Topics

GPIO versus USB on the 3000

mb7usm@...

Hello Team,

Can anyone let me know the main differences between the GPIO / USB version.

My main question is will the USB work on a raspberry pi, it gives a bit more flexibility down the line.

Also the 25 watt digital radio, is the price complete or would you need to buy the gpio 3000 board to make it work?

I have 2 main projects in mind and would appreciate your feedback.

1:- analogue gateway to d-star / dmr using a dv300 and dummy repeater / analogue radio (plus interface)

2:- Longer term goal set up a DMR repeater, but really need help on the licensing side / set up here.

I look forward to talking with you all soon and learning more about these great products and technologies.

Best 73 de James kg7efv

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 8:02 AM, mb7usm@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Hello Team,

Can anyone let me know the main differences between the GPIO / USB version.

They are functionally the same.  The GPIO version appears as a serial port to the Raspberry Pi and the USB version appears as a serial port to any computer with the correct FTDI USB serial driver.

My main question is will the USB work on a raspberry pi, it gives a bit more flexibility down the line.

Yes and Yes.

Also the 25 watt digital radio, is the price complete or would you need to buy the gpio 3000 board to make it work?

The UDRX-440 is primarily a digital data radio.  To include digital voice one adds a DV3000 (GPIO) or ThumbDV™ (USB) device, as an additional option.

I have 2 main projects in mind and would appreciate your feedback.

1:- analogue gateway to d-star / dmr using a dv300 and dummy repeater / analogue radio (plus interface)

2:- Longer term goal set up a DMR repeater, but really need help on the licensing side / set up here.

NW Digital Radio is not currently planning to create a DMR package for the UDRX-440, but others have expressed interest.   BTW, multiple ThumbDVs can be attached to a computer to provide multiple AMBE streams. The DMR and D-STAR AMBE streams are slightly different and would need to be encoded separately (though the AMBE 3000 chip can do each).

I look forward to talking with you all soon and learning more about these great products and technologies.

Best 73 de James kg7efv

__.

john@...

---In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., <mb7usm@...> wrote :

2:- Longer term goal set up a DMR repeater, but really need help on the licensing side / set up here.

You may want to follow this thread PC Repeater Controller

I look forward to talking with you all soon and learning more about these great products and technologies.

Best 73 de James kg7efv

mb7usm@...

Hello and thanks for the answers most useful.

It seems for me the USB is a better way to go.

Can I presume the dv3000 u replaces the older blue and red dvd dongle for d-star and the functionality is pretty much the same? will be good on the simplex node / pi. But also good when travelling connected to the laptop.

This will work for simplex by the looks of it which is ideal for my UK simplex node mb7ism.
Can do an analogue to d-star gateway, maybe in the future DMR.

Replacing irlp-echo-link, I wonder if you can use dtmf to control which reflector you connect to or which repeater.

Can you also access the data side of d-star, run something like d-rats?

Thanks so much happy afternoon

James kg7efv

mb7usm@...

Hi Thanks for the reply,

The analogue simplex gateway looks quite simple and I'll build one of those.
The USB option seems more flexible, so all decided on that option. use it on the pi to start with as a gateway

I do like the data radio, but its just out of reach at this time, money wise ill take a look in a few months because this is right up my street.

I've used a blue dv dongle before and got access to d-star, I am not fully up on DMR, but id like to set it up.
We have a possibility to create a new DMR repeater here in the UK if we can figure out a cheap enough way to do it.

From the post on pc repeater its quite far off, let alone the licensing issue?

Can you get it running simplex just pc / dv3000 speakers and mic? analogue fm in?

What about fusion? I guess that's the same?

Thanks and have a great day

James

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 1:01 PM, mb7usm@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Can I presume the dv3000 u replaces the older blue and red dvd dongle for d-star and the functionality is pretty much the same? will be good on the simplex node / pi. But also good when travelling connected to the laptop.

ThumbDV™ is a newer, more capable, and less expensive alternative to the 'blue dongle', it is not a replacement for a 'red' dongle (DVAP).  It does not directly provide RF connectivity.

This will work for simplex by the looks of it which is ideal for my UK simplex node mb7ism.
Can do an analogue to d-star gateway, maybe in the future DMR.

Replacing irlp-echo-link, I wonder if you can use dtmf to control which reflector you connect to or which repeater.

Jonathan's (G4KLX) ircDDBGateway supports DTMF linking and unlinking.  It sits behind DummyRepeater (speaker/microphone) or RF solutions (UDRX-440, DVMega, DVRPTR V1, DVAP, GMSK Modem, soundcard GMSK, ...) See Yahoo! Forum ircDDBGateway for capabilities and configurations.

Can you also access the data side of d-star, run something like d-rats?

Yes, depending on front end (long discussion, better addressed in groups such as Yahoo! pcrepeatercontroller). DV data lives inside the stream.

Thanks so much happy afternoon

James kg7efv

__._,_._