Topics

Feature Creep

Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...>

Transmit testing is well underway and I have begun the board spin to prototype II, in parallel with receiver characterization.

In the process I have added a small housekeeping processor to the radio card, because a PIC with A/D and PWM was cheaper than using discrete ICs.

We have planned the following capabilities but I'm open to other functions provided they meet cost goals.

Please be specific as to what function you would like to see rather than just asking for a bunch of inputs/outputs.
Telemetry applications can be met with USB I/O so let's focus on core radio functionality.

You have Santa's ear,
Bryan

Planned Functionality:

ADC
Forward RF PWR
Reflected RF PWR
PS Voltage
PA Temp

PWM
PA Gate Voltage

Digital IO
12V Fan Output
TX inhibit Input Open Collector
Synthesizer Lock Input
Red/Green TX/RX LED

Serial Interface to Main CPU Set Monitor All Values

EEPROM for Calibration Values

SW Control Functions:

PA Temp
* Fan on at PA>60C
* PA rollback at PA>80C

TX inhibit
* This will allow colocation of the UDR at a site with a 440 Voice Repeater

TX Faults RED Blinking LED
* Hi Reflected Power
* Loss of Lock

PS Low Voltage

Phillip Frost <indigo@...>

Phase coherence with attached units would be pretty awesome. Use case: software-defined goniometer.

Peter mcCorison <peter@...>

For finite delivery time, features must creep slower than development.

- Peter, K2SPR

Tom Hayward <esarfl@...>

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
TX inhibit
* This will allow colocation of the UDR at a site with a 440 Voice Repeater
I see the TX inhibit input, but not the TX active output. Say I put
two of these at a site. How do I keep them from TXing at the same
time?

You use the colocated voice repeater example... maybe I want to
disable my repeater while the data radio is transmitting, not the
other way around :-)

What really excites me about a data radio like this is sampling the
receiver directly. I don't care if you implement any protocols before
selling it to me; I just want the SDR. I'm one of the guys who checked
the "Linux experimenter" box.

Will you add the receiver sampling specs to the datasheet?

Tom KD7LXL

Marshall Denny <MarshallDenny@...>

Receive signal strength.
As part of a Signal Quality that includes BER and any other measurement of signal quality available based on demodulation.

--
Respectfully,
W. Marshall Denny II

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer
 is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
Theodore Roosevelt

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

These type of signals are what Bryan is looking for -- I would just add that the UDR also runs in the 430 band, so they can have significant separation (in frequency domain) from repeater receivers (and transmitters).

E.g. if it is colocated on a site with a 444.9+ repeater [receiver at 449.9] and runs at 433.9, that is 16 mHz from the receiver and 11 mHz from the transmitter of the repeater.  2-3X the separation of the typical duplex pair.

[Please don't jump all over the use of particular frequencies, they are simply for illustration purposes.]

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Tom Hayward <esarfl@...> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM, Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
> TX inhibit
> * This will allow colocation of the UDR at a site with a 440 Voice Repeater

I see the TX inhibit input, but not the TX active output. Say I put
two of these at a site. How do I keep them from TXing at the same
time?

You use the colocated voice repeater example... maybe I want to
disable my repeater while the data radio is transmitting, not the
other way around :-)

What really excites me about a data radio like this is sampling the
receiver directly. I don't care if you implement any protocols before
selling it to me; I just want the SDR. I'm one of the guys who checked
the "Linux experimenter" box.

Will you add the receiver sampling specs to the datasheet?

Tom KD7LXL

__._,_.__.

Mathison Ott <mathisono@...>

I second the software-defined goniometer.

73 Mathison

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Marshall Denny <MarshallDenny@...> wrote:

Receive signal strength.
As part of a Signal Quality that includes BER and any other measurement of signal quality available based on demodulation.

--
Respectfully,
W. Marshall Denny II
Software Development Engineer
206 734 9242 cell

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer
 is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
Theodore Roosevelt

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

Providing BER and RSSI are already in the plan, as well as socket access I/Q, modems, etc. -- The rest appears to be an application?

This is an open design radio, developers are free to experiment with various applications.  NW Digital Radio will provide the platform and a few applications, other applications will come from the community.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Mathison Ott <mathisono@...> wrote:

I second the software-defined goniometer.

73 Mathison

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Marshall Denny <MarshallDenny@...> wrote:

Receive signal strength.
As part of a Signal Quality that includes BER and any other measurement of signal quality available based on demodulation.

--
Respectfully,
W. Marshall Denny II
Software Development Engineer
206 734 9242 cell

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer
 is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
Theodore Roosevelt

bhhoyer@...

Philip,

the UDR has a 25MHz Master TCXO Clock

Are you asking for an external clock option to drive multiple UDRs from a common Clock?

Bryan

Phillip Frost <indigo@...>

On Dec 3, 2013, at 4:01 PM, <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

the UDR has a 25MHz Master TCXO Clock

Are you asking for an external clock option to drive multiple UDRs from a common Clock?
Yes, precisely. If you can synchronize the phase of all the mixers and DACs and ADCs of a number of UDRs, each connected to a separate antenna, then you can do all sorts of neat spatial processing in software. What you have is an antenna array, but the phasing of the antennas is software controllable. You might call it MIMO, or beam forming, or spatial filtering, or field recording, depending on precisely what processing you are doing, and in what industry you are.

I'm not normally a fan of feature creep, but since this is something that requires hardware support, I thought it might be worth mentioning now. I imagine all the software that does the neat stuff can be implemented later, as long as the hardware has the necessary bolts, which is just phase coherence among multiple antennas.

Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...>

Philip,

I'm going to add External Clock as an unstuffed, untested, unsupported and consequently no-cost option.

I think it has merit and the elves seem to like it,
Santa

Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...>

Tom,

COR... DOH!

and done,
Santa

Brian D Heaton <ky9k-lists@...>

- Ability to lock at least the RF board to a 10MHz external reference (that may be the "synthesizer lock input" mentioned below).

73-KY9K/Brian

On 12/3/2013 8:05 AM, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
[...]

Steve Stroh N8GNJ <steve.n8gnj@...>

Many fans now have an output so the system can monitor if they die /
clog / jam. How about an input for such a feature on the fan. Hey,
wait, I thought there wasn't going to be a fan (the massive heat
sink)?

Thanks,

Steve