Topics

MMDVM for udrc II

oeste.hanspeter@...

I have written out an image to an SD card of the latest Compass image, and downloaded and compiled the udrc MMDVM GitHub package. On trying to start MMDVM I get the following error though. Any thoughts on what the issue might be?

Virtual pty: /dev/pts/1 <> ttyMMDVM0
Cannot get control attributes for /dev/ptmx
unable to open serial port on both: ttyMMDVM0

I have the udrc II and aplay -L sees it just fine.

BTW, running 'sudo apt-get upgrade' installs stuff that causes the udrc to vanish, so I am currently reframing from installing about 10 packages. Kernel, video and systemd stuff. Thoughts?

Hans Oeste
VE7OES

Basil Gunn

BTW, running 'sudo apt-get upgrade' installs stuff that causes the udrc to
vanish, so I am currently reframing from installing about 10 packages.
Kernel, video and systemd stuff. Thoughts?
The following brings the udrc driver modules back after an apt-get upgrade:

apt-get remove udrc-dkms
apt-get install udrc-dkms

/Basil

Hans Oeste <oeste.hanspeter@...>

Wow! I'm glad I asked as that's pretty simple.

It would be great if that was in the wiki. It would have saved me quite a few installs and pretty much a full day trying to figure out what was going on when trying the different package updates.

Hans.

On August 10, 2018 4:04:31 PM "Basil Gunn" <@basil860> wrote:

BTW, running 'sudo apt-get upgrade' installs stuff that causes the udrc to
vanish, so I am currently reframing from installing about 10 packages.
Kernel, video and systemd stuff. Thoughts?
The following brings the udrc driver modules back after an apt-get upgrade:

apt-get remove udrc-dkms
apt-get install udrc-dkms

/Basil

Annaliese McDermond

It’s not in the wiki because it’s a bug. I just uploaded a new package that I’m hoping will solve the issue and you won’t have to use the workaround

--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems

On Aug 10, 2018, at 7:43 PM, Hans Oeste <oeste.hanspeter@...> wrote:

Wow! I'm glad I asked as that's pretty simple.

It would be great if that was in the wiki. It would have saved me quite a few installs and pretty much a full day trying to figure out what was going on when trying the different package updates.

Hans.

On August 10, 2018 4:04:31 PM "Basil Gunn" <@basil860> wrote:

BTW, running 'sudo apt-get upgrade' installs stuff that causes the udrc to
vanish, so I am currently reframing from installing about 10 packages.
Kernel, video and systemd stuff. Thoughts?
The following brings the udrc driver modules back after an apt-get upgrade:

apt-get remove udrc-dkms
apt-get install udrc-dkms

/Basil

cb

Basil,

There was something from SalmonCON I was supposed to followup with you on... Some question about the KX3...?  Audio amplification level adjustment or hardware questions?

Second - just basic questions - how do I go about learning that "apt-get remove udrc-dkms" does something specific... and maybe secondarily, how do you remember all that stuff?  Where does a guy go to learn it and leave the evil world of windows behind?

Thanks - probably not a simple question and it is probably so far in your past it may not be possible to recall... But thanks.

Third - will I see you at Summer Gathering?    I'll be there... plans are afoot.

Thanks!

Curt Black - West Seattle Amateur Radio Club

206 755-4541c

wr5j@...

..

"

On 2018-08-10 16:04, Basil Gunn wrote:
BTW, running 'sudo apt-get upgrade' installs stuff that causes the udrc to
vanish, so I am currently reframing from installing about 10 packages.
Kernel, video and systemd stuff. Thoughts?
The following brings the udrc driver modules back after an apt-get upgrade:

apt-get remove udrc-dkms
apt-get install udrc-dkms

/Basil

Kenny Richards

Curt,

I'm sure Basil will have better answers, but I can provide a couple pointers to get started.

>how do I go about learning that "apt-get remove udrc-dkms" does something specific?

This is a really good break down of all the kinds of things apt-get can do and how todo them.

https://www.tecmint.com/useful-basic-commands-of-apt-get-and-apt-cache-for-package-management/

>how do you remember all that stuff?

You don't, unless you are using them all the time. (apt-get is pretty basic if you use the command line as the primary interface to linux, so it is a easy one.) But the more odd stuff, you remember there is something that does a thing and then you go look up how. At least that is how I do it, or you figure it out once and put it into a script, which is something Basil does.

>Where does a guy go to learn it and leave the evil world of windows behind?

My recommendation, setup a second box and try todo as much as  you can with it, but don't make it a binary decision immediately. At some point you'll figure out that you have stopped using Windows 90% of the time and you will have switched.

Good luck!
Kenny