Topics

New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

John Cahill <johnwcahill@...>

Do you plan on sharing the cad files themselves so that testers can add improvements more easily and share?

Looking to get into the next DRAWS cycle in April myself, my intention is to use portable and mobile and this case option would be 'the bees knees"

John, N2JWC

Terence Taylor <n6mon@...>

Steve and Kevin, I have downloaded your files and will print this weekend. I do not have my DRAWS board yet, but it should arriving soon. I THINK I have the correct display, so I should be able to test the fit of the Pi and the display.

Eric Osterberg

With what tool was the design built?  SolidWorks? Would you be willing to share the source files? I'd like to be able to adapt to different displays, mounting configurations and am Interested in building a lipo battery and charger board.

73 - NØNKI - Eric

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 11:19 AM <steve@...> wrote:
Hello,

VE7KGV and I designed a case to allow use of the DRAWS Hat with a Raspberry Pi and 7 inch LCD but have no way to test it because we haven't gotten a DRAWS board to play with (Hopefully in the next couple of weeks).  As a result we've only been able to design this from the spec sheet.  The full design is on Thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3387482

There are pictures there as well.

Would love any input you have on how to improve this design.

Thanks,

Steve and Kevin
VE7GOY/VE7KGV

Douglas

That's a nice display.  It would be nice if the touchscreen model would be setup the same way.

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 9:18 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> writes:

> Sunfounder 10"/Pi combo Questions:
> Does the screen run off the buck regulator in the DRAWS card?

The display is a 12V display.
It also has a speaker so you can use Xastir audio alerts without having
an external speaker. The RPi with DRAWS hat attach to the back of the
display so you don't need a case. Go to the Sunsounder site to read the
specs.
https://www.sunfounder.com/10-1-inch-hdmi-lcd.html

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Basil Gunn

Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> writes:

Sunfounder 10"/Pi combo Questions:
Does the screen run off the buck regulator in the DRAWS card?
The display is a 12V display.
It also has a speaker so you can use Xastir audio alerts without having
an external speaker. The RPi with DRAWS hat attach to the back of the
display so you don't need a case. Go to the Sunsounder site to read the
specs.
https://www.sunfounder.com/10-1-inch-hdmi-lcd.html

I originally passed on it because the display unit appeared to require its
own PS unit - the display kit with the acrylic stand and integral mounting
stuff seems to have solved that issue.

Gwen Patton

That's probably going to be the next major purchase for the fabrication section of my workbench, a good 3d printer. I'm tired of not being able to do things because I don't have a part, especially enclosures.

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 11:49 PM Willie - N8WP <wpeloqui@...> wrote:
I recently got a new printer. A Prusa i3 mk3. I am working on learn Focus 360, I could use some assistance from more experienced modelers and printers.

Thanks,

Willie
N8WP

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019, 17:40 Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:
Hi Basil and Dave,

@Dave, your comments on the RPi screen are pretty much spot on. I had a
spare one in a "SmartiPi" case I have been using to test an early adopter
DRAWS board during the betas. I posted my kitbash setup about a month ago or
so. It serves as my backup and porta-mobile digi right now and will work
adequately in the field with FLDigi. I use my workstation and laptop for
Winlink - so have not tried to set up those apps and cannot comment beyond
the notes below.

@Basil - re the 7" 800x480 RPi display - you want to have a (wireless)
keyboard with a mouse/pad!
1. Needs to be used in the shade.
2. Once RPi Stretch+Compass is set for "small screen" most stock RPi/Stretch
apps work adequately - IF you do not have vision issues.
3. Xastir is usable on the RPi screen once in fullscreen mode. Aspect ratio
makes for a weird map field (too short in some magnifications).
4. FLDigi/FLRig needed to be resized a little, but also will work in a
trouble-free manner once set up.
OTOH wsjt-x has configuration menus where critical that are inaccessible.
You can set them up if you know the default states and you know the order
that "Tab-bing" through setup selections proceeds, but it is a PITA.

Sunfounder 10"/Pi combo Questions:
Does the screen run off the buck regulator in the DRAWS card?
I originally passed on it because the display unit appeared to require its
own PS unit - the display kit with the acrylic stand and integral mounting
stuff seems to have solved that issue.
I need to eliminate the need for all but one PS (or Bioenno battery) as I
did with the early adopter kit.

Thanks for your comments-

KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel