Topics

Looking for more info

jd_hudson@...

As a new owner of a ThumbDV and this being my first ever attempt at the Dstar world, I'm really finding this frustrating. As dumb as I am in this Dstar world is there any other software that will work with the ThumbDV other than WinDV that will allow me to access the reflectors and try this mode out? I'm still waiting to hear about the WinDV 1.5.8 but after 4 emails to 3 different email address now in the 3rd day, to be honest, I'm getting frustrated to think this is the only software the ThumbDV uses.

I appologize if this is the wrong group also... I'm just trying to get my simple brain around this Dstar and right now I'm pedaling up hill in mud

Thanks

John
KO4XJ

Bernd - OE7BSH <oe7bsh@...>

john,

g4klx dummyrepeater works with thumbdv too

http://nwdigitalradio.com/thumbdv-and-dv3000-resource-page
73 de Bernd, OE7BSH
--
==================================
oe7bsh@... // http://www.qth.at/oe7bsh

On 14.05.2015 21:10, jd_hudson@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] wrote:

As a new owner of a ThumbDV and this being my first ever attempt at the Dstar world, I'm really finding this frustrating. As dumb as I am in this Dstar world is there any other software that will work with the ThumbDV other than WinDV that will allow me to access the reflectors and try this mode out? I'm still waiting to hear about the WinDV 1.5.8 but after 4 emails to 3 different email address now in the 3rd day, to be honest, I'm getting frustrated to think this is the only software the ThumbDV uses.

I appologize if this is the wrong group also... I'm just trying to get my simple brain around this Dstar and right now I'm pedaling up hill in mud

Thanks

John
KO4XJ

Fran Miele <fran@...>

Yes, Ircddbgateway and Dummy Repeater. You can get both from their yahoo groups. Ircddbgateway group and PCRepeaterController group for Dummy repeater.

Just look in the files section of each group and get the latest versions form the BETA file area.

--Fran, W1FJM

"Crazzeee stuff happens in D-STAR,..  be part of it"

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 3:10 PM, jd_hudson@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

As a new owner of a ThumbDV and this being my first ever attempt at the Dstar world, I'm really finding this frustrating. As dumb as I am in this Dstar world is there any other software that will work with the ThumbDV other than WinDV that will allow me to access the reflectors and try this mode out? I'm still waiting to hear about the WinDV 1.5.8 but after 4 emails to 3 different email address now in the 3rd day, to be honest, I'm getting frustrated to think this is the only software the ThumbDV uses.

I appologize if this is the wrong group also... I'm just trying to get my simple brain around this Dstar and right now I'm pedaling up hill in mud

Thanks

John
KO4XJ

kb7sqi@...

Hi John,
    WinDV is just one option to use w/ the ThumbDV on Windows.  You can also use the G4KLX software which works great also.  It looks like the Dutch-Star web site is down.  I can' t reach it either.  Considering the Dayton Hamfest is kicking off, I'd try to have some patience as far as getting a reply from Fred.  He's usually very quick to reply.  I'd suspect he's probably traveling.
    While you're waiting,  here's some pointers to getting your ThumbDV working w/ the G4KLX software.  First make sure you check out the NW Digital Resource Page:

You'll find a link to this handy PDF file that has several screenshots on how to setup ircDDBGateway & DummyRepeater.

It actually covers setting up the DV3000 & the ThumbDV on Linux & Windows.  I highly recommend grabbing the latest versions of both ircDDBGateway & DummyRepeater from the Yahoo Groups.  Also grab the AMBEServerWin file from the first URL.

Follow the instructions for using the ThumbDV as a network device.  This will save you from having audio issues while TX/RX.   There's plenty of web sites out there showing how all this is setup.  It might seem a little overwhelming at first, but I promise, it's fun.  I've been on D-Star over a year now and enjoyed it a lot.  In that time, I've bought the ID-91AD, the 51A+, the 31A, an 880 for mobile use, a 70cm DVAP, and now the ThumbDV and the Star*DV.  That's one of the biggest strengths D-Star has over most other digital modes.  There's plenty of options out there. :-)  I hope the info gets you started.  73 de KB7SQI!

Steve, kb7sqi

KA1MXL <ka1mxl@...>

John

Send me your email and I will send a copy of windv for the thumbDv.