Topics

No UDRC listed after aplay -l

Peter Schrader

Hi there,

Forgive this NOOB question, I have just received the UDRC pi-hat and a brand new Raspberry PI3.

My intent is to setup a dual VHF/UHF 1200/9600 APRS igate/digipeater.  I am starting with the 9600 APRS first and quickly ran into a problem.  I cannot see the UDRC card listed.

Am I the only one with this issue?  And yes the card is plugged in correctly.

Cheers,

Peter  - VK4EA

Steve <coupaydeville@...>

Are you using a wall wart or the 12 volts on the UDRC? If the wall wart, is it a 2 amp or better?

Just an idea...

Peter Schrader

HI Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply, the micro-USB supply to the PI3 is 3A capable.

The instructions are not that precise on whether the UDRC requires a separate supply, did I miss something fundamental here?

Can I surmise that there are a few supply options

1.       UDRC draws power from the PI3 40way GPIO?

2.       PI3 is powered from the UDRC when 12VDC is connected to the +12V pad adjacent to the Dsub15 connector?

3.       Both are required?

Cheers,

Peter – VK4EA

Are you using a wall wart or the 12 volts on the UDRC? If the wall wart, is it a 2 amp or better?

Just an idea...

No virus found in this message.

It is not normal for the udrc to not be listed when you do an 'aplay -l' -- I am assuming you have completely removed power and reapplied it at some point.

If, by chance, you have another Pi 2 or 3 give it a go on it.  (Just move the microSD card and udrc).  If it still doesn't display, contact support@... for next steps.

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 2:39 PM, Peter Schrader <vk4ea@...> wrote:

HI Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply, the micro-USB supply to the PI3 is 3A capable.

The instructions are not that precise on whether the UDRC requires a separate supply, did I miss something fundamental here?

Can I surmise that there are a few supply options

1.       UDRC draws power from the PI3 40way GPIO?

Yes

2.       PI3 is powered from the UDRC when 12VDC is connected to the +12V pad adjacent to the Dsub15 connector?

Yes

3.       Both are required?

No and not recommended that both be fed at the same time.

Cheers,

Peter – VK4EA

Might want to move this discussion over to the subgroup at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc

On Sun, Jul 3, 2016 at 2:45 PM, John Hays <k7ve@...> wrote:
[...]

Director

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

August Treubig <atreubig@...>

Hello Peter,

What kind of repeater are you using or is this a hot spot config?

Further question:  Are you using the 15 pin connection or the mini-din?

Aug

AG5AT

Paul Johnson

Peter,

I am using the UDRC with a PI3 and the standard micro-USB supply
that came with the PI3. Works just fine. No extra power supply
connections required.

pi@pi3:~ $ uname -a
Linux pi3 4.4.10-v7+ #1 SMP Tue May 17 11:18:40 UTC 2016 armv7l
pi@pi3:~ $ aplay -l
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 8/8
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
Subdevice #7: subdevice #7
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835
IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: Universal Digital Radio Controller
tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

regards