Topics

New Case for RPi, DRAWS and 7 inch LCD - Looking for testers

steve@...

Hello,

VE7KGV and I designed a case to allow use of the DRAWS Hat with a Raspberry Pi and 7 inch LCD but have no way to test it because we haven't gotten a DRAWS board to play with (Hopefully in the next couple of weeks).  As a result we've only been able to design this from the spec sheet.  The full design is on Thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3387482

There are pictures there as well.

Would love any input you have on how to improve this design.

Thanks,

Steve and Kevin
VE7GOY/VE7KGV

Daniel Tickell

I am happy to print one of these up in the next day or so and give feedback :)

Daniel (KM6MZM)

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 9:19 AM <steve@...> wrote:
Hello,

VE7KGV and I designed a case to allow use of the DRAWS Hat with a Raspberry Pi and 7 inch LCD but have no way to test it because we haven't gotten a DRAWS board to play with (Hopefully in the next couple of weeks).  As a result we've only been able to design this from the spec sheet.  The full design is on Thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3387482

There are pictures there as well.

Would love any input you have on how to improve this design.

Thanks,

Steve and Kevin
VE7GOY/VE7KGV

steve@...

Awesome! Thank you!

Kenny Richards

Steve,

Could you forward the link to which LCD display you are using?

Thanks,

Kenny
KU7M

steve@...

Edited

This is using the official Raspberry Pi 7" LCD touchscreen.  https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-touch-display/

Will you offer the case for purchase?
Alex
WB1GNL

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy , an AT&T LTE smartphone

VE7KGV and I designed a case to allow use of the DRAWS Hat with a Raspberry Pi and 7 inch LCD but have no way to test it because we haven't gotten a DRAWS board to play with (Hopefully in the next couple of weeks).  As a result we've only been able to design this from the spec sheet.  The full design is on Thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3387482

There are pictures there as well.

Would love any input you have on how to improve this design.

Thanks,

Steve and Kevin
VE7GOY/VE7KGV

Kenny Richards

Thanks!

Jack Spitznagel

I really like your concept here. It would answer some of the issues that came up for me while using the SmartiPi Touch Case as far as access to microSD card and perhaps the HDMI port… I could not tell if you had left access there.

Are you are planning on using a header cable for the GPIO? Could that leave the bus more open to RFI in field use.

Folks playing with DRAWS seem to have have found it better to use the buck regulator on the DRAWS board to power the RPi . All you need is a male to male micro USB power jumper like you can get from Drone vendors to route from DRAWS to the RPi. This would eliminate the need for a separate 5V supply. I supply my rig and the DRAWS from the same power source.

The RPi touch screen is nice but issues that came up for many who tried it:

  1. Xastir, wsjt-x and fldigi all have screen configuration menus that do not allow for resizing for this display. In some cases (particularly wsjt-x) this makes configuration and use difficult because parts of the lower windows are inaccessible.
  2. Typing into the screen is very difficult, making a wireless keyboard a must in my opinion.

BTW – all the DRAWS discussions are in the UDRC subgroup – Lots of great info there.

Jack – KD4IZ

VE7KGV and I designed a case to allow use of the DRAWS Hat with a Raspberry Pi and 7 inch LCD but have no way to test it because we haven't gotten a DRAWS board to play with (Hopefully in the next couple of weeks).  As a result we've only been able to design this from the spec sheet.  The full design is on Thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3387482

There are pictures there as well.

Would love any input you have on how to improve this design.

Thanks,

Steve and Kevin
VE7GOY/VE7KGV

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

Nice looking case.

Do you have any experience adding acrylic rods so the TX LEDs can be see better with the case on?

Ed Bloom
ewbloom@...
Sent from Webmail access

VE7KGV and I designed a case to allow use of the DRAWS Hat with a Raspberry Pi and 7 inch LCD but have no way to test it because we haven't gotten a DRAWS board to play with (Hopefully in the next couple of weeks).  As a result we've only been able to design this from the spec sheet.  The full design is on Thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3387482

There are pictures there as well.

Would love any input you have on how to improve this design.

Thanks,

Steve and Kevin
VE7GOY/VE7KGV

Fred Meier

Steve and Kevin

Do you want to try it with my DRAWS? I am an early supporter in that I invest money, but I have not had time to even open the package.

We can trade back once yours arrive?

Fred VE7FMN

VE7KGV and I designed a case to allow use of the DRAWS Hat with a Raspberry Pi and 7 inch LCD but have no way to test it because we haven't gotten a DRAWS board to play with (Hopefully in the next couple of weeks).  As a result we've only been able to design this from the spec sheet.  The full design is on Thingiverse here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3387482

There are pictures there as well.

Would love any input you have on how to improve this design.

Thanks,

Steve and Kevin
VE7GOY/VE7KGV

steve@...

Hi Fred,

That would be fantastic!!!

We're on the list for the next shipment but that looks like it got delayed.  Do you want to email me privately to arrange something?

Steve

steve@...

Hi Ed,

No....but I don't see why it couldn't be done.  Let me do some research.

Steve

steve@...

Hi Jack,

Great comments!

The design does grant access to the HDMI, speaker and power jacks on the side but currently doesn't allow easy access to the SD card slot.  Working on a modification to allow that now.

Yes we had planned on using a header cable and do for the TNCs.  We've found (so far) that the Pi's LCD cable is more susceptible to RFi than the GPIO cable but that is from experience with TNC hats and not the DRAWS.  We've been able to get past the RFi on the LCD cable by putting a small ferrite core on it.

Our intent is to use the regulator on the DRAWS board rather than the buck regulator separately but as we've got no DRAWS board and we wanted to make the design somewhat independent of the HAT you choose we've designed in the ability for either approach.

The 7 inch LCD is indeed small for a lot of different use cases.  In fact I had intended to use it at WFD but found it too much of a strain on my eyes.  Something that we will have to think about going forward.

Steve

steve@...

Hi Alexander,

Although we hadn't thought of doing them for purchase we can certainly do a few as needed.  Ultimately though you might be able to find somebody locally to print one up for you from the files on Thingiverse.  There are several companies that will do the print and send it to you as well. For example : https://www.3dhubs.com/3d-printing/

ve7fmn@...

You can find my email address on my web page www.ve7fmn.ca under contacts.

Yes I can help you and am eager to.

Cheers, Fred