Topics

What works out of the box?

Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahoo@...>

  1. If I buy just one UDR w/ AMBE3000 board, what can I do with it, out of the box?  Can I talk to other DV radios and repeaters?  What hardware do I need?  Besides the obvious control/display interface (presumably HTTP), I assume that I need a microphone, speaker, and some sort of gadget (USB sound dongle?) to talk/listen?
  2. If I buy two UDRs without DV boards, what can I do with the two of them, out of the box?  Presumably, they can talk to each other and send Ethernet data back and forth.  Can one UDR w/o AMBE fake the normal DV data mode, with no sound in the voice stream?
  3. Why can't the UDR be a full-duplex repeater?  Presumably TX/RX shielding/isolation within the box?  If so, do you have a secret, second (repeater) product in the works?

Inquiring minds want to know ... I could sell my two ID-880H radios for about the cost of two UDRs, if they were reasonable replacements; ie, could talk (and do data) to existing D-Star radios.

Do you have an FAQ section on the web site?  I didn't find it.

-- Dean

"Douglas" <dperv27@...>

All,

I have the same questions..

If I have one UDR w/AMBE, how do I control the frequency and keying? If this is done via the Web Interface, can the freq be set with repeater offsets?

If I have two UDR's in DD mode. Can I extend my home network over them? (Do they basically operate the same as the ID-1's?)

Are their any draft manual avail?

--73 de N1OBU (Doug)

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>

If I have one UDR w/AMBE, how do I control the frequency and keying? If this is done via the Web Interface, can the freq be set with repeater offsets?
Yes via the web interface and yes we support offsets.

If I have two UDR's in DD mode. Can I extend my home network over them? (Do they basically operate the same as the ID-1's?)
Yes they conform to the DD protocol the same as an ID-1

Are their any draft manual avail?
We are writing app notes for each of the applications, The user interface is self-explanatory and has built-in tips and help.

1. If I buy just one UDR w/ AMBE3000 board, what can I do with it, out
of the box? Can I talk to other DV radios and repeaters? What
hardware do I need? Besides the obvious control/display interface
(presumably HTTP), I assume that I need a microphone, speaker, and
some sort of gadget (USB sound dongle?) to talk/listen?
A USB Headset with PTT or vox will allow you to use the UDR in DV mode. Control is via the web app.

*** Roadmap Only, this is not a product announcement
A future version of the app will let you use the speaker/headset on your pad or phone for the voice using vox.
***

2. If I buy two UDRs without DV boards, what can I do with the two of
them, out of the box? Presumably, they can talk to each other and
send Ethernet data back and forth. Can one UDR w/o AMBE fake the
normal DV data mode, with no sound in the voice stream?
Yes you can use DD mode as above and yes you could use D-RATS with no voice although I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Why can't the UDR be a full-duplex repeater? Presumably TX/RX
shielding/isolation within the box? If so, do you have a secret,
second (repeater) product in the works?
The IQ XCVR Chip does not support full duplex.

*** Roadmap Only, this is not a product announcement
First we will create a full-duplex repeater using 2 udrs connected via ethernet and release the software. There is no schedule for this at this time.

Then we will build a 1U unit that has a udr with a second radio board for receive. The cpu is designed to talk to 2 radio boards. Think 2014.
***

Inquiring minds want to know ... I could sell my two ID-880H radios for
about the cost of two UDRs, if they were reasonable replacements; ie,
could talk (and do data) to existing D-Star radios.

Do you have an FAQ section on the web site? I didn't find it.
Going up this weekend.

-- Dean

Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...>

Thanks for the informative post, It answered many of my questions too but now I have to ask why did you write, "yes you could use D-RATS with no voice although I wouldn't recommend it." Why don't you recommend this? I was thinking I'd host a D-RATs Ratflector on a UDR56K.

73 Mark KV4I

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM, k7udr <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

> If I have one UDR w/AMBE, how do I control the frequency and keying? If this is done via the Web Interface, can the freq be set with repeater offsets?

Yes via the web interface and yes we support offsets.

> If I have two UDR's in DD mode. Can I extend my home network over them? (Do they basically operate the same as the ID-1's?)

Yes they conform to the DD protocol the same as an ID-1

> Are their any draft manual avail?

We are writing app notes for each of the applications, The user interface is self-explanatory and has built-in tips and help.

> > 1. If I buy just one UDR w/ AMBE3000 board, what can I do with it, out
> > of the box? Can I talk to other DV radios and repeaters? What
> > hardware do I need? Besides the obvious control/display interface
> > (presumably HTTP), I assume that I need a microphone, speaker, and
> > some sort of gadget (USB sound dongle?) to talk/listen?

A USB Headset with PTT or vox will allow you to use the UDR in DV mode. Control is via the web app.

*** Roadmap Only, this is not a product announcement
A future version of the app will let you use the speaker/headset on your pad or phone for the voice using vox.
***

> > 2. If I buy two UDRs without DV boards, what can I do with the two of
> > them, out of the box? Presumably, they can talk to each other and
> > send Ethernet data back and forth. Can one UDR w/o AMBE fake the
> > normal DV data mode, with no sound in the voice stream?

Yes you can use DD mode as above and yes you could use D-RATS with no voice although I wouldn't recommend it.

> > 3. Why can't the UDR be a full-duplex repeater? Presumably TX/RX
> > shielding/isolation within the box? If so, do you have a secret,
> > second (repeater) product in the works?

The IQ XCVR Chip does not support full duplex.

*** Roadmap Only, this is not a product announcement
First we will create a full-duplex repeater using 2 udrs connected via ethernet and release the software. There is no schedule for this at this time.

Then we will build a 1U unit that has a udr with a second radio board for receive. The cpu is designed to talk to 2 radio boards. Think 2014.
***

> > Inquiring minds want to know ... I could sell my two ID-880H radios for
> > about the cost of two UDRs, if they were reasonable replacements; ie,
> > could talk (and do data) to existing D-Star radios.
> >
> > Do you have an FAQ section on the web site? I didn't find it.

Going up this weekend.

> > -- Dean

John Hays <john@...>

I would take it as a personal preference, it is technically possible.

Sent from Samsung tablet

Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...> wrote:

Thanks for the informative post, It answered many of my questions too but now I have to ask why did you write, "yes you could use D-RATS with no voice although I wouldn't recommend it." Why don't you recommend this? I was thinking I'd host a D-RATs Ratflector on a UDR56K.

73 Mark KV4I

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM, k7udr <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

> If I have one UDR w/AMBE, how do I control the frequency and keying? If this is done via the Web Interface, can the freq be set with repeater offsets?

Yes via the web interface and yes we support offsets.

> If I have two UDR's in DD mode. Can I extend my home network over them? (Do they basically operate the same as the ID-1's?)

Yes they conform to the DD protocol the same as an ID-1

> Are their any draft manual avail?

We are writing app notes for each of the applications, The user interface is self-explanatory and has built-in tips and help.

> > 1. If I buy just one UDR w/ AMBE3000 board, what can I do with it, out
> > of the box? Can I talk to other DV radios and repeaters? What
> > hardware do I need? Besides the obvious control/display interface
> > (presumably HTTP), I assume that I need a microphone, speaker, and
> > some sort of gadget (USB sound dongle?) to talk/listen?

A USB Headset with PTT or vox will allow you to use the UDR in DV mode. Control is via the web app.

*** Roadmap Only, this is not a product announcement
A future version of the app will let you use the speaker/headset on your pad or phone for the voice using vox.
***

> > 2. If I buy two UDRs without DV boards, what can I do with the two of
> > them, out of the box? Presumably, they can talk to each other and
> > send Ethernet data back and forth. Can one UDR w/o AMBE fake the
> > normal DV data mode, with no sound in the voice stream?

Yes you can use DD mode as above and yes you could use D-RATS with no voice although I wouldn't recommend it.

> > 3. Why can't the UDR be a full-duplex repeater? Presumably TX/RX
> > shielding/isolation within the box? If so, do you have a secret,
> > second (repeater) product in the works?

The IQ XCVR Chip does not support full duplex.

*** Roadmap Only, this is not a product announcement
First we will create a full-duplex repeater using 2 udrs connected via ethernet and release the software. There is no schedule for this at this time.

Then we will build a 1U unit that has a udr with a second radio board for receive. The cpu is designed to talk to 2 radio boards. Think 2014.
***

> > Inquiring minds want to know ... I could sell my two ID-880H radios for
> > about the cost of two UDRs, if they were reasonable replacements; ie,
> > could talk (and do data) to existing D-Star radios.
> >
> > Do you have an FAQ section on the web site? I didn't find it.

Going up this weekend.

> > -- Dean

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>

I'm just thinking of a repeater tied up with dead air possibly annoying voice users. I suppose one could use a dv dongle and capture an AMBE encoded canned message to include.

There are certainly use cases where this would be ok.

John's our D-STAR expert so I'll let him answer any further discussion.

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...> wrote:

Thanks for the informative post, It answered many of my questions too but
now I have to ask why did you write, "yes you could use D-RATS with no
voice although I wouldn't recommend it." Why don't you recommend this? I
was thinking I'd host a D-RATs Ratflector on a UDR56K.

73 Mark KV4I

Charles Blackburn <young_gun262001@...>

not having boned up on the processing power of the UDR,, but if it's doing all the transcoding of the dstar streams in software, then to host more than one stream it may not have enough "oomph" to do it.

just my tuppence.

charlie

Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...>

I've never been a fan of using voice capable repeaters for DSTAR data applications such as D_RATS. I agree that using data modes on a voice repeater is annoying to voice users. Anecdotal evidence also indicates that data over a voice repeater (especially linked repeaters) introduces undesirable latency.

I was thinking of using a 70 cm simplex frequency for one port on a D-RATS Ratflector with a second port connected to the Internet to allow D-RATS messages to Internet recipients to originate over RF.

73 Mark KV4I

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Mark L Friedlander wrote:

> Thanks for the informative post, It answered many of my questions too but
> now I have to ask why did you write, "yes you could use D-RATS with no
> voice although I wouldn't recommend it." Why don't you recommend this? I
> was thinking I'd host a D-RATs Ratflector on a UDR56K.
>
> 73 Mark KV4I

Ronny Julian <k4rjjradio@...>

Never seen a USB headset with PTT.  Got a web link to anyone that sells one ready built?

A USB Headset with PTT or vox will allow you to use the UDR in DV mode. Control is via the web app.y DigestUnsubscribeTerms of UseSend us Feedback
.

"Douglas" <dperv27@...>

All,

What modes/functions work simultaneously?

--73 de N1OBU (FN41AM)

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., "k7udr" <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

I'm just thinking of a repeater tied up with dead air possibly annoying voice users. I suppose one could use a dv dongle and capture an AMBE encoded canned message to include.

There are certainly use cases where this would be ok.

John's our D-STAR expert so I'll let him answer any further discussion.

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@> wrote:

Thanks for the informative post, It answered many of my questions too but
now I have to ask why did you write, "yes you could use D-RATS with no
voice although I wouldn't recommend it." Why don't you recommend this? I
was thinking I'd host a D-RATs Ratflector on a UDR56K.

73 Mark KV4I

Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...>

Good question. For example, can I run a Winlink 2000 RMS Gateway and a D-RATs Ratflector simultaneously?

73 Mark KV4I

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., "k7udr" wrote:

> I'm just thinking of a repeater tied up with dead air possibly annoying voice users. I suppose one could use a dv dongle and capture an AMBE encoded canned message to include.
>
> There are certainly use cases where this would be ok.
>
> John's our D-STAR expert so I'll let him answer any further discussion.
>
> --- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Mark L Friedlander wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the informative post, It answered many of my questions too but
> > now I have to ask why did you write, "yes you could use D-RATS with no
> > voice although I wouldn't recommend it." Why don't you recommend this? I
> > was thinking I'd host a D-RATs Ratflector on a UDR56K.
> >
> > 73 Mark KV4I

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>

I'm going to start a new thread and reply to this tomorrow.

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...> wrote:

Good question. For example, can I run a Winlink 2000 RMS Gateway and a
D-RATs Ratflector simultaneously?

73 Mark KV4I

**