Topics

DRAWS

Mike - KB0FX

I was at the DCC and I am very excited about the new DRAWS Pi-Hat. I am hoping it will be available very soon??

Hi Mike,

I’ll be posting the Early Adopters Price later today!

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 20, 2018, at 4:43 AM, Mike - KB0FX <mweilb@...> wrote:

I was at the DCC and I am very excited about the new DRAWS Pi-Hat. I am hoping it will be available very soon??

Mike Moore

Mike, I have seen mention of DRAWS but haven't seen what it is.  I am a thumbdv user and play with DSTAR and DMR.  Do I want to jump on this bandwagon?

73, KC2NM
Mike Moore
mikemoore@...
Cell, Text (585) 721-0011

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 10:15 AM Mike - KB0FX <mweilb@...> wrote:
I was at the DCC and I am very excited about the new DRAWS Pi-Hat. I am hoping it will be available very soon??

Of course, we will publish the Product Brief at the same time.

On Sep 20, 2018, at 8:21 AM, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

It'd be nice to know what it is before I jump to buy it. I'm not Nancy Pelosi, to pass it to know what's in it, after all.

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

Robert Sears

Shut up and take my money!

Robert/KF7VOP

On 9/20/2018 09:14 AM, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
[...]

How about posting the presentation from Summer Gathering or TAPR? I attended SG but was unable to see the DRAWS session due to other business. The product description on the website doesn't say much.

Bob AF9W

Gayland Gump

Pushy? 😇

Gayland
KG7GCF

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 8:10 PM, Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

[...]

Gwen Patton

I just read the Product Brief. What rigs use those 6-pin mini-DIN connectors? I'm thinking Yaesu FT-817 and newer? How about connecting it to an Elecraft KX3/PX3 system? Is it compatible?

Hi Gwen,

This is a common interface across the big 3 amateur radio manufacturers that support a 'packet radio' accessory jack.  It should be plug compatible with many radios including the FT-8x7 and FT-818.  For radios without this connector, this is a classic '4-wire' interface; PTT, DISC or AFOUT, AFIN, and SQL (plus GND).  One would simply cut the 6 Pin Mini DIN cable in half and attach to the radio/connector of choice.

We will be building a database of radios along with level settings for setup.

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 1:53 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
I just read the Product Brief. What rigs use those 6-pin mini-DIN connectors? I'm thinking Yaesu FT-817 and newer? How about connecting it to an Elecraft KX3/PX3 system? Is it compatible?

Director

JeffH

What sort of applications do you forsee people using DRAWS with?

I just read the Product Brief. What rigs use those 6-pin mini-DIN connectors? I'm thinking Yaesu FT-817 and newer? How about connecting it to an Elecraft KX3/PX3 system? Is it compatible?
Here's the start of a list of radios. Even after all these years -
the radio is still the big problem for ham data...

https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet

Having seen early slides at the NWAPRS SG presentation I will assume
9600 packet data is a design requirment.

73
Bill, WA7NWP

Chris - KC9AD

I just discovered recently (Thank you Peter) that my IC-7000 has a compatible 6-pin mini-DIN connector. I tested it with FSQ-6 using my existing UDRC-II and it worked. Next to be tested is 9600 Packet Winlink using Dire Wolf.

I just read the Product Brief. What rigs use those 6-pin mini-DIN connectors? I'm thinking Yaesu FT-817 and newer? How about connecting it to an Elecraft KX3/PX3 system? Is it compatible?
Here's the start of a list of radios. Even after all these years -
the radio is still the big problem for ham data...

https://groups.io/g/nwaprs/wiki/Radios-for-Packet

Having seen early slides at the NWAPRS SG presentation I will assume
9600 packet data is a design requirment.

73
Bill, WA7NWP

Chris - KC9AD

Jeff,

Assuming that the DRAWS will operate similarly to the existing RPi/UDRC-II kit:

I know that there are many RPi/UDRC users who are using it for APRS running XASTIR. Personally, my primary interests are twofold:

1-     Running Fldigi in FSQ-6 mode and/or MT63 mode for local simplex digital comms.

2-     Running DireWolf to make the DRAWS into a network-attached TNC so that I can run RMS Express on my network-attached Windows PC.

73

Chris KC9AD

In addition to FSQ I plan to add in FT8Call as an option for my portable station.

73, tom w7sua

On 9/22/2018 9:52 AM, Chris - KC9AD wrote:
Jeff,
Assuming that the DRAWS will operate similarly to the existing RPi/UDRC-II kit:
I know that there are many RPi/UDRC users who are using it for APRS running XASTIR. Personally, my primary interests are twofold:
1- Running Fldigi in FSQ-6 mode and/or MT63 mode for local simplex digital comms.
2- Running DireWolf to make the DRAWS into a network-attached TNC so that I can run RMS Express on my network-attached Windows PC.
73
Chris KC9AD

kc7pmu

Edited

In light of the article in QST, Oct 2018, "The WSJT-X Appliance" ( page 44) that states the Raspberry Pi does not have sufficient performance to run the FT8 and FT8Call protocols, have you test results on prototypes that would contradict this article?

I haven't read the QST article yet -- however, I have successfully run WSJT-X using the CODEC on the DRAWS board on Raspberry Pi 3

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 11:26 AM <kc7pmu@...> wrote:
In light of the article in QST, Oct 2918, "The WSJT-X Appliance" ( page 44) that states the Raspberry Pi does not have sufficient performance to run the FT8 and FT8Call protocols, have you test results on prototypes that would contradict this article?

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Frankly, that is one person's experience/opinion.  As I stated earlier, my experience with WSJT-X on the Raspberry Pi, with the CODEC used in the DRAWS, is that FT-8 runs fine.   This also seems to be the experience of those in this thread. https://groups.io/g/ft8call/topic/26219896#533

Two points --

"What technical support is provided for DRAWS?

NW Digital Radio supports the DRAWS HAT hardware and its driver software.  All other applications are provided on an ‘as is’ basis, with support for configuration and operation of those applications provided by the authors and user community for those applications.  NW Digital Radio’s DRAWS HAT driver and configuration is Open Source Software and is free for amateur radio use."

  • Secondly, NW Digital Radio has a generous Warranty

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 10:21 AM <kc7pmu@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

In light of the article in QST, Oct 2018, "The WSJT-X Appliance" ( page 44) that states the Raspberry Pi does not have sufficient performance to run the FT8 and FT8Call protocols, have you test results on prototypes that would contradict this article?

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

NW Digital Radio has both a 1 year warranty and a 30 day money-back guarantee on all of it’s products.

Bryan K7UDR

WW3N <squeeze.box@...>

Gwen,
Did you ever get a functional description document, youtube, powerpoint, smoke signals  on Draws from anyone?   Oct QST or the schematic posted to groups.io  doesn’t do it for me.. Maybe there is a West Coast secret club keeping the East Coast folks in the dark.. Sorry in advance for being so thick….

Dan ww3n

Nothing is being 'hidden', this is a new product. What exists is available.