Topics

FT-847 PTT with wsjt-x not working #draws

okiejim

I have my draws working with direwolf using left port and aprs. I next wanted to try FT-8 with the same radio the FT-847. I did get some receive data decoded but have yet to be able to get the PTT to work. I have a CAT cable hooked up and can get and change freqs fine but no PTT. Anyone had any success using this radio? Im not sure how I can force the PTT to use the mini cable as that is all I have to use for APRS so looking for some insight.
73's Jim

Justin Clark (KJ7JC)

I'm having the same issue, all-though,i am running an FT-857d. I am fairly new to linux and all, byt i have a good understanding. Have you figured anything out yet??
Justin

Are you selecting CAT for PTT, then activating hamlib to perform CAT?

Except in fldigi where you can select GPIO for PTT.

Don't let Linux throw you, the applications perform the functions regardless of operating system.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 19:23 <jstnsclark@...> wrote:
I'm having the same issue, all-though,i am running an FT-857d. I am fairly new to linux and all, byt i have a good understanding. Have you figured anything out yet??
Justin

Justin Clark (KJ7JC)

I only have the 6pmDIN connected from the DRAWS to the data port on the radio. Do i need a cat control cable also??

If the program doesn't provide GPIO keying, then you have to use CAT or maybe VOX keying.  (Fldigi and direwolf are examples of programs with GPIO PTT keying)

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019, 20:07 <jstnsclark@...> wrote:
I only have the 6pmDIN connected from the DRAWS to the data port on the radio. Do i need a cat control cable also??

Justin Clark (KJ7JC)

OK, I am starting to understand it. Sorry, i am new to HAM and very new to the whole digital side of things. Its a learning curve and I am taking it on head first. hah
Thanks John for the help and continued support. I will do some more researching into what GPIO to select in FLDigi

okiejim

John and John,
Thank you for getting back to me. No I havea not had a chance to chase this down. My shack build is taking up alot of time. Im buiilding the shack in a RV Toyhauler that is why the
Draw Hat was so important to me. I will do some work with it this week. I saw an article on HamLib that said you could use RTS with the comport the same of the CAT port. I will try that first.
And yes I do use two cables the CAT cable has to be a null modem cable. It does work on my 847 and the Draws. More to come sorry for the delay.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 10:32 PM <jstnsclark@...> wrote:
OK, I am starting to understand it. Sorry, i am new to HAM and very new to the whole digital side of things. Its a learning curve and I am taking it on head first. hah
Thanks John for the help and continued support. I will do some more researching into what GPIO to select in FLDigi

okiejim

Time for an update. I tried every combination on wsjtx for PTT on my Yeasue FT-847. No joy. So I went to rigctl direct. when I just use command  uppercase T, the 847 beeps twice and the led display say ERROR. So I assume this is an error in hamlib and not WSJT-x? All this is trying to use the CAT for PTT control. Since Xastir works fine via the minidin cable is there a way to have WSJT to work the same way via that cable? The CAT is working for setting the Freqs on my rig just not the PTT.

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 7:25 AM okiejim via Groups.Io <kd6vpe=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Aw geez,
I need to keep reading up on this device. The answer seems to be in the groups.io.  I see that another ham has simular trouble with an ft-817 and he got an anwser of trying fldigi and flrig first then select flrig in wsjt-x and that might help I will try this this weekend and see. I wish it was easier to find this kind of info. I just don't know how to use group.io very well yet.

okiejim

After all this trial and error. Really!!! I was trying all weekend to get this working. I finally decided I should just do a factory reset on my ft-847 since I had been doing so many things. I did and after that I couldn't get the CAT to work anymore. I checked the baud rate and the default was 4800. I had been running it at 57600. So I said why not and set the wsjt-x rate to 4800. WaaLaa I have PTT working and CAT. So anyone having issues this may help. I now need to play with transmit levels to get a good QSO none yet.

Basil Gunn

Jim,

Thanks for the update.

You shouldn't have to play with transmit levels.
Look in your FT-847 manual for recommended TX audio levels for digital
mode, then use John's web app for the appropriate ALSA settings.
Let us know what settings work for you.

/Basil

okiejim <kd6vpe@...> writes:

After all this trial and error. Really!!! I was trying all weekend to
get this working. I finally decided I should just do a factory reset
on my ft-847 since I had been doing so many things. I did and after
that I couldn't get the CAT to work anymore. I checked the baud rate
and the default was 4800. I had been running it at 57600. So I said
why not and set the wsjt-x rate to 4800. WaaLaa I have PTT working and
CAT. So anyone having issues this may help. I now need to play with
transmit levels to get a good QSO none yet.

okiejim

Thank you for all your work,
So not that I have the PTT working I just need to get some audio out. I have not been able to make a QSO yet. I decode fine. It must be a level thing. I tried asking Yeasu Tech Support and their response was that they no longer support my ft-847. I have started  out with the sample for the ft-817. What is the best way to listen to the output of the draws hat? Should it sound like what I hear on the recieve?

If you look at page 17 of the FT-847 Manual in the lower left corner, you will see the drive levels to use for transmit (pin 1).  Use those values (HF digital on Yaesu usually uses the 1200 baud packet pins for TX/RX and likely the 1200 baud drive level.)

Use the procedure from the DRAWS™ Manager video. To set the level.  For 40 mv, it should look like
Screen Shot 2019-04-30 at 2.28.40 PM.png

If you have a second receiver the transmitted signal should sound like what you hear on the receiver when receiving the same mode.  You could also use a scope to look at the signal on pin 1.

On the FT-847 there is also a data I/O stereo jack on the back of the radio (in addition to the packet port), see page 16 in the manual.

The FT-847 is a fine radio.  I operated one for a few years, including using the 9600 baud packet port for a D-STAR receive capability.  However, it is long out of production and that is why Yaesu no longer has support for it.

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 2:08 PM okiejim <kd6vpe@...> wrote:
Thank you for all your work,
So not that I have the PTT working I just need to get some audio out. I have not been able to make a QSO yet. I decode fine. It must be a level thing. I tried asking Yeasu Tech Support and their response was that they no longer support my ft-847. I have started  out with the sample for the ft-817. What is the best way to listen to the output of the draws hat? Should it sound like what I hear on the recieve?

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

okiejim

Thank you John.
I got out the ole magnifier and see what you said. I had looked at that page before but did not see the small print. Just like contracts. lol.
I have set it up to this with draw manager and will have to try later. Currently here in Oklahoma we are under tornado warnings and the bands are not open.
I will updzte when I get the next chance. Thank you you guys, I will share the t