Topics

Installing draws image

Douglas

I am stuck.  I have gotten to the point of installing it via command line, but it just keeps saying that the card is a directory.

Here is the command:
dd bs=4M if=draws_beta9.img of=/media/pi/8B6D-99CF

Error:
dd: failed to open '/media/pi/8B6D-99CF': Is a directory

This is after i have downloaded the file and unzipped it.

Thanks,

Douglas

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

That error message dd is giving you is correct. You can't write an image file to a directory. You need to write an image file to the device representing the flash card.

You want of=/dev/X where "X" is the  name of the device. It could be sdd or mmcblk0. You'll have to ls your /dev directory to know for sure.

Hope this helps.

73,

-Dave
 W3DJS

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 8:39 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
I am stuck.  I have gotten to the point of installing it via command line, but it just keeps saying that the card is a directory.

Here is the command:
dd bs=4M if=draws_beta9.img of=/media/pi/8B6D-99CF

Error:
dd: failed to open '/media/pi/8B6D-99CF': Is a directory

This is after i have downloaded the file and unzipped it.

Thanks,

Douglas

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Douglas

I changed to the /dev/sdb, when i do a look up for devices, it shows sdb as the the 32 gb device, which what the card is im writing to.  The card in the pi is sixteen gb.  It gives me access denied when i do sdb.

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Douglas

Here is what i keep getting

pi@Lakelandpi:~$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb           8:16   1 29.6G  1 disk
mmcblk0     179:0    0 14.9G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1    0 43.8M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2    0 14.8G  0 part /
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dcfldd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
bash: dcfldd: command not found
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied

I've been trying to right to sdb, it matches the sd card i have in the card reader.

when i use dd, it gives me permission denied.

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Prefix the command with "sudo".

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 10:59 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
I changed to the /dev/sdb, when i do a look up for devices, it shows sdb as the the 32 gb device, which what the card is im writing to.  The card in the pi is sixteen gb.  It gives me access denied when i do sdb.

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Try with sudo

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 20:12 Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
Here is what i keep getting

pi@Lakelandpi:~$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb           8:16   1 29.6G  1 disk
mmcblk0     179:0    0 14.9G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1    0 43.8M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2    0 14.8G  0 part /
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dcfldd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
bash: dcfldd: command not found
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied

I've been trying to right to sdb, it matches the sd card i have in the card reader.

when i use dd, it gives me permission denied.

Douglas

I get read only file system with sudo.

KI7LIK

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 20:28 John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Try with sudo

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 20:12 Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
Here is what i keep getting

pi@Lakelandpi:~$ lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb           8:16   1 29.6G  1 disk
mmcblk0     179:0    0 14.9G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1    0 43.8M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2    0 14.8G  0 part /
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dcfldd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
bash: dcfldd: command not found
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied

I've been trying to right to sdb, it matches the sd card i have in the card reader.

when i use dd, it gives me permission denied.

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Make sure the volume on the card is unmounted first.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 11:31 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
With sudo, i get read-only file system.  Does this mean that the sd card needs reformatting or...?

pi@Lakelandpi:~$ sudo dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Read-only file system

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Douglas

Unmounted

pi@Lakelandpi:~$ umount /dev/sdb
umount: /dev/sdb: not mounted

Dave Slotter, W3DJS

Are you saying it's working, or not working?

One more thing... If you're still getting the read-only file system error, then check to see if the physical switch on the side of the SD card is in the write position. If not, then there's your problem.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 11:36 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
Unmounted

pi@Lakelandpi:~$ umount /dev/sdb
umount: /dev/sdb: not mounted

Christopher Day

Try being root when you do that.

NAME        MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb           8:16   1 29.6G  1 disk
mmcblk0     179:0    0 14.9G  0 disk
├─mmcblk0p1 179:1    0 43.8M  0 part /boot
└─mmcblk0p2 179:2    0 14.8G  0 part /
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dcfldd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
bash: dcfldd: command not found
pi@Lakelandpi:~$ dd if=draws_beta9.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/dev/sdb': Permission denied

I've been trying to right to sdb, it matches the sd card i have in the card reader.

when i use dd, it gives me permission denied.

Douglas

How do i get to root?

Steve KC1AWV

When using umount, you must unmount a partition, like /dev/sdb1 . You can't mount/unmount a block device, only partitions

Steve KC1AWV

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 11:48 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
How do i get to root?

Steve KC1AWV

Also, sudo "command" runs command as root. If you want to switch to root, use the command su

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019, 11:28 AM Steve KC1AWV via Groups.Io <smiller=kc1awv.net@groups.io> wrote:
When using umount, you must unmount a partition, like /dev/sdb1 . You can't mount/unmount a block device, only partitions

Steve KC1AWV

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019, 11:48 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
How do i get to root?

Douglas

First, thanks to everyone for helping.  I may be missing something.  I keep getting the same read only errors whether or not the card is in the locked position.

Sunday night and last night i used diskimager, for some reason it didn't work.  After attempting to boot the pi on sunday and nothing happening, i check the card on the pc, it had nothing on it and said it was empty.  I tried again last night, and still nothing.  The card is a pny 32gb micro sdhc card and looks to be a class 1 card.  I formatted to fat 32 before writing the image to the card.  I used the same computer as when i first wrote the raspbian.

I'm thinking its possibly the card or maybe even the user.

Douglas,

A few points:
  • If you are burning the SDCARD from Windows or MacOS, use Etcher. It works really well on those platforms (As well as some Intel/AMD Linux platforms).
  • You do not need to pre-format the SDCARD, the image overwrites the formatting anyway, just use a raw card or understand that you are overwriting sector by sector new partitions and filesystems.
  • Generally, we recommend a CLASS 10 or better SDCARD.  Lower class ones will usually work, but they are more likely to fail as they are really designed for lower duty cycles (and they are often faster as well).
It does sound like you may have a defective card, it is hard to say.  Many of the image writing programs have the ability to verify the writes.  Also, since the partitions/filesystem (except /boot) are foreign to Windows and MacOS, you probably won't see them from your PC/Mac.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 8:41 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
First, thanks to everyone for helping.  I may be missing something.  I keep getting the same read only errors whether or not the card is in the locked position.

Sunday night and last night i used diskimager, for some reason it didn't work.  After attempting to boot the pi on sunday and nothing happening, i check the card on the pc, it had nothing on it and said it was empty.  I tried again last night, and still nothing.  The card is a pny 32gb micro sdhc card and looks to be a class 1 card.  I formatted to fat 32 before writing the image to the card.  I used the same computer as when i first wrote the raspbian.

I'm thinking its possibly the card or maybe even the user.

Director

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

Douglas,

  It sounds like you're trying to write the image from your Pi?

  Can you issue an `lsblk` command and tell us anything useful about the drives it shows that you know? (like which ones you don't want to overwrite for example)

  From there we can help you construct a command that should work to burn the image.

  Failing that, etcher on a "real" computer is your best bet.

- Steve