Topics

WinDV

VE3MIC

Good point... although I am running on Windows 7 (32bit) I too am using a 1st run (lower serial bit rate) ThumbDV. Perhaps the issue is with the serial port and the bit rate of the ThumbDV?
73 de Mike

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 2:42 PM, Roland Kraatz <w9hpx.4@...> wrote:

I run WinDV (ver. 1.5.8-3) on my 64bit Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 Home and with my NWDR ThumbDV (original slower serial rate) with no operating issues or gray lines.  It is my primary windows PC with lots of other software installed on it.
73,
Roland W9HPX

Roland W9HPX

I run WinDV (ver. 1.5.8-3) on my 64bit Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 Home and with my NWDR ThumbDV (original slower serial rate) with no operating issues or gray lines.  It is my primary windows PC with lots of other software installed on it.

73,

Roland W9HPX

Mark L. Rehme

I just checked, all of my machines are 64 bit, that could very well be the problem.

I have Firefox on all of them also but I wouldn't think that would matter.

I did try and load it on a XP machine - that didn't work.

I might just have to dedicate a new machine with windows 10 so I can get this working.

Thanks,

Mark

Thomas Cichowicz <cichowicz@...>

I've had similar issues from time to time. I've always been able to get the problem to go away by unplugging and re plugging the ThmbDV in and out, and or removing other USB devices that may be plugged in at the time and only have the ThmbDV in then re-launch the app.

  Kinda hit or miss but it generally works. I've seen this on also 3 computers running Win7 64, I upgraded to win 10 on one of them and it still does it once in a while.

  Good luck...

~TomC.

Sent by pressing a send button.

On Apr 4, 2017, at 4:24 PM, Mark L. Rehme <mark.rehme@...> wrote:

I have 3 machines with windows 7 on them, they all have the grey/white diagonal lines.

I have uninstalled and installed numerous time on all the machines, at one time I though it was going to work but the lines came back.

I don't know what to try at this point, New machine with a different operating system?

Thanks,

Mark   NR5L

ve3mic@...

Interesting Mark.

I'm wondering if all three of your Windows 7 installations are 64bit? I've been running WinDV on a Windows 7 laptop (32bit) for a couple of years now, and other than the occasional program hang when there is a lot of activity (D-STAR) activity going on, it's fine. I've even been through a few WinDV application program version updates along the way too. Wondering if it's a 32bit vs. 64bit thing? I'll try to install the latest WinDV on my 32 bit Windows 10 (yes 32bit!) netbook, and see what happens.

73 de Mike

Mark L. Rehme

I have 3 machines with windows 7 on them, they all have the grey/white diagonal lines.

I have uninstalled and installed numerous time on all the machines, at one time I though it was going to work but the lines came back.

I don't know what to try at this point, New machine with a different operating system?

Thanks,

Mark   NR5L

Brendan O'Neill

I understand the support situation, thank you for your reply. I have attempted to get this going ion a Win 7 Enterprise laptop and I am having the exact same issues with being troubled with display issues. I have sent 5 communications to DutchStar and have zero replies, so now I have 2 different Windows versions experiencing the exact same issue with display issues keeping me from using the WinDV software.

I will look into the AmbeServer that someone else was suggesting but Buster is working and I do believe in the Keep it Simple S_____ method, so if it works why break it, right ?

73,

Brendan

KM4HRR

Scott Currie

I suspect an incompatibility between WinDV and Win10 and/or your computer. I have run WinDV on a Win7 system with a ThumbDV for weeks on end without any problems. WinDV is still considered beta, and has not seen any updates from Dutch*Star in some time (nearly 2 years ago). I'm not sure it was even tested on Win10.

-Scott, NS7C

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 10:33 PM, Brendan O'Neill <brendan.oneill@...> wrote:

I've gone roughly 1hour w/o the app crashing or having display issues but the "stop" button to end a transmission is failing to engage once a transmission has begun. Thet's just bad amateur radio practice and if it's the app failing then that's no good. It's a pretty app but I'm not sure it's a very reliable app at this time. Well, I hope it's been noticed and addressed. I have no idea if they are reading my submissions, I get no replies.

I do not want just complain or point out faults. I do appreciate the application and the effort that's been put into it. So, thank you for the app and I hope my donation goes toward making it a better app.

73,

Brendan

KM4HRR

--
-Scott

Brendan,

Since you have a Mac and Windows, you might want to consider setting up an AMBE server on your LAN, see: https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe/wiki/Installing-AMBEserver-on-a-Raspberry-Pi-and-ThumbDV%E2%84%A2

Buster can address it, and DummyRepeater (+ ircDDBGateway) can address it on Windows.

I am sorry you are having difficulty with WinDV, but NW Digital Radio is only able to provide support for the ThumbDV and PiDV in the AMBE area.  Software support must come from the software authors.

By the way, there is a group specific for these devices at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/ambe

[...]

Well, that was short lived. It's back to it's old ways again. Unacceptable That I'd have to do a regedit and reconfigure software each time I want to use the software. WinDV needs work! To bad DutchStar does not reply to emails. I've sent 3 all with no reply.

73,

Brendan

KM4HRR

Brendan O'Neill

Well, looks like I'm back up and running. I had to do the Regedit and remove the entire folder under Software and rerun the installer, I did I have do this two times for it to work but I now have WinDV running and working on my Win10 Surf e Pro2.

here is what I did:

Windows Key + r

type regedit

click ok

click yes

scroll to HKEY_CURRENT_USER

expand with arrow

scroll to SOFTWARE

expand with arrow

scroll to MicroWalt Corporation

highlight, right click delete

rerun WinDV installer

once installed run WinDV in Win7 Compatability Mode

this was a frustrating battle but it's fixed and I'm happy.

73,

Brendan

KM4HRR

Philip Thompson

Just for info, I have the baud rate set to 460800.  Any other suggestions?

Tnx

Phil

w6pd

Brendan O'Neill

Problem is that 100% of the time the app loads all troubled with the lines and nothing is clickable, the app is 100% useless. Reboot, reinstall, re-insert, remove, re-add, regedit, nothing helps. The app does not allow me to interface with it at all.

73,

Brendan

KM4HRR

Martin Hennessey

Good afternoon

Could you try and change the baud rate next to port number in program options to 460800 and see if that works ! Think that's how I got sorted let me know pls

73 M0MBV

 Martin Hennessey ,

On 8 Dec 2016, at 03:49, Brendan O'Neill <brendan.oneill@...> wrote:

I have a ThumbDV and I'm trying to use WinDV on my Surface Pro 2 running Win10 and each time the WinDV loads it is troubled with grey/white diagonal lines rendering the app useless. I have uninstalled the app, did a regedit to remove all mentions, reinstalled and it continues to be troubled. I have played with screen resolution and color pallet and I cannot get the app to run correctly. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this? My current work around is using Buster on my MacBook Air, it's working but I'd like to solve that issue I am having in Windows 10 Surface.

73,

Brendan

KM4HRR

Philip Thompson

Have the same problem here with WinDV.  Running Windows 10 and a Dell laptop.  I have re-starting WinDV, sometimes the problem is corrected, other times I have re-inserted the ThumbDV, and other times I have done both with no luck.  I have deleted and reinstalled WinDV, no change.

I do not know if this is related, but I have another problem with WinDV or the ThumbDV where the incoming signal is unreadable. The incoming audio breaks up, words are cut in half.

Thanks for reading
Phil
W6PD

Brendan O'Neill

I am getting this symptom 100% of the time now, with or without the ThumbDV inserted. Removing and re-inserting does not cure the problem. I am going to try another Windows machine and see what happens. I'm up and running in my MacBook Air with the Buster app now.

73,

Brendan

KM4HRR

Tom Cichowicz

I have seen that same symptom from time to time, and I'm running Windows 7 (x64).

The cause/solution always points to the com port - and the thumbdv being recognized correctly by the OS.

This can be corrected by removing and re-inserting the thumbdv perhaps taking more than one time to resolve.

I'm guessing that if you unplug the thumbdv from the computer and launch WinDV it will launch without those lines....

I have found this problem on the 4 computers I'm installed and run the Thumbdv on(all Win7).

Good luck.

--
Mobile: (941) 888-4519

(\__/)
(='.'=)   KM4VIG

On Dec 7, 2016, at 10:49 PM, Brendan O'Neill <brendan.oneill@...> wrote:

I have a ThumbDV and I'm trying to use WinDV on my Surface Pro 2 running Win10 and each time the WinDV loads it is troubled with grey/white diagonal lines rendering the app useless. I have uninstalled the app, did a regedit to remove all mentions, reinstalled and it continues to be troubled. I have played with screen resolution and color pallet and I cannot get the app to run correctly. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this? My current work around is using Buster on my MacBook Air, it's working but I'd like to solve that issue I am having in Windows 10 Surface.

73,

Brendan

KM4HRR

Brendan O'Neill

Edited

I have a ThumbDV and I'm trying to use WinDV on my Surface Pro 2 running Win10 and each time the WinDV loads it is troubled with grey/white diagonal lines rendering the app useless. I have uninstalled the app, did a regedit to remove all mentions, reinstalled and it continues to be troubled. I have played with screen resolution and color pallet and I cannot get the app to run correctly. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this? My current work around is using Buster on my MacBook Air, it's working but I'd like to solve that issue I am having in Windows 10 Surface. I run ThumbTest and it's working just fine with regard to system recognition it's just the software is not working well and with 3 emails into DutchStar and no replies I am curious what others are seeing with WinDV 1.5.3 Beta3.

73,

Brendan

KM4HRR