Topics

My ThumbDV won't work

tom@...

I can’t get my ThumbDV to work.  Apparently, my computer cannot see it.  My friends report that when they plugged their ThumbDV into a WinBook 700 it automatically installed drivers, etc.  Mine did nothing when I plugged it in.

I have tried it on my WinBook 700 (its operating system is Windows 8.1); a desktop running Windows 7; and also a Dell laptop running XP, with no luck. I also tried running the ThumbDV on my wife’s WinBook700 to no avail.

When I run NAWinConfig or NAWinTest, I get the error message is, “node adapter not detected.”

 Does it sound like something is wrong with the ThumbDV or am I missing a step in installation?

BTW, I can operate my DVDongle (using DVTool) with the WinBook, no problem...

73 Tom

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

Tom,

The tools NAWinConfig and NAWinTest are for testing Node Adapters and not USB attached AMBE devices like the ThumbDV.

Open the program "Device Manager" and go to the COM/LPT list.  Plug the ThumbDV in and see if a new "USB Serial" device shows up and note its number, e.g. COM4, and unplug it and see if it disappears from the list.  If it appears and disappears, your computer is seeing it.

Go to WinDV (be sure you have the beta 1.5.8-x from DUTCH*Star -- you have to ask for it) and select the ThumbDV and configure it to use the COM port you see in the list. (DVTool has not been modified to support ThumbDV)

If the ThumbDV not showing up, it's possible that the driver didn't install.  You will note on the http://nwdigitalradio.com/thumbdv-and-dv3000-resource-page page there is a link to get the drivers directly from FTDI.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:01 PM, tom@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

I can’t get my ThumbDV to work.  Apparently, my computer cannot see it.  My friends report that when they plugged their ThumbDV into a WinBook 700 it automatically installed drivers, etc.  Mine did nothing when I plugged it in.

I have tried it on my WinBook 700 (its operating system is Windows 8.1); a desktop running Windows 7; and also a Dell laptop running XP, with no luck. I also tried running the ThumbDV on my wife’s WinBook700 to no avail.

When I run NAWinConfig or NAWinTest, I get the error message is, “node adapter not detected.”

 Does it sound like something is wrong with the ThumbDV or am I missing a step in installation?

BTW, I can operate my DVDongle (using DVTool) with the WinBook, no problem...

73 Tom

tom@...

thanks for your help - I did what you suggested and the ThumbDV is being seen after all - but I cannot find the WIN DV Beta 1.5.8 - I did find V1.5.7 Updated under Dutch Star DV Mode -I don't understand what you mean about "you have to ask for it?" again thanks!

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

Use the contact information on DUTCH*Star site to ask Fred for the beta, e.g. send him an email.

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 4:57 PM, tom@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

thanks for your help - I did what you suggested and the ThumbDV is being seen after all - but I cannot find the WIN DV Beta 1.5.8 - I did find V1.5.7 Updated under Dutch Star DV Mode -I don't understand what you mean about "you have to ask for it?" again thanks!

__._,_.

ve3jx@...

Hi John,

My ThumbDV works okay, but goes to sleep permanently when the PC goes into idle/sleep mode.  I am using WinDV and Windows 7.  The only way to 'wake' it up is to reseat it, or restart the PC.  Am I missing anything?

Cheers,

Dave Hayes VE3JX

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 7:25 PM, ve3jx@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Hi John,

My ThumbDV works okay, but goes to sleep permanently when the PC goes into idle/sleep mode.  I am using WinDV and Windows 7.  The only way to 'wake' it up is to reseat it, or restart the PC.  Am I missing anything?

Cheers,

Dave Hayes VE3JX

ve3jx@...

Thanks John.  I tried this, i.e. ticking off the power management function on all these 'hubs'.  My Device Manager shows 7 of these suckers, which is a bit strange to me.  Anyway, the boxes stayed unclicked, but the problem is still there.  It will not wake up unless reseated or the PC is restarted.

I went into the same list as the 'hubs' but clicked on 'USB Serial Converter'.  There is a disable/enable button.  One time, when toggling this, it seem to work at awakening it.  All the other times (maybe 4 or 5), I got among other things the blue screen of death.

I wonder, is there a certain vintage of FDTI driver that I should be using?  The PC (Windows 7 Home Premium) automatically chose version 2.10.0.0  Should I be using one of the archived drivers from your website, perchance?

Cheers,

Dave Hayes VE3JX

Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahu.stuff@...>

Try disabling and re-enabling in Device Manager.  Not a permanent solution, but easier than rebooting.

On 2015-03-08 16:39, ve3jx@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] wrote:
Thanks John.  I tried this, i.e. ticking off the power management function on all these 'hubs'.  My Device Manager shows 7 of these suckers, which is a bit strange to me.  Anyway, the boxes stayed unclicked, but the problem is still there.  It will not wake up unless reseated or the PC is restarted.

I went into the same list as the 'hubs' but clicked on 'USB Serial Converter'.  There is a disable/enable button.  One time, when toggling this, it seem to work at awakening it.  All the other times (maybe 4 or 5), I got among other things the blue screen of death.

I wonder, is there a certain vintage of FDTI driver that I should be using?  The PC (Windows 7 Home Premium) automatically chose version 2.10.0.0  Should I be using one of the archived drivers from your website, perchance?

Cheers,Dave Hayes VE3JX

VE3JX <ve3jx@...>

Hi Dean,

So great to hear from you!

As you can see from my original message, I did toggle the disable/enable button for the 'USB Serial Converter' which generally resulted in a Windows crash.

However, you may be asking if I did the disable/enable thing with the 'USB Root Hub'?  I can't seem to be able to do that.

However, I did go back to the 'USB Serial Converter' in the Device Manager list and redid the disable/enable thing, and it worked . . . this time, without the blue screen of death, hi hi.

When it is up and running, my ThumbDV seems to work very well.

Cheers,

Dave Hayes VE3JX

Sun Mar 8, 2015 6:47 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

"Dean Gibson AE7Q" dean_ae7q

> Try disabling and re-enabling in Device Manager. Not a permanent
> solution, but easier than rebooting.

>On 2015-03-08 16:39, ve3jx@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] wrote:
>> Thanks John. I tried this, i.e. ticking off the power management
>> function on all these 'hubs'. My Device Manager shows 7 of these
>> suckers, which is a bit strange to me. Anyway, the boxes stayed
>> unclicked, but the problem is still there. It will not wake up unless
>> reseated or the PC is restarted.
>>
>> I went into the same list as the 'hubs' but clicked on 'USB Serial
>> Converter'. There is a disable/enable button. One time, when
>> toggling this, it seem to work at awakening it. All the other times
>> (maybe 4 or 5), I got among other things the blue screen of death.
>>
>> I wonder, is there a certain vintage of FDTI driver that I should be
>> using? The PC (Windows 7 Home Premium) automatically chose version
>> 2.10.0.0 Should I be using one of the archived drivers from your
>> website, perchance?
>>
>> Cheers, Dave Hayes VE3JX

VE3JX <ve3jx@...>

Alas, I knew it was too good to last.

When I did the disable/enable a second time, later on the same day, the screen goes back, then blue with text, with indications in the text on the screen that it had something to do with the FTDI driver, or as near as I can figure out.  Once it comes back from the Windows restart, then everything is okay . . . until the next nap time.

Cheers,

Dave Hayes VE3JX

ve3jx@...

Alas, fat fingers.  "the screen goes back, then blue with text" should read: "the screen goes black, then blue with text".

Sorry about that.

Dave VE3JX