Topics

dmr for nwdigital

K6ST Barry Bettman <k6st@...>

Has anyone been able to run DMR on the nwdigital?

mikezingman@...

Barry,

If you are asking about the DV3000 or the ThumbDV, then yes I have done this.  I am in the middle of working on an application that allows one to use the DV3000/ThumbDV just like the DummyRepeater mode works for DStar.  I have been using it for a while and it works very well on both TX and RX.  This is part code is an outgrowth of a project to create a gateway between DMR and ALLStar/Asterisk and that project is nearing its completion.  Once I get a chance, I will open source the code and others can build on my efforts.

A bad youtube video:

DMRDongle480

The quality was not up to what I wanted so I never released it, but I am tied up with some family things at the moment and this will have to do.  I will do a better one at some point.

Mike N4IRR

K6ST Barry Bettman <k6st@...>

Thanks Mike.  I have a DVthumb and want to run DMR on it.

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 11:25 AM, mikezingman@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Barry,

If you are asking about the DV3000 or the ThumbDV, then yes I have done this.  I am in the middle of working on an application that allows one to use the DV3000/ThumbDV just like the DummyRepeater mode works for DStar.  I have been using it for a while and it works very well on both TX and RX.  This is part code is an outgrowth of a project to create a gateway between DMR and ALLStar/Asterisk and that project is nearing its completion.  Once I get a chance, I will open source the code and others can build on my efforts.

A bad youtube video:

DMRDongle480
DMRDongle480
Test with the DMRDongle GUI
Preview by Yahoo

The quality was not up to what I wanted so I never released it, but I am tied up with some family things at the moment and this will have to do.  I will do a better one at some point.

Mike N4IRR

mikezingman@...

Barry,

The app runs on OSX and Linux (x86 or ARM) at this time.  On the PC I use the internal sound hardware with a headset.  On the Pi I have used an external sound fob (CM108) for sound (the Pi has no sound input!).

On the Pi I have done both GUI based PTT (like the video) as well as VOX.  The Vox was cool because I used a HT mic with a ptt button.  Because the PTT gated the audio from the mic, I never had to worry about ambient noise triggering the transmit mode.  I just push the button and talk.  Just like a radio, ha.

The app can use either the DV3000 or the ThumbDV in direct serial mode or via the ambe server if you wanted.  I do often use AMBE server because I test on many devices and it is good to have a server when ever I need it.

If you wanted to look at some doc:

NOTE:  This repo is for the DMR to Allstar gateway, but it uses the same components as the dongle mode with a GUI.

There is no magic to building on Windows, just have not spent any time porting it.

Also if you are on Allstar, node 2100 is up and running the DMR gateway.

Mike

beaupeppybrandypip@...

Hello Barry

I've also got DMR running with the ThumbDV now on the software I'm doing (slowly but surely).

DMR uses rate 33 mode on the AMBE-3000 chip. Exactly the same audio quality as Fusion DN (half rate voice mode), same AMBE rate mode/format.

Not helpful for you at the moment I know, but at least you know we are out here slowly working on creating software for the ThumbDV for encode and decode of any and all possible AMBE digital voice protocols (I've so far got DStar, Fusion and DMR running).

Cath

jay.n4nqy@...

I too am interested in DMR using ThumbDV.  I have a couple of these dongles on Windows and Pi, and I am wondering why there is not more activity in the DMR area. There are no D-Star activity in my area but a ton of DMR interest.  Currently I use a DVMega for DMR in the shack.  I looked back at the posts and it seems DMR is doable.

Is there active development anywhere?  Is anyone making headway or have code they can share?   Or point me in the right direction.

jb  N4NQY

szingman@...

Jay,
Depending on what you want to do, we have a analog to DMR Gateway. It was built to allow analog users on the AllStar network to access the DMR networks. It can be used with a microphone and speaker to access the DMR networks. The repository is at <https://github.com/N4IRS/DMRGateway>

73, Steve N4IRS