicely. 1) gotta have the right USB to whatever is
> offered as a data/mic/speaker port. 2) depending on the OS , you gotta
> have / find the drivers for this unique cable so that the computer will
> recognize it and 3) now that the radio and computer "CAN" talk to each
> other, can it communicate? Was that 9600 baud or 14400? Is there a CRC?
> Our cellphones do this with nearly no effort - why can't manufacturers?
> Al
> K7AOZ



Re: Good 2m rig?

 

The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.
6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?

Re: Good 2m rig?

Doug Henry
 

Bill, 6 pin mini din 1200 and 9600  although I've only used on 1200.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?



Re: 2m rig Update

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>
 

Follow-up to the cable issue.

I've double checked the setup.  If I put the hand mic back in line and Press PTT, my receiving radio breaks squelch, so it would seem that the PTT circuit is not activating from DRAWS.

I checked with Basil's notes and I've got PTT setup for 12 & 23.  For grins, I've reversed the GPIO numbers and cables such that I've hit all combos of l/r ports and 12/13 GPIOs. still no joy.

Any thoughts?


On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 7:25 PM Temporarily Offline <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
So far I can receive only.

I'm getting a little screwed up in the pin labeling and what side of the cable I'm on.

What I have so far:

Cable from DRAWS w/end cut reveals

Pin 6 Green
Pin 5 Black
Pin 4 Orange
Pin 3 Yellow
Pin 2 Brown
Pin 1 Red

Radio uses an RJ-45 MIC cable and a speaker audio

Pin 1 N/C
Pin 2 DC 8V
Pin 3 GND
Pin 4 PTT
Pin 5 GND (MIC)
Pin 6 MIC
Pin 7 N/C
Pin 8 DTMF Data

Plus TRS on rear audio 1/8th jack

I have
DRAWS = Radio
1 = 6
2 = 5
3 = 4
4 = N/C
5 = Rear Speaker TIP
6 = N/C
GND = N/C

Any thoughts?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 6:47 PM David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> wrote:
https://imgur.com/iMaXWRR

Not sure if it is correct but is sure fills up my map.

Re: 2m rig Update

Basil Gunn
 

To debug PTT issues:
Use the 'How to use measure_deviate.sh' notes here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation

Use left & right connector locations and either tune a second radio to
the same frequency as your test radio so you can hear the tone or watch
your radio to see if it transmits. If that doesn't work you have a cable
problem.

/Basil


Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> writes:

Follow-up to the cable issue.

I've double checked the setup. If I put the hand mic back in line and
Press PTT, my receiving radio breaks squelch, so it would seem that the PTT
circuit is not activating from DRAWS.

I checked with Basil's notes and I've got PTT setup for 12 & 23. For
grins, I've reversed the GPIO numbers and cables such that I've hit all
combos of l/r ports and 12/13 GPIOs. still no joy.

Any thoughts?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 7:25 PM Temporarily Offline <
temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:

So far I can receive only.

I'm getting a little screwed up in the pin labeling and what side of the
cable I'm on.

What I have so far:

Cable from DRAWS w/end cut reveals

Pin 6 Green
Pin 5 Black
Pin 4 Orange
Pin 3 Yellow
Pin 2 Brown
Pin 1 Red

Radio uses an RJ-45 MIC cable and a speaker audio

Pin 1 N/C
Pin 2 DC 8V
Pin 3 GND
Pin 4 PTT
Pin 5 GND (MIC)
Pin 6 MIC
Pin 7 N/C
Pin 8 DTMF Data

Plus TRS on rear audio 1/8th jack

I have
DRAWS = Radio
1 = 6
2 = 5
3 = 4
4 = N/C
5 = Rear Speaker TIP
6 = N/C
GND = N/C

Any thoughts?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 6:47 PM David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> wrote:

https://imgur.com/iMaXWRR

Not sure if it is correct but is sure fills up my map.


Re: 2m rig Update

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>
 

I got some time today (its raining!) to play with this.

Initially the measure_deviation.sh script would run and not trip the PTT circuit.  So I re-wired the cable and after looking more closely, I don't even understand why it worked in the first place.  I think originally I had the speaker from the radio connected to the ground pin on the draws din6 connector???  maybe the ground is "noisy enough" that it got picked up elsewhere???

Here is my rewire:

Radio MIC   to DRAWS AFOUT
Radio PTT   to DRAWS PTT
Radio GND   to DRAWS GND
Radio AFOUT to DRAWS AFIN

(I'm guessing that a common ground would help out.  The DRAWS and the radio are plugged into the same power supply, so this could also be creating a loop)

And the results are that measure_deviate.sh will trip the PTT, but will not stop PTTing.

The DRAWS will both send and receive APRS messages using XASTIR.  XASTIR repeats the "text message" several times and has the same "won't stop PTTing" problem.

So its progress... but it comes at a price.

1. Any ideas on the won't stop PTTing issue?
2. If you think I'm making a ground loop and shouldn't let me know.

Thanks,
- Steve


On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 8:19 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

To debug PTT issues:
Use the 'How to use measure_deviate.sh' notes here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation

Use left & right connector locations and either tune a second radio to
the same frequency as your test radio so you can hear the tone or watch
your radio to see if it transmits. If that doesn't work you have a cable
problem.

/Basil


Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> writes:

> Follow-up to the cable issue.
>
> I've double checked the setup.  If I put the hand mic back in line and
> Press PTT, my receiving radio breaks squelch, so it would seem that the PTT
> circuit is not activating from DRAWS.
>
> I checked with Basil's notes and I've got PTT setup for 12 & 23.  For
> grins, I've reversed the GPIO numbers and cables such that I've hit all
> combos of l/r ports and 12/13 GPIOs. still no joy.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 7:25 PM Temporarily Offline <
> temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
>
>> So far I can receive only.
>>
>> I'm getting a little screwed up in the pin labeling and what side of the
>> cable I'm on.
>>
>> What I have so far:
>>
>> Cable from DRAWS w/end cut reveals
>>
>> Pin 6 Green
>> Pin 5 Black
>> Pin 4 Orange
>> Pin 3 Yellow
>> Pin 2 Brown
>> Pin 1 Red
>>
>> Radio uses an RJ-45 MIC cable and a speaker audio
>>
>> Pin 1 N/C
>> Pin 2 DC 8V
>> Pin 3 GND
>> Pin 4 PTT
>> Pin 5 GND (MIC)
>> Pin 6 MIC
>> Pin 7 N/C
>> Pin 8 DTMF Data
>>
>> Plus TRS on rear audio 1/8th jack
>>
>> I have
>> DRAWS = Radio
>> 1 = 6
>> 2 = 5
>> 3 = 4
>> 4 = N/C
>> 5 = Rear Speaker TIP
>> 6 = N/C
>> GND = N/C
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 6:47 PM David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> wrote:
>>
>>> https://imgur.com/iMaXWRR
>>>
>>> Not sure if it is correct but is sure fills up my map.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>



Re: 2m rig Update

Basil Gunn
 

Verify the DRAWS hat
--------------------
Disconnect the cable from your radio but plug into DRAWS hat
on the open connector put your volt meter on what you think is the PTT pin

Manually turn the gpio for PTT on & off

Left connector:
PTT On:
gpio -g write 12 1
PTT Off:
gpio -g write 12 0
PTT Check:
gio -g read 12

Right connector:
PTT On:
gpio -g write 23 1
PTT Off:
gpio -g write 23 0
PTT Check:
gio -g read 23

Verify your radio
-----------------

Disconnect the cable from DRAWS hat & connect to radio.
Ground the pin you think is the PTT pin ... did your radio transmit?
Un-ground the PTT pin ... did the radio stop transmitting?

/Basil



Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> writes:

I got some time today (its raining!) to play with this.

Initially the measure_deviation.sh script would run and not trip the PTT
circuit. So I re-wired the cable and after looking more closely, I don't
even understand why it worked in the first place. I think originally I had
the speaker from the radio connected to the ground pin on the draws din6
connector??? maybe the ground is "noisy enough" that it got picked up
elsewhere???

Here is my rewire:

Radio MIC to DRAWS AFOUT
Radio PTT to DRAWS PTT
Radio GND to DRAWS GND
Radio AFOUT to DRAWS AFIN

(I'm guessing that a common ground would help out. The DRAWS and the radio
are plugged into the same power supply, so this could also be creating a
loop)

And the results are that measure_deviate.sh will trip the PTT, but will not
stop PTTing.

The DRAWS will both send and receive APRS messages using XASTIR. XASTIR
repeats the "text message" several times and has the same "won't stop
PTTing" problem.

So its progress... but it comes at a price.

1. Any ideas on the won't stop PTTing issue?
2. If you think I'm making a ground loop and shouldn't let me know.

Thanks,
- Steve

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 8:19 PM Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:


To debug PTT issues:
Use the 'How to use measure_deviate.sh' notes here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation

Use left & right connector locations and either tune a second radio to
the same frequency as your test radio so you can hear the tone or watch
your radio to see if it transmits. If that doesn't work you have a cable
problem.

/Basil


Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> writes:

Follow-up to the cable issue.

I've double checked the setup. If I put the hand mic back in line and
Press PTT, my receiving radio breaks squelch, so it would seem that the
PTT
circuit is not activating from DRAWS.

I checked with Basil's notes and I've got PTT setup for 12 & 23. For
grins, I've reversed the GPIO numbers and cables such that I've hit all
combos of l/r ports and 12/13 GPIOs. still no joy.

Any thoughts?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 7:25 PM Temporarily Offline <
temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:

So far I can receive only.

I'm getting a little screwed up in the pin labeling and what side of the
cable I'm on.

What I have so far:

Cable from DRAWS w/end cut reveals

Pin 6 Green
Pin 5 Black
Pin 4 Orange
Pin 3 Yellow
Pin 2 Brown
Pin 1 Red

Radio uses an RJ-45 MIC cable and a speaker audio

Pin 1 N/C
Pin 2 DC 8V
Pin 3 GND
Pin 4 PTT
Pin 5 GND (MIC)
Pin 6 MIC
Pin 7 N/C
Pin 8 DTMF Data

Plus TRS on rear audio 1/8th jack

I have
DRAWS = Radio
1 = 6
2 = 5
3 = 4
4 = N/C
5 = Rear Speaker TIP
6 = N/C
GND = N/C

Any thoughts?

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 6:47 PM David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> wrote:

https://imgur.com/iMaXWRR

Not sure if it is correct but is sure fills up my map.




Re: 2m rig Update

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>
 

Thanks for getting back to me.

DRAWS Side:

Pin 3/Orange writing 1 to pin 12 will raise voltage to 4.22v
PTT light goes on

Pin 3/Orange writing 0 to pin 12 will lower voltage to 3.6mv
PTT light goes off

Removing the cable I think is PTT on the radio side and touching the ground on the DRAWS side (Pin 5) results in open transmit until removed.

New Development:  If I have radio and DRAWS connected properly I can turn on PTT with CLI.  When I turn off PTT at CLI, DRAWS PTT light goes out, THEN if I touch something to the PTT it adds enough resistance to pull the circuit down and turn off the radio.

So I tried some resistors in-line:

1.0k = Too Much PTT wouldn't open
____?
820 = Close, works, but  not very reliably
570 = Too Little PTT wouldn't close

outside of that, I'm either out of ideas or parts.

`gpio -g write 12 1 && sleep 1 && gpio -g write 12 0`

Any thoughts are welcome?


On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 2:17 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Verify the DRAWS hat
--------------------
Disconnect the cable from your radio but plug into DRAWS hat
on the open connector put your volt meter on what you think is the PTT pin

Manually turn the gpio for PTT on & off

Left connector:
PTT On:
gpio -g write 12 1
PTT Off:
gpio -g write 12 0
PTT Check:
gio -g read 12

Right connector:
PTT On:
gpio -g write 23 1
PTT Off:
gpio -g write 23 0
PTT Check:
gio -g read 23

Verify your radio
-----------------

Disconnect the cable from DRAWS hat & connect to radio.
Ground the pin you think is the PTT pin ... did your radio transmit?
Un-ground the PTT pin ... did the radio stop transmitting?

/Basil



Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> writes:

> I got some time today (its raining!) to play with this.
>
> Initially the measure_deviation.sh script would run and not trip the PTT
> circuit.  So I re-wired the cable and after looking more closely, I don't
> even understand why it worked in the first place.  I think originally I had
> the speaker from the radio connected to the ground pin on the draws din6
> connector???  maybe the ground is "noisy enough" that it got picked up
> elsewhere???
>
> Here is my rewire:
>
> Radio MIC   to DRAWS AFOUT
> Radio PTT   to DRAWS PTT
> Radio GND   to DRAWS GND
> Radio AFOUT to DRAWS AFIN
>
> (I'm guessing that a common ground would help out.  The DRAWS and the radio
> are plugged into the same power supply, so this could also be creating a
> loop)
>
> And the results are that measure_deviate.sh will trip the PTT, but will not
> stop PTTing.
>
> The DRAWS will both send and receive APRS messages using XASTIR.  XASTIR
> repeats the "text message" several times and has the same "won't stop
> PTTing" problem.
>
> So its progress... but it comes at a price.
>
> 1. Any ideas on the won't stop PTTing issue?
> 2. If you think I'm making a ground loop and shouldn't let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> - Steve
>
> On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 8:19 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
>
>>
>> To debug PTT issues:
>> Use the 'How to use measure_deviate.sh' notes here:
>> https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation
>>
>> Use left & right connector locations and either tune a second radio to
>> the same frequency as your test radio so you can hear the tone or watch
>> your radio to see if it transmits. If that doesn't work you have a cable
>> problem.
>>
>> /Basil
>>
>>
>> Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> writes:
>>
>> > Follow-up to the cable issue.
>> >
>> > I've double checked the setup.  If I put the hand mic back in line and
>> > Press PTT, my receiving radio breaks squelch, so it would seem that the
>> PTT
>> > circuit is not activating from DRAWS.
>> >
>> > I checked with Basil's notes and I've got PTT setup for 12 & 23.  For
>> > grins, I've reversed the GPIO numbers and cables such that I've hit all
>> > combos of l/r ports and 12/13 GPIOs. still no joy.
>> >
>> > Any thoughts?
>> >
>> > On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 7:25 PM Temporarily Offline <
>> > temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
>> >
>> >> So far I can receive only.
>> >>
>> >> I'm getting a little screwed up in the pin labeling and what side of the
>> >> cable I'm on.
>> >>
>> >> What I have so far:
>> >>
>> >> Cable from DRAWS w/end cut reveals
>> >>
>> >> Pin 6 Green
>> >> Pin 5 Black
>> >> Pin 4 Orange
>> >> Pin 3 Yellow
>> >> Pin 2 Brown
>> >> Pin 1 Red
>> >>
>> >> Radio uses an RJ-45 MIC cable and a speaker audio
>> >>
>> >> Pin 1 N/C
>> >> Pin 2 DC 8V
>> >> Pin 3 GND
>> >> Pin 4 PTT
>> >> Pin 5 GND (MIC)
>> >> Pin 6 MIC
>> >> Pin 7 N/C
>> >> Pin 8 DTMF Data
>> >>
>> >> Plus TRS on rear audio 1/8th jack
>> >>
>> >> I have
>> >> DRAWS = Radio
>> >> 1 = 6
>> >> 2 = 5
>> >> 3 = 4
>> >> 4 = N/C
>> >> 5 = Rear Speaker TIP
>> >> 6 = N/C
>> >> GND = N/C
>> >>
>> >> Any thoughts?
>> >>
>> >> On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 6:47 PM David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> https://imgur.com/iMaXWRR
>> >>>
>> >>> Not sure if it is correct but is sure fills up my map.
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >
>> >
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>




Re: Using a PiDrive with Draws Hat #draws #pidrive

okiejim
 

Thank you Christopher,
I kinda knew that but my attempt  was to use the 12 volt input to power everything. I am using the draws in my RV/ToyHauler and 12volt amps do fluctuate during times of no hookups. I appreciate your help. I ended up using the PiDrive as my DNS server and NAS and the Draws will be separate for the radio work.  The actual current draw will be less this way, as the radio/draws will not be on all of the time.

Re: Using a PiDrive with Draws Hat #draws #pidrive

k6acj
 

I’ve been booting from the external Toshiba 500gig USB drive for years but the Pi still needs /boot on the SD card to read the configuration then continues booting from the external drive.  In your case are you saying the SD card is completely eliminated if the PiDrive is used ?

Building the external boot is not too hard: DD the SD image to the HD then figure out the Linux ID of the external HD, edit I think it is /boot/config.txt with the external ID and reboot.  I wrote up the routine on the rasperry pi forums long ago but it should still be there, search boot external hard drive.      Bill acj 


On May 23, 2019, at 2:48 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

From an Operating System point of view, "Compass" is Raspbian Linux.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 1:58 PM okiejim <kd6vpe@...> wrote:
I feel soooo bad you guys. I  have not updated this for you. I did get my draws hat working fine on the new PI3B+. It is working just fine. I never tried again on the piDrive as it was working with the new PI and I wanted to play for awhile. My HF rig just bit the dust yesterday and I have to send it off for repair. So now is the time I guess to try the piDrive again. I do want to make that work because of the elimination of the SD Card requirement. With the PiDrive you can boot from the harddrive. I was hoping to be able to do the same with Compass Linux. So we shall try sometime this week and see what happens again. Wish me luck.



--


John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

   

Re: Using a PiDrive with Draws Hat #draws #pidrive

 


On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 8:54 AM k6acj <k6acj@...> wrote:
I’ve been booting from the external Toshiba 500gig USB drive for years but the Pi still needs /boot on the SD card to read the configuration then continues booting from the external drive.  In your case are you saying the SD card is completely eliminated if the PiDrive is used ?

Building the external boot is not too hard: DD the SD image to the HD then figure out the Linux ID of the external HD, edit I think it is /boot/config.txt with the external ID and reboot.  I wrote up the routine on the rasperry pi forums long ago but it should still be there, search boot external hard drive.      Bill acj 


On May 23, 2019, at 2:48 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

From an Operating System point of view, "Compass" is Raspbian Linux.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 1:58 PM okiejim <kd6vpe@...> wrote:
I feel soooo bad you guys. I  have not updated this for you. I did get my draws hat working fine on the new PI3B+. It is working just fine. I never tried again on the piDrive as it was working with the new PI and I wanted to play for awhile. My HF rig just bit the dust yesterday and I have to send it off for repair. So now is the time I guess to try the piDrive again. I do want to make that work because of the elimination of the SD Card requirement. With the PiDrive you can boot from the harddrive. I was hoping to be able to do the same with Compass Linux. So we shall try sometime this week and see what happens again. Wish me luck.



--


John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

   



--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

 

Re: Using a PiDrive with Draws Hat #draws #pidrive

Sam Wash
 

Yes

 

On May 28, 2019, at 9:03 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:


On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 8:54 AM k6acj <k6acj@...> wrote:
I’ve been booting from the external Toshiba 500gig USB drive for years but the Pi still needs /boot on the SD card to read the configuration then continues booting from the external drive.  In your case are you saying the SD card is completely eliminated if the PiDrive is used ?

Building the external boot is not too hard: DD the SD image to the HD then figure out the Linux ID of the external HD, edit I think it is /boot/config.txt with the external ID and reboot.  I wrote up the routine on the rasperry pi forums long ago but it should still be there, search boot external hard drive.      Bill acj 


On May 23, 2019, at 2:48 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

From an Operating System point of view, "Compass" is Raspbian Linux.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 1:58 PM okiejim <kd6vpe@...> wrote:
I feel soooo bad you guys. I  have not updated this for you. I did get my draws hat working fine on the new PI3B+. It is working just fine. I never tried again on the piDrive as it was working with the new PI and I wanted to play for awhile. My HF rig just bit the dust yesterday and I have to send it off for repair. So now is the time I guess to try the piDrive again. I do want to make that work because of the elimination of the SD Card requirement. With the PiDrive you can boot from the harddrive. I was hoping to be able to do the same with Compass Linux. So we shall try sometime this week and see what happens again. Wish me luck.



--


John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

   



--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

 

Re: Good 2m rig?

Keith Williamson
 

I now have a TM-V71a connected to my UDRC and am trying to get rigctl to work with it. I have an equivalent of a PG-5H connected to a serial/USB converter enumerated as /dev/ttyUSB0. My first test of the cable was with chirp and it seems to work fine. 

When I try ""rigctl -m 234 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -vvvv", I see multiple read_string timeouts and then rigctl enters command mode. When I try "f" to get the current vfo frequency, I get multiple read_string timeouts and finally "get_freq: error = Communication timed out". 

Are there specific serial params needed to talk to the V71a? (e.g. RTS/CTS flow control, specific baud rate)?

Thanks for any help!

Keith
KF7DRV



On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 4:13 PM Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
Bill, 6 pin mini din 1200 and 9600  although I've only used on 1200.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?



Re: Good 2m rig?

Basil Gunn
 

Check out a recent script (wlgw-check.sh) I wrote for rig control of the tm-v71.
https://github.com/n7nix/auto-rmsgw-find
This script iterates through a list of RMS gateways using a TM-V71a and Hamlib rigctl
/Basil


On May 31, 2019 5:43:34 PM PDT, Keith Williamson <hkwilliamson@...> wrote:
I now have a TM-V71a connected to my UDRC and am trying to get rigctl to work with it. I have an equivalent of a PG-5H connected to a serial/USB converter enumerated as /dev/ttyUSB0. My first test of the cable was with chirp and it seems to work fine. 

When I try ""rigctl -m 234 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -vvvv", I see multiple read_string timeouts and then rigctl enters command mode. When I try "f" to get the current vfo frequency, I get multiple read_string timeouts and finally "get_freq: error = Communication timed out". 

Are there specific serial params needed to talk to the V71a? (e.g. RTS/CTS flow control, specific baud rate)?

Thanks for any help!

Keith
KF7DRV



On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 4:13 PM Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
Bill, 6 pin mini din 1200 and 9600  although I've only used on 1200.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?



Re: Good 2m rig?

Basil Gunn
 

Try setting the PC baud rate on the radio to 57600.
Also try connecting a serial program like screen and typing in the radio ID string. It should respond with 'OK'.
screen /dev/ttyUSB0 57600

TMV71 or D700
When I'm in front of my radio again I'll find out which works.
/Basil n7nix


On May 31, 2019 10:45:22 PM PDT, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Check out a recent script (wlgw-check.sh) I wrote for rig control of the tm-v71.
https://github.com/n7nix/auto-rmsgw-find
This script iterates through a list of RMS gateways using a TM-V71a and Hamlib rigctl
/Basil

On May 31, 2019 5:43:34 PM PDT, Keith Williamson <hkwilliamson@...> wrote:
I now have a TM-V71a connected to my UDRC and am trying to get rigctl to work with it. I have an equivalent of a PG-5H connected to a serial/USB converter enumerated as /dev/ttyUSB0. My first test of the cable was with chirp and it seems to work fine. 

When I try ""rigctl -m 234 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -vvvv", I see multiple read_string timeouts and then rigctl enters command mode. When I try "f" to get the current vfo frequency, I get multiple read_string timeouts and finally "get_freq: error = Communication timed out". 

Are there specific serial params needed to talk to the V71a? (e.g. RTS/CTS flow control, specific baud rate)?

Thanks for any help!

Keith
KF7DRV



On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 4:13 PM Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
Bill, 6 pin mini din 1200 and 9600  although I've only used on 1200.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?



Re: Good 2m rig?

Keith Williamson
 

Thanks, Basil.

I had a couple of issues. I had tried to configure Fldigi to use Hamlib for rig control. That seemed to have hung the PC interface in the radio until I power cycled it. Additionally, I saw a few undervoltage warnings in dmesg so I switched to a beefier supply.

After changing out the Pi power supply and power cycling the radio, rigctl is working fine at 57600.

So now I need to figure out how to use Hamlib in Fldigi. Here is how I have it configured (although I currently have "Use Hamlib" unchecked). I figure I want to continue to use GPIO 23 for PTT (via the GPIO tab) so I have PTT via Hamlib command unchecked. 

What should be used for flow control? Anything on this panel pop out to you as an issue?

image.png

Thanks,

Keith
KF7DRV


On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 6:59 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Try setting the PC baud rate on the radio to 57600.
Also try connecting a serial program like screen and typing in the radio ID string. It should respond with 'OK'.
screen /dev/ttyUSB0 57600

TMV71 or D700
When I'm in front of my radio again I'll find out which works.
/Basil n7nix

On May 31, 2019 10:45:22 PM PDT, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Check out a recent script (wlgw-check.sh) I wrote for rig control of the tm-v71.
https://github.com/n7nix/auto-rmsgw-find
This script iterates through a list of RMS gateways using a TM-V71a and Hamlib rigctl
/Basil

On May 31, 2019 5:43:34 PM PDT, Keith Williamson <hkwilliamson@...> wrote:
I now have a TM-V71a connected to my UDRC and am trying to get rigctl to work with it. I have an equivalent of a PG-5H connected to a serial/USB converter enumerated as /dev/ttyUSB0. My first test of the cable was with chirp and it seems to work fine. 

When I try ""rigctl -m 234 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -vvvv", I see multiple read_string timeouts and then rigctl enters command mode. When I try "f" to get the current vfo frequency, I get multiple read_string timeouts and finally "get_freq: error = Communication timed out". 

Are there specific serial params needed to talk to the V71a? (e.g. RTS/CTS flow control, specific baud rate)?

Thanks for any help!

Keith
KF7DRV



On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 4:13 PM Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
Bill, 6 pin mini din 1200 and 9600  although I've only used on 1200.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?



Re: Good 2m rig?

Keith Williamson
 

Hi again,

Got it working. Needed to use RTS/CTS flowcontrol. Now if I change the VFO freq on the radio it's reflected on the Fldigi display and if I change it on the Fldigi display its reflected on the radio. 

Very nice.

I'm already really liking this new TM-V71A radio! 

73,

Keith
KF7DRV


On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 12:06 PM Keith Williamson via Groups.Io <hkwilliamson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks, Basil.

I had a couple of issues. I had tried to configure Fldigi to use Hamlib for rig control. That seemed to have hung the PC interface in the radio until I power cycled it. Additionally, I saw a few undervoltage warnings in dmesg so I switched to a beefier supply.

After changing out the Pi power supply and power cycling the radio, rigctl is working fine at 57600.

So now I need to figure out how to use Hamlib in Fldigi. Here is how I have it configured (although I currently have "Use Hamlib" unchecked). I figure I want to continue to use GPIO 23 for PTT (via the GPIO tab) so I have PTT via Hamlib command unchecked. 

What should be used for flow control? Anything on this panel pop out to you as an issue?

image.png

Thanks,

Keith
KF7DRV


On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 6:59 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Try setting the PC baud rate on the radio to 57600.
Also try connecting a serial program like screen and typing in the radio ID string. It should respond with 'OK'.
screen /dev/ttyUSB0 57600

TMV71 or D700
When I'm in front of my radio again I'll find out which works.
/Basil n7nix

On May 31, 2019 10:45:22 PM PDT, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Check out a recent script (wlgw-check.sh) I wrote for rig control of the tm-v71.
https://github.com/n7nix/auto-rmsgw-find
This script iterates through a list of RMS gateways using a TM-V71a and Hamlib rigctl
/Basil

On May 31, 2019 5:43:34 PM PDT, Keith Williamson <hkwilliamson@...> wrote:
I now have a TM-V71a connected to my UDRC and am trying to get rigctl to work with it. I have an equivalent of a PG-5H connected to a serial/USB converter enumerated as /dev/ttyUSB0. My first test of the cable was with chirp and it seems to work fine. 

When I try ""rigctl -m 234 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -vvvv", I see multiple read_string timeouts and then rigctl enters command mode. When I try "f" to get the current vfo frequency, I get multiple read_string timeouts and finally "get_freq: error = Communication timed out". 

Are there specific serial params needed to talk to the V71a? (e.g. RTS/CTS flow control, specific baud rate)?

Thanks for any help!

Keith
KF7DRV



On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 4:13 PM Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
Bill, 6 pin mini din 1200 and 9600  although I've only used on 1200.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?



Good 2m rig? SkyCommand 060119

WD8ARZ
 

Include evaluation of the Kenwood Dual / Tri Band SkyCommand radios. They allow you to use a Kenwood Walkie Talkie with a built in TNC, to digitally link to a remote Kenwood Dual Band radio with a TNC to a Kenwood HF rig ... No computer required. Really cool to connect up using your ht to an hf net as a predestrian mobile HI

73 from Bill / WD8ARZ in middle TN .... out for now ...

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Radio_Jump_Kits] Variety of radio's to use with SkyCommand
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 08:33:05 -0400
From: WD8ARZ <wd8arz@...>
Reply-To: Radio_Jump_Kits@...
To: Radio_Jump_Kits@...

Interesting to note the number of rigs that support Kenwoods wonderful
SkyCommand.

HF Rigs: TS2000 series, TS-480 series, The TS570S, TS-870S and the TS-590S.
Dual Banders: TMD700A, TMD710A, and RC-D710 Control Head, TM-V71A/E with
2.10 Firmware.
HT's: TH-79A KSS, THD7A and THD72A.

Have been using SkyCommand for some time now, and once you get used to
it, you don't want to be with out it. It is way KooL to walk away from
your base, portable or mobile station and do hf operations on your HT.
That includes changing bands and frequencies using the hf rig vfo and
memory system from the HT. Of course you can also use a dual bander in
your mobile and operate your base HF rig as long as you don't drive out
of your reception control range. Don't worry if you do though. The dual
bander will time out based on your transmit time out setting, and will
quit transmitting the hf audio to you. When you drive back into your
control range, press button two on your radio and the HF rig audio will
resume transmitting to you again.

For me there were several key items that made the initial system setup
very difficult to work on my end. Makes me understand why so many said
they could not make it work and gave up.

* Most discussion of the SkyCommand setup by users were using the
TS-2000. The dual bander and hf rig are in one box, so less to configure
and cable up. However to very different instructions need to be followed
if use three separate pieces and not using the TS-2000. Was challenging
to be sure.

* The TS-480HX instruction manual says to use 9600 baud for SkyCommand
db9 null modem serial cable to the dual band radio. No mention was made
in this manual that the baud rate chosen 'Needed To Match' the dual
bander being used (TMD700A / TMD710A) which 'Might Not Be 9600". Both
rigs of course need to be set to the same baud rate. The dual band radio
manual didn't mention the baud rate for the serial cable at all. I am
using 19200 because other programs and an antenna tuner use that rate.
Most folks could not get by the "Push [0] Key To Start Commander !!" on
the HT display because of this.

* It is easy when reading the TS-480 or TMD700A / TMD710A instruction
manuals for SkyCommand to miss the fact that the keypad assignments are
different for the THD7A / THD72A HT keypad than for the dual banders.

* It is nice that the SkyCommand II uses the display of the HT to tell
you to turn on the HF rig by using button #1. So why doesn't it tell you
to enable the audio from the HF rig through the Transporter to the
Commander by turning it on by using button #2 ?!? Another key point
where users gave up because they couldn't get audio to their Commander
(HT) from the hf rig.

* Have the TS-480 powered on, turn on the dual band radio and enable
SkyCommand Transporter mode. Enable the HT SkyCommand for Commander
mode. The HT screen will then tell you to press 0 to start. If no audio
is received from the HF rig, press 2 on the HT and viola, your on HF
using your HT. You can even power off the HF rig with button 1 on the HT
and turn it back on.

Have fun using SkyCommand and let us know how your doing and what your
using. - 73 from Bill - WD8ARZ

How to bring "down" PTT?

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>
 

I'm chasing this PTT issue on my 2m unit and I'm not sure where to go from here.  I'm out of parts or ideas or both.

The DRAWS hat will signal PTT and the radio will open transmit and send as it is supposed to.  When DRAWS is done, DRAWS PTT will shut off, but the radio still transmits.

What can I put "in-line" in the PTT wire to get the signal closer to "zero"?

Am I asking the right question?

- Steve