Topics

DV3000 questions

Gary Smith <wa6fgi@...>

Two answers:

First question: yes

Second query: don't know.

Like to add in, "why" ?

I do understand all of us would like to have a dv/analog radio that does everything (also, cheap), it's a little bit like shoes tho.  One size will probably fit everyone poorly.

Gary...wa6fgi

On 8/6/2015 3:54 PM, demiansims@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] wrote:

I'm rather new to all of this and Dstar. I don't own a dstar radio but might get one. Does the DV3000 act as a mini repeater so that I can have my own Hotspot at home and use an HT around the house to access it?

Also, the NWD site says something about Fusion access. Will this dongle work with System Fusion?

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

A little clarification here.  The DV3000 and/or ThumbDV only convert audio to AMBE+ (used by D-STAR) or AMBE+2 (used by Fusion, DMR, etc.).  It does nothing with RF, Protocols, etc.  So no, it does not create a 'mini-repeater' or hotspot, etc.

It can be used by a software application to create a useful tool.  One of those is an analog to D-STAR bridge.  See http://nwdigitalradio.com/dv3000-analog-to-d-star-bridge

It can also be used with DummyRepeater or WinDV to connect your computer's speaker and microphone to the D-STAR network.

NW Digital Radio is working on a Radio which can provide a high power access point/transceiver, in the meantime, for low power applications (e.g. in the shack) look at something like the DVMega.

I suggest viewing http://nwdigitalradio.com/john-speaks-on-dv-modes-at-microhams-2015 to get a better idea how this all works together.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Gary Smith wa6fgi@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Two answers:

First question: yes

Second query: don't know.

Like to add in, "why" ?

I do understand all of us would like to have a dv/analog radio that does everything (also, cheap), it's a little bit like shoes tho.  One size will probably fit everyone poorly.

Gary...wa6fgi

On 8/6/2015 3:54 PM, demiansims@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] wrote:

I'm rather new to all of this and Dstar. I don't own a dstar radio but might get one. Does the DV3000 act as a mini repeater so that I can have my own Hotspot at home and use an HT around the house to access it?

Also, the NWD site says something about Fusion access. Will this dongle work with System Fusion?

kc9gqr@...

will your dongle work with the  software that allows you to do c4fm that is offered over sea's?

Bradley

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

Thus is a question for the author of the software.  There is nothing about the DV3000 to prevent it.

I am not familiar with the software to which you are referring.

On Aug 17, 2015 7:28 AM, "kc9gqr@... [UniversalDigitalRadio]" <UniversalDigitalRadio@...m> wrote:

will your dongle work with the  software that allows you to do c4fm that is offered over sea's?

Bradley

Bernd - OE7BSH <oe7bsh@...>

Hi,

maybe "over sea's software" refers to the dv4mini-package.

The dv4mini is a 70cm hotspot without an AMBE chip, it only "forwards" the signal.

73 de Bernd, OE7BSH
--
==================================
oe7bsh@... // http://www.qth.at/oe7bsh

On Aug 17, 2015 7:28 AM, "kc9gqr@... [UniversalDigitalRadio]" <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

will your dongle work with the  software that allows you to do c4fm that is offered over sea's?

Bradley

kc9gqr@...

[Moderator's Note: This group is for community support of products from NW Digital Radio and applications that run with those products.  Products falling outside of these 2 categories are generally off-topic for this group.  The following would not normally be a part of this group, however, it is closing the loop on a question. Follow-up should move to an appropriate group.]

The software that runs  this   I downloaded the software just to take a look at what it would be like.. Looks very good.   C4fm video was on the fusion group showing it being done
DV4mini USB Stick for D-Star and DMR

[Truncated]

kc9gqr@...

I am not sure how  it would be off topic  when asking if a product that  you designed would work on this software?

Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahu.stuff@...>

Since a hardware vendor can't possibly know about every software package that will work with the hardware, you contact the software vendor about their software.  It's the same for operating systems;  the OS maker (eg, for Windows or Linux) can't possibly know about every software package that will work with the OS.

It's very routine for such questions to be considered off-topic on such forums.  "UniversalDigitalRadio" is more forgiving than most.

Eg, questions about HRD are rebuffed on the Icom IC-7000 and IC-7100 forums.  I can give you a name of a popular ham radio forum where such threads are instantly deleted, with threats of banning the offending member.

You may not like it, but it's standard practice.

On 2015-08-18 18:36, kc9gqr@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] wrote:
I am not sure how  it would be off topic  when asking if a product that  you designed would work on this software?

kb9mwr@...

Personally I think they should be working together.  Seems the only one who profits is the hardware vendor, while the software coder gets nothing?

I keep reading about a modified version of DSD, etc and can't help but think the reason these aren't publicly released is because the coders know it will help sell a product and what do they get out of the deal?

If nothing else I think someone like TAPR should bestowing awards on some of the kinds folks who have spent countless hours coding just for the good of the hobby.

Just my thoughts

---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., <yahu.stuff@...> wrote :

Since a hardware vendor can't possibly know about every software package that will work with the hardware, you contact the software vendor about their software. <snip>

Robert Copelan <rcopelan@...>

The beauty of the software situation is that there are multiple software solutions.  Some open source and at lease one totally closed source.  Each have their special functions that make them unique.   Both the software developers and hardware developers are free to innovate their solutions independently.  The result is that every couple of months we see something new!
Robert

---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., wrote :

Since a hardware vendor can't possibly know about every software package that will work with the hardware, you contact the software vendor about their software.

kb9mwr@...

Face the facts, ham radio is niche market.  And DV is an even smaller sliver of that.  Ham coders with that experience is even less.

As for a hardware vendor not knowing about every software package that will work with the hardware, that analogy might hold true in the mainstream market, where there lots of users.  Like a Window OS and independent software applications.

Yes everyone can innovate independently, but I think in such a limited market area it would be more logical if they worked together.  Poll the resources so to speak.

The only publicly available Linux software that I know of for the NW DV products is from Jonathan Naylor.  I think Fred, PA4YBR has a Windows application that he sells.

Ham radio has made a pretty good argument for open source stuff.  It's our very nature.  Short of a open source coder writing something to bolster his resume, I'd like to think the hardware vendor should at least consider donating their hardware to competent coders to encourage development.  Maybe this happens.

If I wanted to sell my product, I'd want to keep tabs on what software has been developed to work with my hardware as it will help sell my product, and know what to refer customers to.

Short of a hardware guys cutting a deal with the software developers then other options to encourage software development might be:

-A kickstarter project.  X number of potential users pledge $$
-A group backed project.  TAPR or the ARRL makes a pledge

And at the very least like I said before, recognition via awards from some like the ARRL or TAPR can go a long way to keep that limited pool of coders from feeling unrecognized/burned out.

I think with a more organized approach in ham radio we can be making better progress.

Again just my thoughts.

beaupeppybrandypip@...

KB9MWR :)

What/Where is our the motivation to hand over our source code when we get nothing nothing in return from the money makers ?

Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...>

What/Where is our the motivation to hand over our source code when we get nothing nothing in return from the money makers ?

Anybody who has to ask that question would be getting paid just what
their software is worth... I doubt anybody writing software - free or
paid and supported - would ask that.

Bill

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

I don't know about others, but I write free open source software for the betterment of the community and to test out ideas.  I just released a simple, real time, self configuring dashboard for ircDDBGateway (it can be downloaded from the files section of that group  -- https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ircDDBGateway/conversations/messages/11867) -- the license for it allows anyone to use it for any purpose with no warranty.  It comes from many days of work and testing, as well as 40+ years of programming and systems experience -- I don't expect a dime from it, but that is my choice.

Some people choose to do closed software. Some choose to do open software.  Some choose to do software for their own use.  All of those are the choice of the developer and they are welcome to make those choices.

Many of us benefit from open software,  most of the Internet runs on open software, e.g. Apache and Linux and yes people make money using that software.  The authors sometimes provide the free open source software for the recognition (which can lead to a paying jobs) or simply to provide an altruistic or educational purpose.

If one does not want their software used by others, then license it using a commercial license, whether open or closed source.

beaupeppybrandypip@...

Good answer John.

I've done some software over the past 2 days for fusion coding/decoding, raw C4FM <> raw audio samples. IT's currently in pure software form, but it's in need of an AMBE+2 chip now. It's been a choice between buying 12 chips from DVSI and doing a basic PCB for them, or using a ThumbDV .. have decided to use a ThumbDV.

Been debating whether to release it as open source or not. Have decided to release it for the benefit of the ham community, especially since Yaesu have been good enough to release the detailed specifications of their C4FM usage.

Just trying to get the permission of a couple of people who's useful routines I've used in the process. Got the go ahead from Phil Karn so no problem there !

beaupeppybrandypip@...

ooowa, I found someones voice that the AMBE codec doesn't work properly with. What a problem that would be for said person if they tried to use a system that uses the AMBE codec.

Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...>

I’d love a sample to send to DVSI

Bryan

beaupeppybrandypip@...

Hi Bryan

I'll upload the WAV to your file section then Bryan.

The 1st half of the WAV file is normal unprocessed audio, a guy then a gal.
The 2nd half of the WAV file is the same two people but after being encoded then decoded by AMBE chip.

The womans voice is fine, but the guys voice gets somewhat changed in the process. Appears to happen with just about any AMBE+2 rate setting. Not tried the AMBE-2000 or AMBE-1000 rates though, only tried the AMBE-3000 rates.

Cath

Bob Havenga <flightresq@...>

Will this work with a scanner discriminator tap?

I'll upload the WAV to your file section then Bryan.

The 1st half of the WAV file is normal unprocessed audio, a guy then a gal.
The 2nd half of the WAV file is the same two people but after being encoded then decoded by AMBE chip.

The womans voice is fine, but the guys voice gets somewhat changed in the process. Appears to happen with just about any AMBE+2 rate setting. Not tried the AMBE-2000 or AMBE-1000 rates though, only tried the AMBE-3000 rates.

Cath

myyahoo@...

The output of a discriminator tap is analog. The DV3000 has a digital interface - you would need to - at least - do an analog to digital version (and probably more processing) to connect the two together.

- Richard VE7CVS