Topics

Draws Analog to digital transcoding #draws

N9UMJ

Hi  All

Has anyone successfully used the Draws board with the Ambe 3000usb to create an Analog to Digital interface?

I'm wanting to create a means of trans-coding digital to analog and Analog back to digital to merge my Analog repeater with my MMDVM Digital repeater,

Any direction to instructions or directions on how it was accomplished would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

73 de Rick
N9UMJ

Jim Brown <w5zit@...>

I used the BlueDVWindows program in a beta release for the AMBE3000.  I did not use the DRAWS system, but did build an interface to allow the RS-232 control lines to signal PTT and SQ to my analog side.  The program has provisions for setting up the RS-232 control signals.

I do the exact thing you are wanting to do - during our weekly net we integrate the analog repeaters with D-Star through the BlueDV program.  I have a write-up on the Interface if you are interested.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT at Yahoo dot com.

N9UMJ

Jim

That sounds exactly what I'm wanting to do, I don' want them linked full time, only for nets and severe weather.
Is there plans or instructions how your was configured or do you have a config. file so I can get an idea how it's done,
I already have a draws board and and the DV3000u and wanted to incorporate what I already had, and The site is remote and solar powered.
There are several considerations I have to keep in mind, Unless the BlueDV program can run on a Raspberry Pi.and I can still use the DV3000UsB?
I'll try whatever I need to get it running , but If the draws boards would work, I was considering a group purchase for our repeater group to link more repeater in the state to their analog repeaters
Could you please share by PM or on the thread

Thank You for the reply and your information, looking forward to hearing more!

Rick n9umj

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 1:19 AM Jim Brown via Groups.Io <w5zit=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I used the BlueDVWindows program in a beta release for the AMBE3000.  I did not use the DRAWS system, but did build an interface to allow the RS-232 control lines to signal PTT and SQ to my analog side.  The program has provisions for setting up the RS-232 control signals.

I do the exact thing you are wanting to do - during our weekly net we integrate the analog repeaters with D-Star through the BlueDV program.  I have a write-up on the Interface if you are interested.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT at Yahoo dot com.

Jim Brown <w5zit@...>

You do have to use a computer running Windows to run the BlueDV program so far as I know.  I only found the Beta version that utilized the AMBE3000 USB dongle.  I used an old desktop with Win7 at the site, and it has continued to run reliably with BlueDV.  I do have a remote VNC program running also to get to the computer from anywhere on the Internet for control.

You configure BlueDV exactly the same as if you were sitting in front of the computer running BlueDV except to utilize the RS-232 control signals for transmit and receive.  I think there are several how-to information sources for implementing the BlueDV program available on the Internet.  As stated in the write-up, the serial ports are different for the AMBE chip and the RS-232 control.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT

N9UMJ

Jim

I'll have to consider the power requirements for a PC I already have 5 Raspberry Pi's running at the site for everything from mmdvm to eEchoIRLP, APRS Plus the repeater and AirFiber bridge from the Fiber Hub 15 miles away,
I'm not a Big fan of windows and a PC is a big power hog, I have over 50 sitting in the corner that have been pulled and rplaced with more energy efficient equipment.
I have a VPN to the site so accessing it isnt a problem,
I has mentioned this to John Hays several months ago and he seemed to think using the Draws board and DV3000 USB would be possible, I was hoping someone has tried it and curious to see the results?

Thank You for your help, Ill look into the BlueDV program as a option.

I'll start looking for the program and information about the process.

73
Rick/n9umj

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 11:10 AM Jim Brown via Groups.Io <w5zit=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You do have to use a computer running Windows to run the BlueDV program so far as I know.  I only found the Beta version that utilized the AMBE3000 USB dongle.  I used an old desktop with Win7 at the site, and it has continued to run reliably with BlueDV.  I do have a remote VNC program running also to get to the computer from anywhere on the Internet for control.

You configure BlueDV exactly the same as if you were sitting in front of the computer running BlueDV except to utilize the RS-232 control signals for transmit and receive.  I think there are several how-to information sources for implementing the BlueDV program available on the Internet.  As stated in the write-up, the serial ports are different for the AMBE chip and the RS-232 control.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT

Dummy repeater (G4KLX) may be a good starting point.  I don't know of anything 'out of the box'.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 8:10 AM Jim Brown via Groups.Io <w5zit=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You do have to use a computer running Windows to run the BlueDV program so far as I know.  I only found the Beta version that utilized the AMBE3000 USB dongle.  I used an old desktop with Win7 at the site, and it has continued to run reliably with BlueDV.  I do have a remote VNC program running also to get to the computer from anywhere on the Internet for control.

You configure BlueDV exactly the same as if you were sitting in front of the computer running BlueDV except to utilize the RS-232 control signals for transmit and receive.  I think there are several how-to information sources for implementing the BlueDV program available on the Internet.  As stated in the write-up, the serial ports are different for the AMBE chip and the RS-232 control.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Steve N4IRS

Rick,
There is a lot I don't know about how you want to interface the Draws board to your Analog repeater but most of what you want to do can be done with software from DVSwitch. Analog_Bridge and MMDVM_Bridge would both be required. Rather then bore people with the nuts and bolts, join us at <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/main>

Steve N4IRS

PS John, maybe you, Bryan, Mike and I can discuss Draws to Analog_Bridge at Dayton.

Steve -- yes, lets hookup at Xenia (Dayton).

Since I haven't played with DVSwitch (but I have great confidence in Steve's project), once you get it running and have an audio stream, it should be possible to hook your analog repeater to the DRAWS™ audio interface and use the GPIO to PTT capability.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 5:11 PM Steve N4IRS <szingman@...> wrote:
Rick,
There is a lot I don't know about how you want to interface the Draws board to your Analog repeater but most of what you want to do can be done with software from DVSwitch. Analog_Bridge and MMDVM_Bridge would both be required. Rather then bore people with the nuts and bolts, join us at <https://dvswitch.groups.io/g/main>

Steve N4IRS

PS John, maybe you, Bryan, Mike and I can discuss Draws to Analog_Bridge at Dayton.

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

N9UMJ

Thanks John, I'll take a look at Dummy repeater (G4KLX) I suppose if I have to use a PC I can add anther solar panel to compensate for the additional load?  I'm looking forward to using the DV3000Usb

Rick n9umj

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 12:07 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Steve

I'm already running DV-Switch on a VPS at Digital Ocean and already a member of your .io group  When I first saw the Draws board It looked like it could be capable of interfacing analog to digital but at that time all I had was a 6 channel vocoder and I didn't want to dedicate it to just one project, Since then I purchase the DV3000usb for that project. I appreciate all of the replies and ideas.

Rick /n9umj