Topics

Multiple Applications / Modes simultaneously running on the UDR56K-4

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

General guidelines:
  1. We don't have an exhaustive list of every possible combination of applications an operator might want to run.  We will not be able to tell the impact of every combination that you can come up with. (And you really want us to stay focused on getting basic modes running individually first, right? Remember we are a 4 person team, with some support from spouses and friends.)  We'll try to give high level answers, but often it will be a best "guess" with the proof left to the implementer.
  2. We will have standard configurations for common uses, such as RMS Gateway, iGate, D-STAR Gateway, D-STAR Voice, D-STAR data, for ease of use by those who have a specific application in mind.  If one is mixing applications, then it may be trial and error, combined with community support via this forum.
  3. This radio has a built-in Linux "server" computer.  It is reasonably powerful, but not as powerful as current generation desktop systems, so one should decide what is an efficient use of its computer and what might be offloaded to another computer and be accessed via the network.
  4. The UDR56K-4 has one half-duplex 70cm radio, at first release it will not be dynamically mode agile, e.g. if you want to run AX.25 at 9600 baud, you set the radio to that mode.  If you want it to be a D-STAR DV radio (including D-RATS) you set the radio to that mode, If you want it to be a D-STAR DD radio you set it to that mode. (Like going between USB, FM, AM, and CW on your rig -- you set it for the current task.)   The radio isn't going to automatically switch between operating modes on its own (maybe in the future).
  5. Some possible configurations [no product commitments in this list, it is just of some ideas we have thought about -- as we try them out, we'll provide application notes on the company website over the next weeks and months]:
    • One might hook a TNC and Analog radio through USB port to gateway between legacy AX.25 systems and the higher speed UDR56K-4
    • One might hook a node adapter or DVRPTR board to a USB on the UDR56K-4 to add a receiver (for a repeater or second 'hotspot' or for diversity receive) or a second node to the D-STAR Gateway.
    • One might interconnect with servers and other devices over Ethernet or Wifi - for example a Raspberry Pi and TNC-Pi board can relay traffic over Ethernet to the UDR56K-4
    • One could conceivably run a USB WiFi access point or MESH node in conjunction with the UDR56K-4
  6. Some of these configurations have been partially tested, some should just work but haven't been tested, and so forth.
We need to walk a bit before we run :)

We hope that users will "run with their ideas" and share what they learn on this forum -- as soon as we can get radios built and shipped!  If we see a challenge to what someone is proposing, we'll try to explain alternatives :)

[Links to specific examples of add-on devices is for reference only. NW Digital Radio is not affiliated with these companies or products and cannot represent nor endorse their specific capabilities or offerings. The reader is responsible for their own due diligence when searching for suitable enhancement products to use with their UDR56K-4.]

"John" <john@...>

Mark (KV4I) asks:

For example, can I run a Winlink 2000 RMS Gateway and a
D-RATs Ratflector simultaneously?

NW DIgital Radio will have a pre-packaged RMS Gateway for the UDR56K-4

We have not profiled running D-RATS Ratflector on the UDR56K-4.  It does require a fair amount of memory, so observation of it running in parallel with other applications is prudent.

Installing D-RATS on the UDR56K-4 (as root or using sudo)

wget http://blog.anantshri.info/content/uploads/2010/09/add-apt-repository.sh.txt
cp add-apt-repository.sh.txt /usr/sbin/add-apt-repository
chmod +x /usr/sbin/add-apt-repository
add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-hams-updates/ppa
apt-get update
apt-get install d-rats glade xterm twm

(You will also need to run an X-Window server on your GUI system, if you use Windows you can install xrdp on the UDR56K -- along with xterm, and use Remote Desktop -- running a GUI such as vncserver, X-Windows, etc. does add overhead to the radio's server -- daemons with web interfaces are more efficient and recommended.)

Hopefully this information will be helpful in your planning.  The D-RATS package can run the Internet server on the UDR56K-4 processor (untested but have successfully installed and executed it) = I have not tested it with an external radio (USB to D-STAR radio) yet.  We have not setup the UDR56K-4 radio for direct connection to D-RATS at this point.

Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...>

Thanks for addressing my question. I see now that available RAM might be an obstacle to running both WL2K and a Ratflector at the same time.

I'm presently running a Ratflector (as well as xtightvnc, a web server and ftp server) on my 512 MB Raspberry Pi with only 162 MB free so setting up a Ratflector on the 256 MB UDR56K might be the only app I can run but it looks like a fun opportunity to experiment.

Thanks,
73 Mark KV4I

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 5:49 AM, John <john@...> wrote:

[...]

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>

Thanks John for getting this thread going.

As John pointed out the radio is in one mode at a time, so running D-STAR and packet apps simultaneously is out for now.

There are other things one could do, but there are issues with the reality of the world we play in.

For example, in 9k6 packet mode one could simultaneously run RMS Gateway and APRS IGate in software. The problem is they are on 2 different channels, each of which is a dedicated resource (please don't suggest scanning as a solution).

This is why I proposed the hailing channel for packet radio at DCC last September (I'll be giving the presentation again at Comms Academy in Seattle).

The UDR is the first radio capable of implementing such a concept. I'm sure all of you have your own ideas what we might do with it. The successful ideas will be those that local groups implement, then publish their results for others to use.

Let the experiments begin!

Mark L Friedlander <marklfriedlander@...>

 I knew the UDR56K-4 could do DSTAR data in DV mode but wasn't aware until John posted that the UDR56K also had DSTAR DD capability. Aside from the frequency, power and speed, does the UDR56K-4 DD mode function in the same manner as the Icom ID-1?

Can one use two UDR56K-4 as a radio Ethernet bridge to interface two computers over the air?

73 Mark KV4I

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM, k7udr <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Vodall <wa7nwp@...>

There are other things one could do, but there are issues with the reality of the world we play in.
Reality for some is wilder then some fiction...

For example, in 9k6 packet mode one could simultaneously run RMS Gateway and APRS IGate in software. The problem is they are on 2 different channels, each of which is a dedicated resource (please don't suggest scanning as a solution).
Why wouldn't scanning be a solution? Timing issues yes but seems it
shouldn't just be written off. Anyway the RMS Gateway and APRS IGate
functionality are not really interoperative... A LAN channel would
do well to use APRS (ala an Igate or two) to announce resources such
as RMS or other gateways... There's plenty of bandwidth for multiple
resources to share.

73
Bill, WA7NWP