Topics

locked DRAWS + FT-891 + WSJT-X/FT8

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Trying to get WSJT-X working for the next video. Details First, Questions at the end.

Radio: Yaesu FT-891
CAT control works over USB
Radio connected via LEFT Audio port (closest to GPS port)
RIGHT Audio port disabled via DRAWS Manager
I’ve ran `sudo bin/setalsa-ft817.sh`

Audio Input of `sysdefault:CARD=udrc/Mono` works fine and I’m decoding signals

I am unable to find an audio output setting that does anything.  Valid choices are:

default
sysdefault:card=alsa
sysdefault:card=udrc
hw:card=alsa,dev=0
plughw:card=alsa,dev=0
plughw:card=alsa,dev=1
plughw:card=udrc,dev=0

This radio works fine with a separate signalink and linux PC.

The FT-891 manuals do not specify what the “Peak to Peak Input Voltage” is, so I can not complete the calculations.

It appears that when the software triggers the PTT, that ambient shack noise is being transmitted instead of the audio/data stream from the DRAWS. (I can't whistle FT8 yet, but I'm getting close)

I have not pulled out pin 6 yet, the prev thread with Julian didn’t conclude if that was necessary or not.

Questions:
  1. What is the Peak to Peak Input Voltage of the FT-891
  2. What is the proper sound output device
  3. Any suggestions for what might be missing or what to try next?
73s,
Steve, KM9G

john.chabalko@...

I have the same rig and have had it working great (until tonight when i ran a dist-upgrade ;) )

There's an FT-891 menu setup that you need to configure that i think will fix your transmit audio problem.
Menu 08-09: Data In Select: REAR

That should use the rear data port for audio, yours is probably set to "mic" which is the default i think.

Since mine isn't working at the moment because i'm rebuilding it i'm using my notes - but the audio devices i was using were:
Input: plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0 (mono)
Output: plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0 (mono)

I'm using the same port you are (next to the GPS port).

I don't know the peak to peak voltage but i'd been running mine with the program defaults and it was working fine, i hadn't been able to spend much time yet fine tuning it.

Julian OH8STN <julian@...>

Hi Steve.
Just to be clear, I have never gotten the Yaesu ft-891 to work well with the DRAWS hat. It works, but not without lots of noise. So weak signal digital work on HF isn't possible at the moment. I'm sure it's just the levels, but the perfect configuration has been on a unobtainable. Like you I have a working system with both the zlp miniproSC and Wolphilink.

Pulling Pin 6 is necessary.
Johns comment about the menu setting would make sense if you didn't already have the signalink working. If you have the rear Port selected already, you may be experiencing the same noise as I have on the DRAWS hat, with the ft-891. I'm very suspicious of Johns comment regarding the ft-891 working "well" with the DRAWS hat. Like I said "it works", but its not nearly as quiet, or as simple to get the levels right as the Signalink, Zlp miniproSC or wolphilink with a usb soundcard.

I'm sorry I never finished that thread with the ft-891. I was so frustrated, I needed to put everything down, let the documentation and beta images mature, then come back to it. I'm hoping beta 10 will be the one. Other than those very finicky levels, everything else works really well. The GPS, external power, the software packages, ...

73
Julian oh8stn

Julian OH8STN
www.oh8stn.org
www.youtube.com/c/OH8STN

On 11 Apr 2019 01:15, Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
[...]

I'll have to dig around on this. To add some context to my comment - i've got a huge amount of interference around my home so just getting anything workable is a near miracle for me. I need to understand the signal processing options of the DRAWs better but just using FT8 and i was doing the same with WSPR, i'm getting what i consider to be successful transmission (but my bar is low, no doubt ;) )

For the OP, the other thing you could check is that you're in the right mode. I forgot to put my radio in "data" mode at one point and when it transmitted it opened the mic causing feedback. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on. I have SSB set to use the mic, and data set to use the rear connector (in the menus)

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

So that is really interesting.

On my working setup I made a few contacts on 40m last night.  This setup uses the radio in USB mode, not Data/Pkt.

When I switch DRAWS to Data/Pkt I am able to transmit and my signals are heard, but I no longer can decode any signals.

So I can have one, but not the other.

Still stumped, but maybe that is some progress in there?

Purple is from 40m on the working setup from last night, Yellow is from today on the DRAWS on 20m.  No receive on DRAWS

image.png

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM <john.chabalko@...> wrote:
I'll have to dig around on this. To add some context to my comment - i've got a huge amount of interference around my home so just getting anything workable is a near miracle for me. I need to understand the signal processing options of the DRAWs better but just using FT8 and i was doing the same with WSPR, i'm getting what i consider to be successful transmission (but my bar is low, no doubt ;) )

For the OP, the other thing you could check is that you're in the right mode. I forgot to put my radio in "data" mode at one point and when it transmitted it opened the mic causing feedback. Took me a minute to figure out what was going on. I have SSB set to use the mic, and data set to use the rear connector (in the menus)

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Alright, making progress left and right today.

Turns out my input audio levels are too low.  I get to decode some signals, but not all of what is out there.  I'm currently getting about 2 or 3 signals per cycle.

I followed the steps in Brian's video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxWiDYMcRn4) where he uses alsamixer to set levels.  LO is at -6.0 and PCM is at -11 and that is where my ALC starts to move.

The signals coming in are not great and my waterfall looks like its been truncated:

image.png

I called Yaesu tech support and they actually didn't have a reference for this input (-1 for Yaesu!).  But they told me no more than .5 volt and the recommended setting is 100mV

Using Brian's spreadsheet I get

for .5 volts I get -3
for .1 volts I get -17

Neither of them improve the results or the waterfall.

For reference when I have the rig set to "USB" this is what the waterfall looks like and I get lots of signals in:

image.png

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 9:28 AM Temporarily Offline <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
[...]

Jack Spitznagel

Steve,

Looks like you have a very narrow filter width defined in the radio? Can you open that up?

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

[...]

Yes that definitely looks like a narrow filter on the 'data' setting.

The calculation (which is also built into DRAWS™ Manager - http://localhost:8080https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5C3cWVVz_A ) is for the transmitter side of things and has nothing to do with your received audio.

In DRAWS™ Manager -- use the Input from Receiver "Analog Gain" control.  Actually this is usually very tolerant, and since you get lots of signals on USB, it is probably fine -- again, this looks like a filter problem.

Screen Shot 2019-04-12 at 10.59.06 AM.png

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 10:36 AM Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
[...]

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

john.chabalko@...

I was looking at the menus last night and it was getting too late for me to spend much time on it.

That's great info you got form Yaesu, i was thinking of doing the same today. Maybe you get to figure out the right filter settings for the rest of us now too

73
;)

john.chabalko@...

I ca post all the relevant menu configuration i'm using later tonight (PDT). I haven't modified much from the defaults, possibly which sideband to use (USB) in data mode,

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Here are my signal reports for today.  Pretty good overall I'd say:

image.png

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 2:53 PM <john.chabalko@...> wrote:
I ca post all the relevant menu configuration i'm using later tonight (PDT). I haven't modified much from the defaults, possibly which sideband to use (USB) in data mode,

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Got you in the logs Jack!  -15 both ways.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 3:09 PM Temporarily Offline <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
Here are my signal reports for today.  Pretty good overall I'd say:

image.png

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 2:53 PM <john.chabalko@...> wrote:
I ca post all the relevant menu configuration i'm using later tonight (PDT). I haven't modified much from the defaults, possibly which sideband to use (USB) in data mode,

Jack Spitznagel

Yep… good contact and you went “automagically” into my HRD logbook here.  Not too shabby. There was a lot of nearby traffic so I was afraid it wouldn’t go through. Enjoy the DRAWS hat… I have two here, one of the initial early experience release units and one I received about a week ago. The older one is in dedicated Xastir service as my digi/gateway (kd4iz-3), so the new one is going to be used for all my portable unit experimentation. My side of contact was made with the IC-7300 @80W and a GAP Titan vertical dipole. Terminal was my Windoze workstation… this time – no DRAWS (sigh).

73

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

Got you in the logs Jack!  -15 both ways.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 3:09 PM Temporarily Offline <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:

Here are my signal reports for today.  Pretty good overall I'd say:

image.png

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 2:53 PM <john.chabalko@...> wrote:

I ca post all the relevant menu configuration i'm using later tonight (PDT). I haven't modified much from the defaults, possibly which sideband to use (USB) in data mode,

John PA3DTF

After 2 weeks trying to get my 891 working with Draws i am very confused!
I did all recommended  settings in the 891 menu .
No receive no  transmit !!! no PTT.
I am using a ft-891 with same setiings as John Chabalko
The FT-891 is working well with my small signalink!
I have FLdigi and wsjt-x
Help!!
regards
John PA3DTF

I am in the same boat as John.. Started with a fresh 32GB ultra plus micro card. installed current_beta.zip 2019-april-17. Followed the instructions as per the "NW-digital.radio.group.IO, wiki - getting started.. I have no receive or xmt with my 817. What is the secret for schuss??
Alex WB1GNL

If you haven't read this whole thread and watched the DRAWS™ Manager video, please do, there is a lot of good information available.

Be sure to check out my video on how I got all this to work:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lxvVD1-0lk

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 11:16 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
If you haven't read this whole thread and watched the DRAWS™ Manager video, please do, there is a lot of good information available.

On Sat, May 4, 2019, 08:57 Alexander <alexgish3rd@...> wrote:
I am in the same boat as John.. Started with a fresh 32GB ultra plus micro card. installed current_beta.zip 2019-april-17. Followed the instructions as per the "NW-digital.radio.group.IO, wiki - getting started.. I have no receive or xmt with my 817. What is the secret for schuss??
Alex WB1GNL

I have plus others on YouTube. I thought yours were very helpful.

On Sat, May 4, 2019, 1:23 PM Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> wrote:
Be sure to check out my video on how I got all this to work:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lxvVD1-0lk

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 11:16 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
If you haven't read this whole thread and watched the DRAWS™ Manager video, please do, there is a lot of good information available.

On Sat, May 4, 2019, 08:57 Alexander <alexgish3rd@...> wrote:
I am in the same boat as John.. Started with a fresh 32GB ultra plus micro card. installed current_beta.zip 2019-april-17. Followed the instructions as per the "NW-digital.radio.group.IO, wiki - getting started.. I have no receive or xmt with my 817. What is the secret for schuss??
Alex WB1GNL

Don Poaps

--
Don Poaps