Topics

Questions regarding N7nix's installation instructions

Gayland Gump

I'm asking a these questions in an effort to increase my understanding of why and how we accomplish things in the Linux world.  They may be annoying to some of you, so I apologize in advance.  Sorry!

apt-get install -y mg jed rsync build-essential autoconf automake libtool git libasound2-dev whois libncurses5-dev

I'd like to know if mg (microscopic GNU Emacs-style editor), jed (editor for programmers (textmode version)), and whois (intelligent WHOIS client) are essential to the scripts you are providing, or are just tools you as the script author likes to have available?  If essential, how so?

rsync - is already available on the compass image or is after the running "apt-get update -y"  you call for prior to the apt-get install above.  Does this serve any purpose then?

The remaining elements I recognize as being either tools or libraries needed to create an environment for building applications.

More questions I am sure will follow as I move forward while following your much appreciated instructions.

Gayland
KG7GCF

Gayland Gump

So,  using a clean install of 2016-05-23-compass.img onto a 32 GB SD, and following the instructions provided in https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/CORE_INSTALL.md
and running the ~/n7nix/config/core_install.sh script has, according to the follow on testing instruction has provided a working core installation, ax25, direwolf, and udrc.

As it stands, only one packet has been received in the 30 minutes that the system has be operating.  Possibly suggesting that the direwolf configuration could use some tweaks.  In any event I am looking at installing paclink-unix using these instructions:
WooHoo! detected a second Packet!  Same sender though.

But before I do I have a question regarding the information the instructions tell me the script will require I enter.  Specifically, Winlink password, server FQDN ( eg. check_test5.localnet), and SSID (eg. bacon).  Taking them in order here are my questions.

From what I can tell at present, I can't get a winlink password without having a winlink client up running to get one.  Winlink org instructions recommend winlink express, running on windows.  We are a windows free zone.  In any case, winlink orgs instructions say not to enter a password the first time you log on to winlink.org, they'll send and email.  So do I just put anything in the password or leave it blank?  Instructions say it is required!

Server FQDN?  So just what server fully qualified domain name are we talking about here.  The example suggest to me that I just makeup some random FQDN.

Finally, SSID, I take to be the name of one of my home wifi access points, but "Bacon", who names their home networks "BACON".    Let me know if my assumption is off base here.

So, once I have some clarifications, on these particular items, I feel comfortable proceeding with the of the paclink-unix setup.

Thanks for your patience!  Looking forward to input.

Gayland
KG7GCF

    Basil Gunn

    The following line appears in
    https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/CORE_INSTALL.md:

    apt-get install -y mg jed rsync build-essential autoconf automake
    libtool git libasound2-dev whois libncurses5-dev

    I'd like to know if mg (microscopic GNU Emacs-style editor), jed
    (editor for programmers (textmode version)), and whois (intelligent
    WHOIS client) are essential to the scripts you are providing, or are
    just tools you as the script author likes to have available?
    The 2 Emacs editors are essential to me as my fingers are wired that
    way. 'whois' is handy for debugging some network problems. All small
    programs.

    rsync - is already available on the compass image or is after the
    running "apt-get update -y" you call for prior to the apt-get
    install above. Does this serve any purpose then?
    rsync is important for getting files on & off your device. Since the
    compass image changes it may already be installed. I absolutely need
    it and it costs nothing for apt-get to figure that out.

    /Basil n7nix

    Basil Gunn

    So, using a clean install of 2016-05-23-compass.img onto a 32 GB SD,
    and following the instructions provided

    As it stands, only one packet has been received in the 30 minutes
    that the system has be operating.
    Tune your radio to 144.39. The 2M APRS frequency. That should give you
    some traffic.

    From what I can tell at present, I can't get a winlink password
    without having a winlink client up running to get one.
    Correct, thanks for pointing that out. So if you are a Winlink
    newbie, just hit return for password & follow the Winlink
    instructions.

    Server FQDN?
    So just what server fully qualified domain name are we
    talking about here.
    Use whatever host name you gave from the core install & add '.localnet'
    eg. your_host_name.localnet

    Finally, SSID, I take to be the name of one of my home wifi access
    points, but "Bacon", who names their home networks "BACON".
    I do. I like bacon & I'm a ham, a close relative to bacon. It has to
    be different that any other AP in your home. Make something up you can
    remember.

    Let me know if my assumption is off base here.
    All questions are good.

    So, once I have some clarifications, on these particular items, I feel
    comfortable proceeding with the of the paclink-unix setup.
    I recommend you get the basic paclink-unix working first.

    /Basil n7nix

    Gayland Gump

    Basil,

    Been trying to get paclink-unix to work but it is a no-go.  Am able to send via wl2ktelnet, but wl2kax25 has been failing pretty consistently with connection time outs to every contact site rmslist.sh as provided that I've tried so far.  I'm monitoring the spectrum with gqrx connected to an rtl-sdr and it appears that I am successfully sending out packets from my yaesu ft857D.

    I've set my freq to 144.390 and have seen a good number of APRS contacts, on the direwofl log tail.  So I built xastir 2.0.9 from source.  I started it and set the interface to AGWPE localhost:8000 and it was populating a map well.  I didn't transmit my beacon though.  I've tried sending messages out and I believe direwolf is getting the messages, they are not triggering the transmitter to transmit packets.

    That pretty much sums up where I am, though it appears that either APRS traffic has fallen off greatly or I've somehow tweaked some setting because I am not seeing much displayed on xastir's map the past couple days.

    I have another pi/direwolf/udrc setup that was not configured by your scripts.  It is hooked up to one of my Baofeng HT's and it is transmitting, though I haven't gotten much incoming on it either and haven't connected with anyone.

    I am hoping you'll be able to give me some ideas on how to troubleshoot things.  I am pretty much lost at the moment.

    Thanks for your time.

    Peter Dahl, WA7FUS

    Gayland,
    I am having good success with my setup, installed with Basil’s scripts. Several miles away from me in Shoreline is W7AUX-10. Using wl2kax25 I connect to them on 145.05 successfully every time I try. Not being fluent in the  default text editor installed with Mutt I edited .muttrc so that editor=nano. I have been able to send and receive Winlink messages.
    Having a desire to relive the 80s when packet radio and bbs’s was the rage I downloaded,  compiled, and installed Linpac, a split screen packet radio terminal program with many features. Dialing my ID880h to 145.01 and issuing the command, :connect sea, I flawlessly connect to the SEA packet node on Baldi Mt.
    I have not yet figured out what to enter on the command line to tell Direwolf to change from 1200 to 9.6k baud. Have you discovered the command for this? I want to try to decode 9.6k xastir packets on 440.8 then see if I can get one of my local friends to try some 9.6k packet chat and file transfers like we used to do back in the day.

    Be encouraged that the scripts Basil had written for us do create a working installation.

    73,
    Peter WA7FUS

    On Apr 30, 2017, at 5:12 PM, Gayland Gump <kg7gcf@...> wrote:

[...]

    It sounds like PTT control is not working.

    What radio are you using?
    Which cable are you using, mini-din6 or the HD15?
    Did you make the cable or buy it?

    Tune your radio to some unused simplex frequency & set to low power.

    In ~/bin stop direwolf by running ./ax25-stop as root.
    In the n7nix/deviation directory, find the measure_deviate.sh script.

    Depending on which cable you are using as root run either
    ./measure_deviate.sh -c din6
    or
    ./measure_deviate.sh -c hd15

    Look at the radio the udrc is attached to. You should see some
    indication that it is transmitting.

    Tune another radio to the same frequency you should hear a tone if
    PTT is set up properly.

    /Basil

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 17:12:47 -0700
    "Gayland Gump" <kg7gcf@...> wrote:

    Been trying to get paclink-unix to work but it is a no-go.  Am able
    to send via wl2ktelnet, but wl2kax25 has been failing pretty
    consistently with connection time outs to every contact site
    rmslist.sh as provided that I've tried so far.  I'm monitoring the
    spectrum with gqrx connected to an rtl-sdr and it appears that I am
    successfully sending out packets from my yaesu ft857D.

    I've set my freq to 144.390 and have seen a good number of APRS
    contacts, on the direwofl log tail.  So I built xastir 2.0.9 from
    source.  I started it and set the interface to AGWPE localhost:8000
    and it was populating a map well.  I didn't transmit my beacon
    though.  I've tried sending messages out and I believe direwolf is
    getting the messages, they are not triggering the transmitter to
    transmit packets.

    Basil Gunn

    Hi Peter,

    I have not yet figured out what to enter on the command
    line to tell Direwolf to change from 1200 to 9.6k baud.
    Edit /etc/direwolf.conf

    For both Channel 0 & Channel 1 change the line that reads:

    modem 1200

    modem 9600

    Now restart direwolf by:

    cd /home/pi/bin