From: <UniversalDigitalRadio@...>
To: <UniversalDigitalRadio@...>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2012 9:19 AM
Subject: [UniversalDigitalRadio] Digest Number 24

There are 9 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

1a. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
From: Matthew Pitts
1b. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
From: qrv@...
1c. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
From: Matthew Pitts
1d. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
From: Howard Small
1e. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
From: qrv@...
1f. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
From: Matthew Pitts
1g. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
From: Matthew Pitts
1h. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
From: Tony Langdon, VK3JED
1i. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
From: Nate Bargmann

Messages
1a. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
Posted by: "Matthew Pitts" daywalker_blade_2004@... daywalker_blade_2004
Date: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:40 pm ((PDT))

Indeed; this is something that is highly needed with linked systems like D-Star, and to a lesser extent with Amateur use of DMR and NXDN.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Date: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:31 pm ((PDT))

As someone noted, D-Star is getting a bit long in the tooth
so it was inevitable that an alternative would appear - thus
Yaesu.

Icom has to decide to play-nicely or to try to block Yaesu,
and/or sabotage efforts to interconnect, and then Hamdom
will have to choose a path based on all of that.

Meanwhile, IPv6, APRS, and other technologies need to be
leveraged into an interoperable, redundant network that is
nearly impossible to break -- with Icom's cooperation or
around them as necessary.

Date: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:02 pm ((PDT))

Not really; most currently available digital voice systems aren't directly compatible, even within the same technology, so we have to find alternate ways to interconnect them as it is. I'm also hearing that some groups don't even want to allow connections from within their own technology if it's not from their preferred manufacturer, so it's not a matter of the manufacturers like Icom preventing such things. I'm actually talking to a guy that has an NXDN system about interlinking our different systems.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

________________________________

Posted by: "Howard Small" howard@... howardmsmall
Date: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:41 pm ((PDT))

I can’t agree with your reading of the situation. Yaesu has not offered an alternative – all they have offered is a radio: no infrastructure, nothing, just a radio that is pretty well incompatible with any of the other offerings amateurs are embracing.

On the D-Star side, it is no longer just Icom but many third party developers enhancing the system significantly and at the same time reducing the cost. The only thing that is long in the tooth is AMBE and it works so there is no reason to look for another codec.

All Icom has to do is keep developing user-friendly, cost effective hardware along the lines of the ID-31 and with the third party infrastructure development D-Star will continue to grow: just look at the number of ircDDB based repeaters that are on line today compared with a year ago!

Just my opinion but it is based on the rate of increasing acceptance of D-Star that I have observed…

Howard

VK4BS

Posted by: "qrv@..." qrv@... kd4e2001
Date: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:43 pm ((PDT))

We will have to map around the stubborn for the sake of the goal.

There's always another Ham (or Hams), another tower (or towers),
another way.

The absence of a robust, independent, redundant, and diverse wireless
network has represented a serious weakness in the larger system.

SEDAN tried to fill the gap with Packet, APRS covers a lot of ground,
and D-Star has a role but suffers multiple liabilities (not the least
of which are cost, complexity, and poor grassroots adoption).

IMHO, YMMV ...

Date: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:31 pm ((PDT))

Posted by: "Tony Langdon, VK3JED" vk3jed@... proton69au
Date: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:33 pm ((PDT))

At 02:15 PM 7/29/2012, you wrote:

I agree about the need for a wireless network, cost of pure digital
gear and hardware adoption; I disagree that complexity is how it has
to be. I don't have my local work in progress D-Star node
information programmed into my IC-91A and have the controller
program set so the information will be passed automatically; the
only things programmed for it are my callsign and the simplex node
frequency and it works just fine. I will be working on support for
the missing D-Star functionality (Analog Bridging) in both hardware
and software and put it to use locally, as well as linking via
AllStar Link and Echolink to analog and digital systems.
Well, I'm not sure what sort of wireless network you're talking
about, but down here, one can never forget distance. The telcos
actually do a pretty good job of providing coverage down here, given
the limitations of microwave propagation and population
density. That said, I'll be totally out of phone/Internet range for
a week next month. If the powers that be let me setup as a
demonstration/last ditch backup, then I will have email access via Winlink. :)

My view on infrastructure based networks in an emergency is
flexibility. We have to be able to take advantage of infrastructure
when it's available for reliability, and be able to operate
independently where infrastructure is not available (whether due to
never being available or breakdown). Furthermore, we have to be able
to know the state of infrastructure availability, so we can switch
between infrastructure and independent modes of operation, as
conditions dictate.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com

Messages in this topic (10)
1i. Re: Internet Fail & Cell Weakness = Need for Ham Network?
Posted by: "Nate Bargmann" n0nb@... n0nb
Date: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:15 am ((PDT))

* On 2012 28 Jul 22:41 -0500, Howard Small wrote:

On the D-Star side, it is no longer just Icom but many third party
developers enhancing the system significantly and at the same time
reducing the cost. The only thing that is long in the tooth is AMBE
and it works so there is no reason to look for another codec.
Except for the fact that it is patent encumbered and that is a stumbling
block for those of us who want an amateur radio community controlled,
from microphone to speaker, digital voice "standard", ala AX.25.

All Icom has to do is keep developing user-friendly, cost effective
hardware along the lines of the ID-31 and with the third party
infrastructure development D-Star will continue to grow: just look at
the number of ircDDB based repeaters that are on line today compared
with a year ago!
That may well be. I am leary of any solution that relies on a single
source supplier for any sort of amateur radio provided emergency
response. At the moment D-Star has two strikes against it, IMO, a
single source for gear, Icom, and the codec, AMBE. That said, people
are at liberty to purchase what they want, it's the expectation on the
part of those that do so that the rest of the community should conform
with them is what I have a problem with.

Just my opinion but it is based on the rate of increasing acceptance
of D-Star that I have observed…
Lemmings are never wrong. ;-)

73, de Nate >>

Messages in this topic (10)

John Hays <john@...>

George

The thinking is HSMM-MESH is a powerful tool in high density scenarios and should be part of the ecosystem.

There is also a need for higher power, mobile and point to point links. The UDR56K will be a work horse for these applications. A self healing, dynamic, mesh protocol would provide the flexibility needed to accomplish those goals.

206-801-0820
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 29, 2012, at 9:15, "George Jones" <hamfiles@...> wrote:

The one thing that is common to all of these technolegies is eithernet and
TCP/IP. Currently the Internet is the method of transport where we as hams
become dependant on the commercial common carriers and there failures. We
need to take a closer look at wireless Mesh Node Networks.

A number of hams around the US are modifying 2.4 and 5.8 GHz WiFi routers to
be used at data bridges. The software being developed has features for
re-routing a path should a particular node becomes unavailable. D-STAR and
other DMR systems all use eithernet to get to the Internet. All of these
systems can just as easily be transported over a wireless MESH NODE network.
What we need is bandwidth with less interference. We are currently blessed
with a number of microwave bands that go under used. We need to develop ham
WiFi networks that operate at 3.4 GHz and some of our other bands. For long
haul paths the new NW Digital radio presents some possibilities at 70 cm.

George W4AQR
w4aqr@...

-----

k4rjj@...

HSMM-MESH just plain works.  If more people would try it out it might be much bigger.

Ronny

K4RJJ

[...]

I need to look at the "wireless MESH NODE network".

I did just read that IPv6 can greatly expand the data capacity of a packet.

What, please is the "new NW Digital radio"?

[...]

The UDR56K-4 has an anticipated release in the 4th Quarter of this year,
with a target MSRP of $395.

Does that mean Retail Price: $350.? (Ouch!)

One Ethernet jack,
Four host USB ports,
Power, and Antenna connections.

All radio functions are controlled by software, using either a web browser interface or custom application.

Integrated Radio Messaging System (RMS) and D-STARi gateway and controller software.

Common Linux applications are easily installed using package management tools or may be compiled for the radio.

Some applications of interest to the amateur radio community have already been tested, such as AX.25 networking, gpsd, Xwindows, bluetooth integration, wireless 3G/4G broadband, USB sound, and others.

In talks with noted software developers to provide additional digital radio protocols and applications on the UDR56K platform.

w4aqr@... <mailto:w4aqr%40tampabay.rr.com>

-----

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
David Colburn nevils-station.com
I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com

"qrv@..." <qrv@...>

Just visited here: <http://www.hsmm-mesh.org>

I am impressed!

I have owned a WRT-54G in the past and it was a robust
device.

I have a WRT-300L here, I took it offline due to an
intermittent, it's not listed but I wonder if it might
work (not that the WRT-54G's are very expensive).

I didn't see anything re. inexpensive external amplifiers
or recommended mobile antennas; very little discussion
re. mobile at all via search, are mobile ops not a high
priority yet?

Based on my mobile travel plans the loop might take me
near as many as 11 HSMM-MESH nodes later this year.