Steve Zingman <szingman@...>

Software means never having to say you're finished. with apologies to Love Story fans.

73, Steve N4IRS

On 02/25/2016 05:13 AM, UniversalDigitalRadio@... wrote:
Messages
1a. Thumb DV Software
Posted by:e.maletta@... genemalet
Date: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:44 am ((PST))

The software that is out for the Thumb DV says Beta 3. I am curious as to why a finished product would still have Beta software. Where is the completed software if there is one???
--
"Boy, am I old!"

e.maletta@...

Obviously this message was responded by the peanut gallery. I meant this for the creator of the Thumb DV.

If you are the Creator of the Thumb DV, is there a Non Beta version of the software?

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

NW Digital Radio builds the ThumbDV Hardware.

Software is provided by 3rd party developers.  As stated on the resource page and the previous email, software support and releases come from those 3rd party developers, not NW Digital Radio.

John - Director at NW Digital Radio

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 11:57 AM, e.maletta@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Obviously this message was responded by the peanut gallery. I meant this for the creator of the Thumb DV.

If you are the Creator of the Thumb DV, is there a Non Beta version of the software?

Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahu.stuff@...>

This eMail saved for posterity ...

On 2016-02-28 11:57, e.maletta@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] wrote:
Obviously this message was responded by the peanut gallery. I meant this for the creator of the Thumb DV.

If you are the Creator of the Thumb DV, is there a Non Beta version of the software?

e.maletta@...

Interesting concept, manufacturer not related to software. Love that model!!

Don't get me wrong the product works however from a software support perspective I would caution users that this product is lacking.

"Rob Salsgiver" <rob@...>

That’s why I love peanut butter.  Always an endless supply….

Interesting concept, manufacturer not related to software. Love that model!!

Don't get me wrong the product works however from a software support perspective I would caution users that this product is lacking.

Robert Copelan <rcopelan@...>

Choices are a wonderful thing but not every choice is for everyone.    If you want to be part of testing or developing leading edge innovative solutions then products like the ThumbDV, MMDVM and others are great hardware.    If you want to just use something that plugs in and works then products like the DVDongle and DVAP with the software from the product designer and supported by the designer are for you.

The 2 types should not be interchanged as it will only lead to frustration (in either case).
73
WB4DHC

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 5:42 AM, e.maletta@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Interesting concept, manufacturer not related to software. Love that model!!

Don't get me wrong the product works however from a software support perspective I would caution users that this product is lacking.

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

If one stops to think about it, this is much more common than people may realize.

Look at your computer.  If it's not an Apple, Chromebook, or Microsoft Surface, you probably are running an Operating System and Applications that were not developed by the manufacturer.  If you have an issue with the software, the remedy is usually to contact the support network for the software, rather than the hardware manufacturer.

There are at least 4 different suppliers of software that use the ThumbDV.  Each of them have their own development and support cycle.  NW Digital Radio provides them basic integration information and in some cases contributes code (e.g. enhancements to AMBEserver), but the applications themselves remain under the umbrella of the various development companies or teams.

Incidentally, the manufacturers of similar products to the ThumbDV also use third party software.  One notable manufacturer also has their own application, in addition to 3rd parties, which has been in 'beta' for years at a time.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 2:42 AM, e.maletta@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Interesting concept, manufacturer not related to software. Love that model!!

Don't get me wrong the product works however from a software support perspective I would caution users that this product is lacking.

_

mikezingman@...

As a software developer I got EXACTLY what I wanted from the DV3000 and the ThumbDV.  They provide a  hardware platform  from which I can base my code.  I was well aware that the software from NWD was beta, and it makes no difference to me.

Now, users of my software are told up front, before they are even allowed to download it, that it is in development.  The contract between the developer and the user is simple: I will give you code with the understanding that it may be incomplete and has bugs.  You understand it is incomplete and will agree to use it and report  back issues you find.  Simple.  If that contract is not acceptable, then nothing is lost.

The DV3000/ThumbDV is far from the only product like this.  Every single board computer I  own is a work in progress.  The hardware is solid (usually) but the software is always a work in progress.  From device drivers to Linux to applications, it is a moving target.

This is what I like to do.  It may not be your cup of tea.  For me any product in this space that does NOT evolve and improve is a dead product.  Why bother?  If I wanted an appliance I would buy it from ICOM/Kenwood/Yaesu.

MIke

Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...>

As a software developer I got EXACTLY what I wanted from the DV3000 and the ThumbDV.
I may have just given myself a reason to need several DV3000 or
ThumbDVs. If I understand this right, a rPI, DV3000 and a 25$ SDR
dongle is all it takes to make an all (>HF) band DStar Receiver.

Could take it to the next extreme and create an all band DStar
transmitter using the rPI bit banging output.

Yikes - two more projects...

Bill, WA7NWP

perilles@...

Bill,

You do not need the SDR dongle to be a D-Star repeater as you can listen over the internet to any broadcast.
To use the SDR dongle as a D-star receiver use SDR# and get from http://www.wb9coy.com

 the Download DSD1.7 from projects.  This add on to SDR# will decode any D-Star, DMR or P25 signal that you hear automatically.

Perry

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

Be aware that using mbelib with DSD to decode voice likely violates patents. Use of licensed AMBE decoders such as PiDV or ThumbDV is recommended.

Tony Ross <ynotssor@...>

On 03/23/2016 07:20 PM, perilles@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] wrote:

You do not need the SDR dongle to be a D-Star repeater as you can listen over the internet to any broadcast. ...
How does that help one Tx, please?