From: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of WA7SKG via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, December 8, 2018 09:13
To: main@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [nw-digital-radio] DRAWS Questions

Sorry, I've been kind of slow keeping up with the DRAWS thing. From a quick scan, I see that it interfaces with two radios, has built in GPS and can do digital with any Linux software that will run on a RaspberryPi. So, I am guessing that includes fldigi for MT63/PSK31/etc.
and Xastir for APRS and, hopefully something for SSTV.

My plan is to use this mobile on my RPi 3 B+ which is on a standard Pi Touch 7" touch screen. Right now, I have a TNC-Pi connected and a Y-cable that powers the RPi and the touchscreen. The RPi powers the TNC-Pi through the header. It looks like the DRAWS has a 12V input that powers the RPi. Will this also power the touchscreen? How precise must the 12V input be? Can it handle the variations of vehicle voltage, which could swing from 10-14 volts?

My mobile radios are an Icom IC-7100 and a Yaesu FT-8900. It looks like I should simply be able to plug generic 6-pin DIN cables between the DRAWS and the data ports on the radios.

Looking on the NW Digital web page, it looks like they are taking orders for the next run of DRAWS. I'd like to get a warm fuzzy my plans are viable so I can go ahead and place an order.

tnx es 73,
Michael WA7SKG

WA7SKG

Jack,
How does the DRAWS work with the SmartiPi case? I saw some comments that there may be issues with the cables interfering with the stand. Not really a problem since I do not use the stand, I have mine on a VESA mount for mobile use. The DIN connectors should be okay, but the other connectors may be an issue. The pictures show two connectors on the left side. I guess one is for power, but I don't know what the other one is for.

I guess I'll need to run the RPi/DRAWS from the 12V lines and the touch screen from the 5V supply.

I do need to see the NWD response however on the 12V variations before I spend money on it.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Jack Spitznagel wrote on 12/9/18 06:47:

Michael,
I will be interested to hear the NWD response to your question about fluctuations in power/mobile usage. The 12V line will not feed the display, you will need a separate 5V supply.
Experimenting now with a DRAWS, RPi 3B+, plus Raspberry 7" touch display mounted in a "SmartiPi Touch" display stand. This is all powered through the 5V "Y" microUSB adapter. I am using the stock 2.5A wall wart that Pi foundation supplies in their kits (probably groaning under load). I plan to change over to a higher capacity USB multiline charger when I find what I want. YMMV but this works for me.
KD4IZ
Jack Spitznagel
FM19oo

Please follow this topic on the UDRC subgroup -- https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/2148