Topics

Dutch-Star web site

leslie norton <gm4jnw@...>

It seems i have a lot to learn about D-Star!

After doing a quick search on the net it looks like using a dongle is rather restricted compared to using a transceiver, from what i have read (tell me if I’m wrong) there is no way of routing or linking on a dongle.
Which appears to mean that you have reflectors ect and you are dependant on whether someone has linked your local repeater to that reflector, be that the owner of the repeater or someone with a transceiver creating the link.

Have i read it right?

I have worked through reflectors which is great as its almost like calling CQ but if I want to particularly call via my local repeater I cannot see a way with a dongle.

On 9 Mar 2017, at 01:50, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

D-STAR linking

Leslie,

From what I am gathering RV58 refers to repeater frequency pair, which has no meaning with respect to D-STAR linking.  Linking is by Callsign plus module ID or a meet-up on a reflector.  You need to input the callsign of the repeater, if included and link in that manner.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 12:12 AM, leslie norton <gm4jnw@...> wrote:
Sorry John finger trouble, its early here haha
I meant to say RV e.g. my repeater is RV58

On 8 Mar 2017, at 08:07, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

I've not heard of DVU -- is this yet another linking system?

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 12:02 AM, leslie norton <gm4jnw@...> wrote:
The only issue I have is with Buster software as i use a Mac, there isn’t the number of channels that are available e.g.: any DVU channels, my local repeater is on DVU49.
I cannot find any DVU listed on Buster.
I haven’t tried any windows software as that would mean me buying windows to use just for D-star and dual booting.
Im in the UK

Les
G4JNW

On 8 Mar 2017, at 03:08, Phil Thompson <n39w121@...> wrote:

Hi Dave

I have been using the ThumbDV with WinDV for over a year, first with a Windows 7 laptop.  The Windows 7 laptop decided to leave this earth and I replaced it with a new laptop with Windows 10, the ThumbDV, WinDV and / or Windows 10 are not getting along, I have not been able to get on to D-Star. I will be glad to say more.

Please let me know how you do.

That's my short story

Phil, W6PD

Philip Thompson

Thanks Dave, I am glad it is working well for you.  I have been reading the Buster comments, of course that will not work for me.

Thanks

pd

I do not have the software working yet on Windows but the ThumbDV is working great on OS X using Buster software.  I'll play around a bit more with Windows  (I am a novice at that system) and let you know.

73, Dave N3CI

David Edger

Hi Phil:

I do not have the software working yet on Windows but the ThumbDV is working great on OS X using Buster software.  I'll play around a bit more with Windows  (I am a novice at that system) and let you know.

73, Dave N3CI

Dan Porter (AI2M)

:-)

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017, at 01:45 PM, Lyn wrote:
Dan,

Thanks for helping me find the secret handshake!

All four of the XREFs I wanted are now working just fine. Now all I need to do is copy the DExtra plist to a thumbdrive and upgrade the fleet.

Oh, and I need to organize and file away your instructions for the next time!

Best 73,
Lyn - KC8!

On Mar 8, 2017, at 11:18 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

I will look into providing new .plist files via http://ar-dns.net

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:14 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I think the REF list gets pulled in when Buster authenticates with the DPLUS infrastructure.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
Thanks Dan. I’ll give it a try.

73,
Lyn - KC8I

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Dan Porter <groups@...> wrote:
>
> Actually, you can edit the DCS and DExtra host files.
>
> Buster app -> Show package contents -> Contents -> Resources -> DCSReflectors.plist and DExtraReflectors.plist.
>
> I think the REF host file may be coded in the app, though.
>
> 73, Dan - AI2M
>

> On 8 Mar 2017, at 12:11, Lyn wrote:
>
>> From what I can’t tell, support has dried up for Buster. Four of the XRFs I want to use won’t link - there of them timeout and one says Doesn’t Exist. My email to the author went unanswered.
>>
>> I assume these XRFs showed up after Buster 1.0 was released. Usually one would update a hosts files to add these, but apparently Buster has the connections hard coded in the app (my guess).  If so, it would required the author NH6Z or a competent C hacker to make updates.
>>
>> I believe the source code is available per this link…
>>

>> It looks like the code could be updated and re-released under another (completely different) name, Any takers for this task?
>>
>> 73,
>> KC8I - Lyn
>>
>> PS - The voice prompt quite working after a recent macOS update.
>>

>>> On Mar 8, 2017, at 1:12 AM, leslie norton <gm4jnw@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry John finger trouble, its early here haha
>>> I meant to say RV e.g. my repeater is RV58

Lyn

> [...]

>> 73,
>> KC8I - Lyn
>>
>> PS - The voice prompt quite working after a recent macOS update.
>>

>>> On Mar 8, 2017, at 1:12 AM, leslie norton <gm4jnw@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry John finger trouble, its early here haha
>>> I meant to say RV e.g. my repeater is RV58
>>>
>>> https://www.ukrepeater.net/my_channel.php?channel=RV58 <https://www.ukrepeater.net/my_channel.php?channel=RV58>

Lyn

Thanks Dan. I’ll give it a try.

73,
Lyn - KC8I

On Mar 8, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Dan Porter <groups@...> wrote:

Actually, you can edit the DCS and DExtra host files.

Buster app -> Show package contents -> Contents -> Resources -> DCSReflectors.plist and DExtraReflectors.plist.

I think the REF host file may be coded in the app, though.

From what I can’t tell, support has dried up for Buster. Four of the XRFs I want to use won’t link - there of them timeout and one says Doesn’t Exist. My email to the author went unanswered.

On 8 Mar 2017, at 13:01, Dan Porter wrote:

Actually, you can edit the DCS and DExtra host files.

Buster app -> Show package contents -> Contents -> Resources -> DCSReflectors.plist and DExtraReflectors.plist.

I think the REF host file may be coded in the app, though.

73, Dan - AI2M

On 8 Mar 2017, at 12:11, Lyn wrote:

From what I can’t tell, support has dried up for Buster. Four of the XRFs I want to use won’t link - there of them timeout and one says Doesn’t Exist. My email to the author went unanswered.

[...]

From what I can’t tell, support has dried up for Buster. Four of the XRFs I want to use won’t link - there of them timeout and one says Doesn’t Exist. My email to the author went unanswered.

[...]

From what I can’t tell, support has dried up for Buster. Four of the XRFs I want to use won’t link - there of them timeout and one says Doesn’t Exist. My email to the author went unanswered.

Phil Thompson <n39w121@...>

Hi Dave

I have been using the ThumbDV with WinDV for over a year, first with a Windows 7 laptop.  The Windows 7 laptop decided to leave this earth and I replaced it with a new laptop with Windows 10, the ThumbDV, WinDV and / or Windows 10 are not getting along, I have not been able to get on to D-Star. I will be glad to say more.

Please let me know how you do.

That's my short story

Phil, W6PD

dave@...

Hi Phil

I just downloaded Thumbtest.exe to verify my ThumbDV was alive.

I worked as advertised.

I use my ThumbDV with a Flex 6700, it plugs directly into a USB socket on the Radio.

Which software are you using ? I am looking for something that will run native on a PC

Dave W0DHB