Topics

Good 2m rig?

Keith Williamson

Hi again,

Got it working. Needed to use RTS/CTS flowcontrol. Now if I change the VFO freq on the radio it's reflected on the Fldigi display and if I change it on the Fldigi display its reflected on the radio.

Very nice.

I'm already really liking this new TM-V71A radio!

73,

Keith
KF7DRV

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 12:06 PM Keith Williamson via Groups.Io <hkwilliamson=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks, Basil.

I had a couple of issues. I had tried to configure Fldigi to use Hamlib for rig control. That seemed to have hung the PC interface in the radio until I power cycled it. Additionally, I saw a few undervoltage warnings in dmesg so I switched to a beefier supply.

After changing out the Pi power supply and power cycling the radio, rigctl is working fine at 57600.

So now I need to figure out how to use Hamlib in Fldigi. Here is how I have it configured (although I currently have "Use Hamlib" unchecked). I figure I want to continue to use GPIO 23 for PTT (via the GPIO tab) so I have PTT via Hamlib command unchecked.

What should be used for flow control? Anything on this panel pop out to you as an issue?

image.png

Thanks,

Keith
KF7DRV

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 6:59 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Try setting the PC baud rate on the radio to 57600.
Also try connecting a serial program like screen and typing in the radio ID string. It should respond with 'OK'.
screen /dev/ttyUSB0 57600

TMV71 or D700
When I'm in front of my radio again I'll find out which works.
/Basil n7nix

On May 31, 2019 10:45:22 PM PDT, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Check out a recent script (wlgw-check.sh) I wrote for rig control of the tm-v71.
https://github.com/n7nix/auto-rmsgw-find
This script iterates through a list of RMS gateways using a TM-V71a and Hamlib rigctl
/Basil

On May 31, 2019 5:43:34 PM PDT, Keith Williamson <hkwilliamson@...> wrote:
I now have a TM-V71a connected to my UDRC and am trying to get rigctl to work with it. I have an equivalent of a PG-5H connected to a serial/USB converter enumerated as /dev/ttyUSB0. My first test of the cable was with chirp and it seems to work fine.

When I try ""rigctl -m 234 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -vvvv", I see multiple read_string timeouts and then rigctl enters command mode. When I try "f" to get the current vfo frequency, I get multiple read_string timeouts and finally "get_freq: error = Communication timed out".

Are there specific serial params needed to talk to the V71a? (e.g. RTS/CTS flow control, specific baud rate)?

Thanks for any help!

Keith
KF7DRV

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 4:13 PM Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
Bill, 6 pin mini din 1200 and 9600  although I've only used on 1200.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?

Keith Williamson

Thanks, Basil.

I had a couple of issues. I had tried to configure Fldigi to use Hamlib for rig control. That seemed to have hung the PC interface in the radio until I power cycled it. Additionally, I saw a few undervoltage warnings in dmesg so I switched to a beefier supply.

After changing out the Pi power supply and power cycling the radio, rigctl is working fine at 57600.

So now I need to figure out how to use Hamlib in Fldigi. Here is how I have it configured (although I currently have "Use Hamlib" unchecked). I figure I want to continue to use GPIO 23 for PTT (via the GPIO tab) so I have PTT via Hamlib command unchecked.

What should be used for flow control? Anything on this panel pop out to you as an issue?

image.png

Thanks,

Keith
KF7DRV

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 6:59 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Try setting the PC baud rate on the radio to 57600.
Also try connecting a serial program like screen and typing in the radio ID string. It should respond with 'OK'.
screen /dev/ttyUSB0 57600

TMV71 or D700
When I'm in front of my radio again I'll find out which works.
/Basil n7nix

On May 31, 2019 10:45:22 PM PDT, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:
Check out a recent script (wlgw-check.sh) I wrote for rig control of the tm-v71.
https://github.com/n7nix/auto-rmsgw-find
This script iterates through a list of RMS gateways using a TM-V71a and Hamlib rigctl
/Basil

On May 31, 2019 5:43:34 PM PDT, Keith Williamson <hkwilliamson@...> wrote:
I now have a TM-V71a connected to my UDRC and am trying to get rigctl to work with it. I have an equivalent of a PG-5H connected to a serial/USB converter enumerated as /dev/ttyUSB0. My first test of the cable was with chirp and it seems to work fine.

When I try ""rigctl -m 234 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -vvvv", I see multiple read_string timeouts and then rigctl enters command mode. When I try "f" to get the current vfo frequency, I get multiple read_string timeouts and finally "get_freq: error = Communication timed out".

Are there specific serial params needed to talk to the V71a? (e.g. RTS/CTS flow control, specific baud rate)?

Thanks for any help!

Keith
KF7DRV

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 4:13 PM Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
Bill, 6 pin mini din 1200 and 9600  although I've only used on 1200.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?

Basil Gunn

> [...]

When I try ""rigctl -m 234 -r /dev/ttyUSB0 -vvvv", I see multiple read_string timeouts and then rigctl enters command mode. When I try "f" to get the current vfo frequency, I get multiple read_string timeouts and finally "get_freq: error = Communication timed out".

Are there specific serial params needed to talk to the V71a? (e.g. RTS/CTS flow control, specific baud rate)?

Thanks for any help!

Keith
KF7DRV

On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 4:13 PM Doug Henry <doug.henry1@...> wrote:
Bill, 6 pin mini din 1200 and 9600  although I've only used on 1200.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

Doug Henry

Bill, 6 pin mini din 1200 and 9600  although I've only used on 1200.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 19:59, Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
> The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?

The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.
6 pin mini-din or other?

1200 baud and/or 9600 baud?

Doug Henry

The Icom IC-7000 has a data port that works well for packet.

Doug VE1ZG

On Sat, 25 May 2019 at 16:24, WA7SKG via Groups.Io <wa7skg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
You are comparing apples and oranges. The "Data Port" on ham radios is a
misnomer. It is a port for audio connections, just like the microphone
jack. It typically has PTT, TX and RX audio (often from two locations in
the radio for wide/narrow audio bandwidth), COS, and other signals. This
is designed to use with some hardware interface (TNC, modem, etc.) or
sound card (Signalink, etc.) device. Your USB connectors are for just
that, USB connections for power and data transfer. Trying to use a
mini-USB (4 pins) connector or micro-USB (5 pins) for an analog signal
cable is a recipe for disaster.

When manufacturers first started interfacing with radios, they simply
used the microphone connector. This often required the use of an
external switch box go go between the TNC and the microphone so the
radio could be used for dual purposes. Then, users wanted to hook both
devices simultaneously, plus wanted added features (discriminator tap
for UHF packet, COS, etc.) The mini-DIN 6 pin connector was an industry
standard at the time, used for PS/2 connections to computers and other
purposes. Readily available, inexpensive, smaller than Molex or DB
connectors, it was a good choice and became somewhat a standard for the
purpose.

So, hopefully, that may answer your "Why do so many of you want a DIN-6
port?" question.

Your other comments regarding the different HT/computer interfaces,
compatibilities between adapter/OS, drivers, baud rates, etc. are a
totally different issue. That is regarding purely data interfaces via
USB and converted serial data. Completely irrelevant to the conversation
at hand.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

WA7SKG <wa7skg@...>

[...]

Al,

A very reasonable question.  The mini DIN-6 configuration is the amateur radio version of an analog radio interface.  It contains key signals.  PTT (to radio), COR (from Radio), AF Audio Out (from Radio), Modulator In (to Radio), Discriminator Out (from radio), and a common ground.   It was standardized for interconnection of external modems (including TNCs), as you say, decades ago.

It was adopted for the DRAWS™ HAT so that a straight through cable with male mini DIN-6 plugs would make an easy radio interface for the audio/modem + PTT/COR connection.  If a radio has the same signals but on a different connector then a cable must be made or purchased with proper wiring.

This generation of connection did not include radio control (beyond PTT).

While the mini-DIN 6 comes very close to a standard, not so for rig control with each manufacturer implementing their own version of CAT/CI-V  some use serial ports, some USB ports, some other data jack.

To build a general interface, NW Digital Radio took what would reach the most radios.  USB connections for rig control (and audio if the radio supports it) plus 2 mini DIN-6 connections for audio and COR/PTT.   I personally prefer the hardware PTT of the GPIO connection through the mini DIN-6, when the application supports it, vs CAT control of an unknown baud rate and interface.  Many VHF/UHF radios don't even have rig control and simply use the mini DIN-6.

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 2:16 PM Al Szymanski via Groups.Io <aszy=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

Basil Gunn

Not so much as a reply , but a genuine question.
Why do so many of you want a DIN-6 port? Technology-wise, it's almost
50 years old. It's huge.
Compared to what? DB-15, DB-9? not really.

If you could , wouldn't you rather have a 2-Meter rig with a Mini-USB,
Micro-USB or ( yuck ) USB-C ?
Nope. I would rather have a mDin6 to mDin6 cable that goes from my DRAWS
Hat to the radio. Cheap cable and supported by many radios.

Is it the throughput?
Nope

Is it because "It's what all my cables are already" ?
Nope

My perspective is that it's an issue to connect any HT to a computer
and have it behave nicely.
Granted an HT is a different cable.
For me HT is a novelty and mobilinkd with APRSdroid does a good job there.

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

> Why do so many of you want a DIN-6 port? ...

I totally agree with you. I don't really "want" a din-6, but the DRAWS uses it (because the radios use it), so that's what I "need".

USB has done a fantastic job of becoming ubiquitous though...  but even then, my FT-891 doesn't supply audio over the USB port, so I need the data port.  At least this DIN-6 port is somewhat "standard".  I have 2 radios with DIN-13 ports that don't match at all, and might actually fry something if cross connected.  YUCK!

I've been on the "bleeding" edge of tech for many years now and I'm always amazed at how far behind HAM really is.

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 4:16 PM Al Szymanski via Groups.Io <aszy=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

k6acj

Yaesu FT817/818, FT7800, 8800 and 8900 are all excellent portable, mobile, fixed station data radios at 1200 and 9600 baud and the DATA DIN connector is the same for all of them.  9600 takes a very good radio so don’t go by the advertisements alone as some just don’t work very well.  I use the 817 and 9800 and have helped others with each model, no trouble and easy to setup.  Bill k6acj RACES, Aprs and Winlink.

On May 24, 2019, at 7:23 AM, Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:

Is there a list of known compatible (or at least community aware working) radios?
My FT-891 is working fine on the HF side of things (should be back any day now) and I'm working on my TM-281, but I'm flying blind creating an interface cable and hoping for the best.

Last night I spent a bit of time looking for a 2m radio with a data connector (really hoping to find one with a useful DIN-6 connector already).  But as you know the people that make and sell radios have never once tried to buy one and their websites are just "lovely".
Callum does a better job explaining it than I do:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KfbOXc6OU8
What I would love to see is a list of radios side by side with features and a set of useful filter check boxes to narrow down the array of choices.  Similar to my missive above:  "Show me all 2m capable radios with a data port"
<20190524_092107.jpg>

Al Szymanski <aszy@...>

[...]

I use an Alinco DR-235 MkIII for 220 packets and it's just ok. It is not
supported by Hamlib for rig ctrl & doesn't use a mDin6 connector for
data (DB9). I use 3 TM-V71a's for packet & they are great.

Although the TM-TM71a isn't listed in Hamlib rigctl -l it works ok if
you specify a TM-D710 as the rig ID. So another plus for the Kenwood.

If you haven't used rig ctrl on a vhf/uhf radio check out:
https://github.com/n7nix/auto-rmsgw-find
It automatically finds & tests all RMS Gateways on 2M/440,
runs on a Raspberry Pi with DRAWS or UDRC II and paclink-unix.
It is fairly TNC independent unless you want to programmatically change
between 1200 & 9600 baud packet

/Basil

John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> writes:

The Alincos are fine, but if you want true discriminator output (say for
GMSK) a mod should be applied.

https://www.k6jm.com/hs-alinco-mods.htm

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 11:28 AM Keith Williamson <hkwilliamson@...>
wrote:

I've had good luck with the Alinco DR135's. They're only $165 but are 2m
only. You do have to deal with the DB-9 data port.

I've used them for APRS digipeating and as AllstarLink simplex nodes.

I am tempted to get a TM-V71A based on what I'm reading here though. Seems
like the best fit for fldigi on RPi/DRAWS/DigiLink stack.

Keith
KF7DRV

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:30 AM Keating Floyd <kc4hsi@...> wrote:

I'll pile in positively on Ham Made Parts <https://hammadeparts.com/>
(no affiliation, just a happy customer.)

Nice and easy to deal with.

73,

Keating
KC4HSI

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 1:13 PM John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> wrote:

I believe Ham Made Parts have a cable for this.

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:01 AM Steve, N9VW <steve@...>
wrote:

Bill,
You missed one vendor, Bridgecom. They make a series of single band
radios that have a 15 pin connector for interfacing. These are
resonably
priced ($240) units. I will be setting one up for evaluation with the
DRAWS unit in the coming weeks.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 5/24/2019 9:53 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:
Is there a list of known compatible (or at least community aware
working) radios?
Here's a start of list where I was attempting to organize our options.

https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet

Oh if only we had a modern Kantronics D4-10 with agile frequency
control..

Until then, the V71 is the winner for VHF/UHF.

Bill

Kingston, WA
K7VE

The Alincos are fine, but if you want true discriminator output (say for GMSK) a mod should be applied.

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 11:28 AM Keith Williamson <hkwilliamson@...> wrote:
I've had good luck with the Alinco DR135's. They're only $165 but are 2m only.  You do have to deal with the DB-9 data port.

I've used them for APRS digipeating and as AllstarLink simplex nodes.

I am tempted to get a TM-V71A based on what I'm reading here though. Seems like the best fit for fldigi on RPi/DRAWS/DigiLink stack.

Keith
KF7DRV

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:30 AM Keating Floyd <kc4hsi@...> wrote:
I'll pile in positively on Ham Made Parts (no affiliation, just a happy customer.)

Nice and easy to deal with.

73,

Keating
KC4HSI

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 1:13 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
I believe Ham Made Parts have a cable for this.

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:01 AM Steve, N9VW <steve@...> wrote:
Bill,
You missed one vendor, Bridgecom. They make a series of single band
radios that have a 15 pin connector for interfacing. These are resonably
priced ($240) units. I will be setting one up for evaluation with the
DRAWS unit in the coming weeks.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 5/24/2019 9:53 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:
>> Is there a list of known compatible (or at least community aware working) radios?
> Here's a start of list where I was attempting to organize our options.
>
>    https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet
>
> Oh if only we had a modern Kantronics D4-10 with agile frequency control..
>
> Until then, the V71 is the winner for VHF/UHF.
>
> Bill

Kingston, WA

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Keith Williamson

I've had good luck with the Alinco DR135's. They're only $165 but are 2m only.  You do have to deal with the DB-9 data port.

I've used them for APRS digipeating and as AllstarLink simplex nodes.

I am tempted to get a TM-V71A based on what I'm reading here though. Seems like the best fit for fldigi on RPi/DRAWS/DigiLink stack.

Keith
KF7DRV

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:30 AM Keating Floyd <kc4hsi@...> wrote:
I'll pile in positively on Ham Made Parts (no affiliation, just a happy customer.)

Nice and easy to deal with.

73,

Keating
KC4HSI

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 1:13 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
I believe Ham Made Parts have a cable for this.

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:01 AM Steve, N9VW <steve@...> wrote:
Bill,
You missed one vendor, Bridgecom. They make a series of single band
radios that have a 15 pin connector for interfacing. These are resonably
priced ($240) units. I will be setting one up for evaluation with the
DRAWS unit in the coming weeks.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 5/24/2019 9:53 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:
>> Is there a list of known compatible (or at least community aware working) radios?
> Here's a start of list where I was attempting to organize our options.
>
>    https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet
>
> Oh if only we had a modern Kantronics D4-10 with agile frequency control..
>
> Until then, the V71 is the winner for VHF/UHF.
>
> Bill

Kingston, WA
K7VE

https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet
You missed one vendor,
Thanks everyone - updates and corrections have been applied.

Keating Floyd

I'll pile in positively on Ham Made Parts (no affiliation, just a happy customer.)

Nice and easy to deal with.

73,

Keating
KC4HSI

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 1:13 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
I believe Ham Made Parts have a cable for this.

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:01 AM Steve, N9VW <steve@...> wrote:
Bill,
You missed one vendor, Bridgecom. They make a series of single band
radios that have a 15 pin connector for interfacing. These are resonably
priced ($240) units. I will be setting one up for evaluation with the
DRAWS unit in the coming weeks.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 5/24/2019 9:53 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:
>> Is there a list of known compatible (or at least community aware working) radios?
> Here's a start of list where I was attempting to organize our options.
>
>    https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet
>
> Oh if only we had a modern Kantronics D4-10 with agile frequency control..
>
> Until then, the V71 is the winner for VHF/UHF.
>
> Bill

Kingston, WA
K7VE

I believe Ham Made Parts have a cable for this.

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 10:01 AM Steve, N9VW <steve@...> wrote:
Bill,
You missed one vendor, Bridgecom. They make a series of single band
radios that have a 15 pin connector for interfacing. These are resonably
priced ($240) units. I will be setting one up for evaluation with the
DRAWS unit in the coming weeks.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 5/24/2019 9:53 AM, Bill Vodall wrote:
>> Is there a list of known compatible (or at least community aware working) radios?
> Here's a start of list where I was attempting to organize our options.
>
>    https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet
>
> Oh if only we had a modern Kantronics D4-10 with agile frequency control..
>
> Until then, the V71 is the winner for VHF/UHF.
>
> Bill

Kingston, WA
K7VE