Topics

dstar-gw

Ken Jamrogowicz

Following the instructions provided at:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/Configuring-ircDDBgateway
I now have a gateway working with my ICOM repeater.  By working I mean I have tested connection to an REF reflector.
The gateway is registered with ircDDB as W4BRM and the 2 meter repeater operates under callsign N4USI.
However when I key up one of my radios I see a message:
USER: KE2N     NOT FOUND
in the log. And I do not show up in the last heard listings.
This message comes out whether the gateway is linked or not.
Does anyone know what causes this? - watching the log I see a few other stations having the same issue.

There is a support group for ircddbgateway on Yahoo! groups.

I have seen this, but it usually is benign and will eventually clear up, though I am puzzled by your comments of the gateway having one callsign and the repeater another?

Typically you would run the repeater as N4USI  C and the gateway as N4USI  G  -- what you put in for the DPLUS login could be different (any US Trust registered USER callsign).  The ircddb admins have to make special arrangements if the gateway and repeater use different callsigns.

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 9:01 AM, Ken Jamrogowicz via Groups.Io <ke2n@...> wrote:
Following the instructions provided at:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/Configuring-ircDDBgateway
I now have a gateway working with my ICOM repeater.  By working I mean I have tested connection to an REF reflector.
The gateway is registered with ircDDB as W4BRM and the 2 meter repeater operates under callsign N4USI.
However when I key up one of my radios I see a message:
USER: KE2N     NOT FOUND
in the log. And I do not show up in the last heard listings.
This message comes out whether the gateway is linked or not.
Does anyone know what causes this? - watching the log I see a few other stations having the same issue.

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Ken Jamrogowicz

This is a replacement for a "freestar*" install that used a version of g2_ircDDB which allowed the "Owner" of the gateway (the call registered with ircDDB) to be different than the call sign of the repeater.  I think this feature was mainly aimed at hot spots, but it allowed us to share a gateway between two repeaters that had different call signs.  N4USI appeared as W4BRM-C from the Internet side (for example on the ircDDB "heard' list).  On the air, users entered N4USI-C and N4USI-G to access the gateway as you indicate. They don't "know" that they are using W4BRM-C unless they looked online.

I tested changing the call sign of the repeater to W4BRM and now I do show up in the last heard list - so I guess this gateway does not allow the different repeater/gateway call signs to be used (like my old one).

The problem here is that N4USI is registered as a US Trust call sign, so I cannot register it as an ircDDB gateway call sign.  Yet I would like to use it on the air as before.   To use W4BRM-C I would have to make changes with the local repeater coordinating council and all repeater directory sources (etc).

Do you suppose I can just drop an email to the ircDDB folks?

Are you currently running a G2/G3 gateway using the N4USI callsign?

Are you running 2 different repeaters with different callsigns on the gateway?

Yes, the ircddb admins can make changes to support the non-standard configuration.

Changing callsigns with your coordinator and eventually propagating that out should not be that big of a deal.  Personally, I would register N4USI on ircddb.net and run both the gateway and repeater on that callsign -- unless there is more than what displays here.  I have a gateway that used to be registered as a US Trust gateway, then both US Trust and ircddb, then I just let the US Trust know that it was no longer operating US Trust (really G4ULF) gateway software and simply listed the callsign (and module IDs) as a user callsign on the US Trust.  As far as know, it didn't even temporarily break anything.