Topics

Buster plist files

I have a beta up generating the .plist files for DExtra on Buster.

I haven't had a chance to test, but wanted to make it available.

Save your old .plist files and you can swap in the files generated.

One is only reflectors, the other is reflectors plus gateways.

The XRX### reflector names are for XLX reflectors running xlxd as modified by VK4TUX (limited number currently -- try XRX060 for testing).

http://ar-dns.net  (to get plist files)
https://github.com/vk4tux/xlxd (Adrian's fork of xlxd for setting up a reflector)

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:18 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I will look into providing new .plist files via http://ar-dns.net

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:14 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I think the REF list gets pulled in when Buster authenticates with the DPLUS infrastructure.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
Thanks Dan. I’ll give it a try.

73,
Lyn - KC8I

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Dan Porter <groups@...> wrote:
>
> Actually, you can edit the DCS and DExtra host files.
>
> Buster app -> Show package contents -> Contents -> Resources -> DCSReflectors.plist and DExtraReflectors.plist.

Lyn

Hi John,

Thanks for addressing the plists update issue.

I’m trying to test your plist but I think i’m working above my pay grade - again.

I’m comparing my current plist file with the one I downloaded. They both open with Xcode by default. I edited my original plist just now using Xcode and it worked fine.

However, when I open the original .plist file, it appears as a table….

When I open the .html file that I downloaded, it shows the html code….

What should I do next?

73,
Lyn - KC8I

On Mar 8, 2017, at 1:24 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

I have a beta up generating the .plist files for DExtra on Buster.

I haven't had a chance to test, but wanted to make it available.

Save your old .plist files and you can swap in the files generated.

One is only reflectors, the other is reflectors plus gateways.

The XRX### reflector names are for XLX reflectors running xlxd as modified by VK4TUX (limited number currently -- try XRX060 for testing).

http://ar-dns.net  (to get plist files)
https://github.com/vk4tux/xlxd (Adrian's fork of xlxd for setting up a reflector)

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:18 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I will look into providing new .plist files via http://ar-dns.net

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:14 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I think the REF list gets pulled in when Buster authenticates with the DPLUS infrastructure.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
Thanks Dan. I’ll give it a try.

73,
Lyn - KC8I

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Dan Porter <groups@...> wrote:
>
> Actually, you can edit the DCS and DExtra host files.
>
> Buster app -> Show package contents -> Contents -> Resources -> DCSReflectors.plist and DExtraReflectors.plist.

A .plist is an XML file -- if you open it in xcode you get the table you see, if you open it with an editor you get the XML you see.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks for addressing the plists update issue.

I’m trying to test your plist but I think i’m working above my pay grade - again.

I’m comparing my current plist file with the one I downloaded. They both open with Xcode by default. I edited my original plist just now using Xcode and it worked fine.

However, when I open the original .plist file, it appears as a table….

When I open the .html file that I downloaded, it shows the html code….

What should I do next?

73,
Lyn - KC8I

On Mar 8, 2017, at 1:24 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

I have a beta up generating the .plist files for DExtra on Buster.

I haven't had a chance to test, but wanted to make it available.

Save your old .plist files and you can swap in the files generated.

One is only reflectors, the other is reflectors plus gateways.

The XRX### reflector names are for XLX reflectors running xlxd as modified by VK4TUX (limited number currently -- try XRX060 for testing).

http://ar-dns.net  (to get plist files)
https://github.com/vk4tux/xlxd (Adrian's fork of xlxd for setting up a reflector)

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:18 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I will look into providing new .plist files via http://ar-dns.net

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:14 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I think the REF list gets pulled in when Buster authenticates with the DPLUS infrastructure.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
Thanks Dan. I’ll give it a try.

73,
Lyn - KC8I

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Dan Porter <groups@...> wrote:
>
> Actually, you can edit the DCS and DExtra host files.
>
> Buster app -> Show package contents -> Contents -> Resources -> DCSReflectors.plist and DExtraReflectors.plist.

Lyn

O.K.

After scratching my head briefly, I renamed the .xml file by removing the .xml extension and the set of double quotes, so it now looks like a normal plist file. When I open it in Xcode now, it looks like my original plist.

Was that the correct approach?

Lyn

On Mar 8, 2017, at 3:14 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

A .plist is an XML file -- if you open it in xcode you get the table you see, if you open it with an editor you get the XML you see.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks for addressing the plists update issue.

I’m trying to test your plist but I think i’m working above my pay grade - again.

I’m comparing my current plist file with the one I downloaded. They both open with Xcode by default. I edited my original plist just now using Xcode and it worked fine.

However, when I open the original .plist file, it appears as a table….

<Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 3.01.33 PM.png>

When I open the .html file that I downloaded, it shows the html code….

<Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 3.02.03 PM.png>

What should I do next?

73,
Lyn - KC8I

On Mar 8, 2017, at 1:24 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

I have a beta up generating the .plist files for DExtra on Buster.

I haven't had a chance to test, but wanted to make it available.

Save your old .plist files and you can swap in the files generated.

One is only reflectors, the other is reflectors plus gateways.

The XRX### reflector names are for XLX reflectors running xlxd as modified by VK4TUX (limited number currently -- try XRX060 for testing).

http://ar-dns.net  (to get plist files)
https://github.com/vk4tux/xlxd (Adrian's fork of xlxd for setting up a reflector)

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:18 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I will look into providing new .plist files via http://ar-dns.net

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:14 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I think the REF list gets pulled in when Buster authenticates with the DPLUS infrastructure.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
Thanks Dan. I’ll give it a try.

73,
Lyn - KC8I

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Dan Porter <groups@...> wrote:
>
> Actually, you can edit the DCS and DExtra host files.
>
> Buster app -> Show package contents -> Contents -> Resources -> DCSReflectors.plist and DExtraReflectors.plist.

I'm not sure how you downloaded it, it is coded to download with the right name and .plist on the end -- either way the content is .plist formatted XML.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:21 PM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
O.K.

After scratching my head briefly, I renamed the .xml file by removing the .xml extension and the set of double quotes, so it now looks like a normal plist file. When I open it in Xcode now, it looks like my original plist.

Was that the correct approach?

Lyn

On Mar 8, 2017, at 3:14 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

A .plist is an XML file -- if you open it in xcode you get the table you see, if you open it with an editor you get the XML you see.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks for addressing the plists update issue.

I’m trying to test your plist but I think i’m working above my pay grade - again.

I’m comparing my current plist file with the one I downloaded. They both open with Xcode by default. I edited my original plist just now using Xcode and it worked fine.

However, when I open the original .plist file, it appears as a table….

<Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 3.01.33 PM.png>

When I open the .html file that I downloaded, it shows the html code….

<Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 3.02.03 PM.png>

What should I do next?

73,
Lyn - KC8I

On Mar 8, 2017, at 1:24 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

I have a beta up generating the .plist files for DExtra on Buster.

I haven't had a chance to test, but wanted to make it available.

Save your old .plist files and you can swap in the files generated.

One is only reflectors, the other is reflectors plus gateways.

The XRX### reflector names are for XLX reflectors running xlxd as modified by VK4TUX (limited number currently -- try XRX060 for testing).

http://ar-dns.net  (to get plist files)
https://github.com/vk4tux/xlxd (Adrian's fork of xlxd for setting up a reflector)

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:18 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I will look into providing new .plist files via http://ar-dns.net

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:14 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I think the REF list gets pulled in when Buster authenticates with the DPLUS infrastructure.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
Thanks Dan. I’ll give it a try.

73,
Lyn - KC8I

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Dan Porter <groups@...> wrote:
>
> Actually, you can edit the DCS and DExtra host files.
>
> Buster app -> Show package contents -> Contents -> Resources -> DCSReflectors.plist and DExtraReflectors.plist.

Lyn

HI John,

The good news is that I have it working. It took some playing around though.

1.) To download the file, I went to http://ar-dns.net with Safari.
I clicked on the appropriate …Beta Test link
Safaria automatically downloaded the xml file with the name 'DExtraReflectors.plist’.xml
(Just noticed that the are single quote marks, not double)

2.) As I mentioned, I renamed the file as DExtraReflectors.plist by deleting the extraneous characters
Only then did Xcode open it and show the table format.

3.) I replaced the original .plist with this one
It seemed to work OK
However, one of the 4 XREFs I updated manually this morning would not connect
Comparing plists showed that XREF720 was not up to date in the download

4.) When I tried to edit the .plist in place I would not let me save the file due to permissions issues

5.) I edited the file in another location and then copied and pasted it into the proper location
Everything I tried works OK now, including XREF720.

73,
Lyn - KC8I

PS -  XREF link should be xrf720.freestar.us

On Mar 8, 2017, at 1:24 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

I have a beta up generating the .plist files for DExtra on Buster.

I haven't had a chance to test, but wanted to make it available.

Save your old .plist files and you can swap in the files generated.

One is only reflectors, the other is reflectors plus gateways.

The XRX### reflector names are for XLX reflectors running xlxd as modified by VK4TUX (limited number currently -- try XRX060 for testing).

http://ar-dns.net  (to get plist files)
https://github.com/vk4tux/xlxd (Adrian's fork of xlxd for setting up a reflector)

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:18 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I will look into providing new .plist files via http://ar-dns.net

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:14 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
I think the REF list gets pulled in when Buster authenticates with the DPLUS infrastructure.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 10:05 AM, Lyn <radiokc8i@...> wrote:
Thanks Dan. I’ll give it a try.

73,
Lyn - KC8I

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 11:01 AM, Dan Porter <groups@...> wrote:
>
> Actually, you can edit the DCS and DExtra host files.
>
> Buster app -> Show package contents -> Contents -> Resources -> DCSReflectors.plist and DExtraReflectors.plist.

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>

For the record, the author tries to be as responsive as possible to people that email him, but he gets literally hundreds of emails a day from people asking various questions.  He has a day job that is not writing Buster and he has commitments to NWDR to be doing Raspberry Pi work for the existing products as well as new product development.

To answer some questions:
1)  Yes, the DPlus reflector list is constructed by the download from the DPlus authentication server when Buster starts up. (This code is in BTRDPlusAuthenticator.m starting at around line 185).
2)  I had not recommended to people that they replace out the .plist files because the application is signed with my developer certificate.  I has to be so that it can be on the App Store.  It must be on the App Store because it includes Maps integration.  Be forewarned that if you replace out the .plist files, you may break the digital signature and your Maps and geolocation may stop working.

For those that don’t know, there’s a set of poorly documented features surrounding maps and location services:
1)  Buster will construct a proper D-STAR location slow-data string and send it out if you have location services enabled and it can get a location for you.  Your Mac, even though it doesn’t have GPS, may be able to get its location based on what WiFi access points it can hear in the area.
2)  Buster translates the latitude/longitude it receives from other stations into a City/State/Country if it can.  These are resolved by sending the coordinates to Apple’s geolocation servers via the MacOS provided API.
3)  If you double-click on a station that has location data associated with it, a popover map will appear where you can see exactly where those coordinates are.  This way when you see “Drain, Oregon, United States” in Buster you can get a map to figure out that Drain is in the middle of nowhere.

With regards to the plist issue, the longer term goal is to use Buster as an initial implementation of John’s ar-dns.net project and Buster will live-query the ar-dns.net servers to find reflectors.  I just have to find some time to code it.  I’m happy to accept pull requests from people that have appropriate contributions.

Jeremy McDermond