Topics

fldigi with DRAWS #draws #fldigi

Dave Phelps
 

OK, I've ordered a new Pi 3B+ so I can start using this.

Steve, I'll do this the DRAWS way and connect via the accy plug to reap the benefits - I'm intrigued to see how it will do better than the icom codec.  However, my (only) concern is that I will lose out on the ability to use hardware modems like a PK232MBX since my radios only have the one accy socket.  One of my goals was to become PACTOR active this year. 

I'll say up front I don't know jack about either piece of hardware yet - is there a way to use both of them to their utmost?  

Thanks,
Dave
KD0FX

Steve, N9VW
 

Dave,
A short answer to your question.

In your case with the ICOM products you are %100 correct in that most of the things you want to do are embedded in the radio. However, you are limiting yourself in many other opportunities.  The DRAWS hat provides you with two interfaces to work with along with a much more capable CODEC for a stunning variety of other applications and modes. It is an experimentation environment ripe for you to go and expand your horizons.

Hope this helps...
73 de Steve, N9VW

On 4/12/2019 6:39 AM, Dave Phelps wrote:
I'm curious as to why we would need to use the miniconnector rather than just use the usb?  That's a step backwards imho.

I haven't tried the draws hat or image yet, but i can run my 7200 and fldigi off a straight pi with only the usb.  

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>
 

You can do it either way, but if you're not using the DIN connector, you're not using the DRAWS.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 8:39 AM Dave Phelps <dave.phelps@...> wrote:
I'm curious as to why we would need to use the miniconnector rather than just use the usb?  That's a step backwards imho.

I haven't tried the draws hat or image yet, but i can run my 7200 and fldigi off a straight pi with only the usb.  

Dave Phelps
 

I'm curious as to why we would need to use the miniconnector rather than just use the usb?  That's a step backwards imho.

I haven't tried the draws hat or image yet, but i can run my 7200 and fldigi off a straight pi with only the usb.  

John Amdor III
 

After making my own cable to connect an IC-706 to the DRAWS, I think the hammadeparts.com cable is worth the price.

John K0MXL

On 4/11/19 4:29 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
Ham Made Parts makes a cable - https://hammadeparts.com/shop-for-cables?olsPage=products%2Ficom-13-pin-din-acc-port-to-nw-digital-draws-hat-6-pin-mini-din-packet-port-plug&page=3&sortOption=ascend_by_name
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 2:10 PM Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg <mailto:@flyingfrawg>> wrote:
The IC-7300 has only a 13 pin DIN connector. You would need create
an adapter with the 13 pin DIN pigtail that came with the rig. If
you no longer have (or never had) one, the MFJ-5213 will work for
the rig end. See the pinouts on page 12-1 of the IC-7300 manual.____
__ __
*KD4IZ____*
*Jack Spitznagel____*
*FM19oo____*
__ __
__ __
__ __
*From:* main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
<mailto:main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
<main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
<mailto:main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>> *On Behalf Of *Julian OH8STN
*Sent:* Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:22
*To:* main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
<mailto:main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nw-digital-radio] fldigi with DRAWS #draws #fldigi____
__ __
It sounds like you're running the 7300 from its internal sound card
(audio codec) via the USB port, rather than from the DRAWS hat. You
must connect the DRAWS hat to the 6 pin mini-din on the rear of the
7300. Then select the DRAWS hat as the audio source in fldigi, after
its configuration.____
Apologies if I misunderstood your configuration.____
73____
Julian oh8stn ____
Julian OH8STN
www.oh8stn.org <http://www.oh8stn.org>
www.youtube.com/c/OH8STN <http://www.youtube.com/c/OH8STN>____
__
--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE
<http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>

 


On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 2:10 PM Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

The IC-7300 has only a 13 pin DIN connector. You would need create an adapter with the 13 pin DIN pigtail that came with the rig. If you no longer have (or never had) one, the MFJ-5213 will work for the rig end. See the pinouts on page 12-1 of the IC-7300 manual.

 

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

 

 

 

From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Julian OH8STN
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:22
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-digital-radio] fldigi with DRAWS #draws #fldigi

 

It sounds like you're running the 7300 from its internal sound card (audio codec) via the USB port, rather than from the DRAWS hat. You must connect the DRAWS hat to the 6 pin mini-din on the rear of the 7300. Then select the DRAWS hat as the audio source in fldigi, after its configuration.

Apologies if I misunderstood your configuration.

73

Julian oh8stn 



--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Jack Spitznagel
 

The IC-7300 has only a 13 pin DIN connector. You would need create an adapter with the 13 pin DIN pigtail that came with the rig. If you no longer have (or never had) one, the MFJ-5213 will work for the rig end. See the pinouts on page 12-1 of the IC-7300 manual.

 

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

 

 

 

From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Julian OH8STN
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 12:22
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-digital-radio] fldigi with DRAWS #draws #fldigi

 

It sounds like you're running the 7300 from its internal sound card (audio codec) via the USB port, rather than from the DRAWS hat. You must connect the DRAWS hat to the 6 pin mini-din on the rear of the 7300. Then select the DRAWS hat as the audio source in fldigi, after its configuration.

Apologies if I misunderstood your configuration.

73

Julian oh8stn 

Julian OH8STN <julian@...>
 

It sounds like you're running the 7300 from its internal sound card (audio codec) via the USB port, rather than from the DRAWS hat. You must connect the DRAWS hat to the 6 pin mini-din on the rear of the 7300. Then select the DRAWS hat as the audio source in fldigi, after its configuration.
Apologies if I misunderstood your configuration.
73
Julian oh8stn 

Julian OH8STN
www.oh8stn.org
www.youtube.com/c/OH8STN

Basil Gunn
 

Look here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/IMAGE_README.md

Look for fldigi. I do not install it from a package because for Raspbian
stretch that will install fldigi version 3.23.14-1. I am currently
building & installing version 4.1.01

If you want to update to the latest versions first update the scripts
like this:

cd
cd n7nix
git pull

# Then run the update script in ~/n7nix/bin

cd bin
./prog_refresh.sh

/Basil n7nix

I’ll try that tomorrow. Thank you!

On Apr 10, 2019, at 10:48 PM, "john.chabalko@...<mailto:john.chabalko@...>" <john.chabalko@...<mailto:john.chabalko@...>> wrote:

I’m new to the raspberry pi too but I think you’ve got to initiate the update yourself, or at least you could check

Assuming your rip is connected to the internet,
Shut down fldigi, and then in a terminal window type:
sudo apt-get upgrade fldigi

answer yes (or hit enter) and you’ll get the update.

once it’s done you can reopen it.


 

Stick with the beta images and pre-installed applications using the startup instructions from Basil. Once you have a working install, then you can experiment with updates and changes. 


On Wed, Apr 10, 2019, 19:54 KeithG [KG1MD] <keithgold@...> wrote:
I’ll try that tomorrow.  Thank you!

On Apr 10, 2019, at 10:48 PM, "john.chabalko@..." <john.chabalko@...> wrote:

I’m new to the raspberry pi too but I think you’ve got to initiate the update yourself, or at least you could check

Assuming your rip is connected to the internet, 
Shut down fldigi, and then in a terminal window type:
sudo apt-get upgrade fldigi 

answer yes (or hit enter) and you’ll get the update.

once it’s done you can reopen it. 

KeithG [KG1MD]
 

I’ll try that tomorrow.  Thank you!

On Apr 10, 2019, at 10:48 PM, "john.chabalko@..." <john.chabalko@...> wrote:

I’m new to the raspberry pi too but I think you’ve got to initiate the update yourself, or at least you could check

Assuming your rip is connected to the internet, 
Shut down fldigi, and then in a terminal window type:
sudo apt-get upgrade fldigi 

answer yes (or hit enter) and you’ll get the update.

once it’s done you can reopen it. 

john.chabalko@...
 

I’m new to the raspberry pi too but I think you’ve got to initiate the update yourself, or at least you could check

Assuming your rip is connected to the internet, 
Shut down fldigi, and then in a terminal window type:
sudo apt-get upgrade fldigi 

answer yes (or hit enter) and you’ll get the update.

once it’s done you can reopen it. 

KeithG [KG1MD]
 

I’m using a RPI 3 B+
After running the updater, it tells me that fldigi will be updated to 4.1.01, but that never happens.  I’ve run the updater several times.  Is there a step I’m missing?

I will disconnect the rig and see if fldigi continues to run.

Tnx again!

Keith. KG1MD 

On Apr 10, 2019, at 9:59 PM, "john.chabalko@..." <john.chabalko@...> wrote:

Something you could try to narrow it down - although i doubt it'll show much - is to disconnect the radio from the pi, run fldigi for a period of time and see if it goes unresponsive, and then depending on what happens, remove the DRAWs hat from the pi and try running fldigi with and without the radio connected.

What version of fldigi are you using and which raspberry pi are you using? I've got 4.1.01 on mine - which appears to be the latest, i'm pretty sure i've updated it since i burned the disk image though.

john.chabalko@...
 

Something you could try to narrow it down - although i doubt it'll show much - is to disconnect the radio from the pi, run fldigi for a period of time and see if it goes unresponsive, and then depending on what happens, remove the DRAWs hat from the pi and try running fldigi with and without the radio connected.

What version of fldigi are you using and which raspberry pi are you using? I've got 4.1.01 on mine - which appears to be the latest, i'm pretty sure i've updated it since i burned the disk image though.

KeithG [KG1MD]
 

I am only connecting through the USB port and that works great with all the other software.  Fldigi is the only one that freezes after working fine for a few minutes.

On Apr 10, 2019, at 5:52 PM, Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:

Congrats on getting through the setup portion!

Sounds like you're only connecting through USB?

If you're not connecting through the ports on the draws to the radio, then it wouldn't be a draws problem.

Can you connect your draws hat to your radio through one of the 6-pin ports and use the draws audio ports without it freezing?

- Steve, KM9G

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:48 PM KeithG [KG1MD] <keithgold@...> wrote:
I burned the image to a chip, booted the pi/draws hat and had no trouble following the update instructions to update the software/system.
I am using a monitor, keyboard and mouse directly connected to the pi.
I have been able to get my ICOM IC-7300 and pi to talk together and pass audio both ways using the IC-7300 USB connector plugged into the pi.  I have tried and configured all of the non packet modes with success!
[Not being particularly savy with the pi or my new IC-7300, I am quite prowd that I have been able to get this far :)]

The one BIG issue that I am having is using fldigi - the main reason that I got the draws hat:

I have it working and communicating via the USB like the other software.  The issue is that fldigi will load and run perfectly for only a few minutes, then without changing anything on the radio or pi, the waterfall will start to pause/stutter, getting worse as the minutes go by until the program will ultimately freeze requiring a reboot.  Not even taskmanager is able to kill it every time.

The drop down menus will sometimes work for a bit before the program ultimately crashes.

When I frist got fldigi working, I made several contacts on PSK31 and CW, but then it started acting up and getting flaky.  I had been using a 2.5A 5V wall wart to power the pi/draws and thought that it may have been the power, so I connected the 12V hat leads to my 12V supply with no change in the behavior of fldigi.  The other software all seem to continue to work fine.

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!  [I'm DYING to try some of the other digital modes and see if I can get WEFAX images and SSTV!!]

Thank you in advance!

Keith KG1MD

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>
 

Congrats on getting through the setup portion!

Sounds like you're only connecting through USB?

If you're not connecting through the ports on the draws to the radio, then it wouldn't be a draws problem.

Can you connect your draws hat to your radio through one of the 6-pin ports and use the draws audio ports without it freezing?

- Steve, KM9G


On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:48 PM KeithG [KG1MD] <keithgold@...> wrote:
I burned the image to a chip, booted the pi/draws hat and had no trouble following the update instructions to update the software/system.
I am using a monitor, keyboard and mouse directly connected to the pi.
I have been able to get my ICOM IC-7300 and pi to talk together and pass audio both ways using the IC-7300 USB connector plugged into the pi.  I have tried and configured all of the non packet modes with success!
[Not being particularly savy with the pi or my new IC-7300, I am quite prowd that I have been able to get this far :)]

The one BIG issue that I am having is using fldigi - the main reason that I got the draws hat:

I have it working and communicating via the USB like the other software.  The issue is that fldigi will load and run perfectly for only a few minutes, then without changing anything on the radio or pi, the waterfall will start to pause/stutter, getting worse as the minutes go by until the program will ultimately freeze requiring a reboot.  Not even taskmanager is able to kill it every time.

The drop down menus will sometimes work for a bit before the program ultimately crashes.

When I frist got fldigi working, I made several contacts on PSK31 and CW, but then it started acting up and getting flaky.  I had been using a 2.5A 5V wall wart to power the pi/draws and thought that it may have been the power, so I connected the 12V hat leads to my 12V supply with no change in the behavior of fldigi.  The other software all seem to continue to work fine.

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!  [I'm DYING to try some of the other digital modes and see if I can get WEFAX images and SSTV!!]

Thank you in advance!

Keith KG1MD

KeithG [KG1MD]
 

I burned the image to a chip, booted the pi/draws hat and had no trouble following the update instructions to update the software/system.
I am using a monitor, keyboard and mouse directly connected to the pi.
I have been able to get my ICOM IC-7300 and pi to talk together and pass audio both ways using the IC-7300 USB connector plugged into the pi.  I have tried and configured all of the non packet modes with success!
[Not being particularly savy with the pi or my new IC-7300, I am quite prowd that I have been able to get this far :)]

The one BIG issue that I am having is using fldigi - the main reason that I got the draws hat:

I have it working and communicating via the USB like the other software.  The issue is that fldigi will load and run perfectly for only a few minutes, then without changing anything on the radio or pi, the waterfall will start to pause/stutter, getting worse as the minutes go by until the program will ultimately freeze requiring a reboot.  Not even taskmanager is able to kill it every time.

The drop down menus will sometimes work for a bit before the program ultimately crashes.

When I frist got fldigi working, I made several contacts on PSK31 and CW, but then it started acting up and getting flaky.  I had been using a 2.5A 5V wall wart to power the pi/draws and thought that it may have been the power, so I connected the 12V hat leads to my 12V supply with no change in the behavior of fldigi.  The other software all seem to continue to work fine.

Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!  [I'm DYING to try some of the other digital modes and see if I can get WEFAX images and SSTV!!]

Thank you in advance!

Keith KG1MD

john.chabalko@...
 
Edited

My guess is you’ve got the PTT configuration incorrect. Some of the apps I checked had it defaulted to VOX mode, once I changed to CAT it worked fine (you could also configure your radio to accept VOX too if that’s an option)

it sounds like otherwise everything’s working. I bet it’s that or something related.

EDIT: do you just have audio? Or do you have a rig control serial/usb cable connected? If you only have audio you’ll have to see if VOX is an option

Steve
 

Symptom: After entering text and clicking the "TX" button, fldigi looks like it is transmitting (text turns red and is moved to the upper window), but the transmitter does not come on.

Details below. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Steve

- - - - -

Hardware:
• Radio: Kenwood TM-V71A {known to be working with a USB connected "brand X" external sound card, both with a RPi and a debian stretch system}
• Cable: As supplied with the DRAWS board
• Connected: First to the 6-pin port adjacent to the GPS antenna, then to the other 6-pin port

Images tried:
http://archive.compasslinux.org/images/image_2018-11-18-compass.zip {fldigi built from source}
http://nwdig.net/downloads/draws_beta5.zip {fldigi pre-installed}

Using minicom, data is seen on /dev/ttySC0 from the GPS, but nothing on /dev/ttySC1

Setup parameter debugging changes:
• Configuration Audio -> Devices {installation default}
• Configuration Audio -> Devices -> PortAudio {checked with Capture and Playback left to default}
• Configuration Audio -> Devices -> PortAudio {checked with Capture and Playback both set to "udrc: - (hw:0,0)"}

- - - - -