Topics

NWDR's take on Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+?

Daniel Corwin

I personally don’t use the built on Ethernet. I’ve found in multiple setups (different network switches and Ethernet cables both shielded and not) where it caused more RFi.  My APRS iGate I’ve got home brewed right now uses WiFi with minimal rfi from an Apple 2.1a iPad charger.

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 5:32 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 1:47 PM Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:
I'm curious about NWDR's take on the Raspberry Pi 3 Model A+ that was
recently announced.

I'm curious if the form factor (lower profile) of the 3 A+ is
compatible with DRAWS?

The 40 pin GPIO is supposed to be pin compatible, so the DRAWS Hat should be able to plug into it.  We have no plans internally to use the 3A+ and they aren't available for testing so we want be able to give a definitive answer.  I am sure someone will give it a try and can share their experience with the community.

Would the 512K of RAM on the 3 A+ (vs the 1 GB of RAM on the 3 B+) be
a significant factor in not being able to use DRAWS to its full
potential?

The driver requirements are not significant, so the real question is "Will your application run in 512K along with the OS and supporting applications?"

What is probably more significant is the connectivity issues, only one USB port, no RJ-45 LAN port, etc.  By the time one adds an adapter like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072Q25TCD -- the cost savings are gone.

Also, it's shorter form factor is not going to mate well with the DRAWS custom case, so someone would need to manufacture or provide a 3-D print for it.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Not an official endorsement or support, but I have a DRAWS HAT running on a 3A+ attached to a SmartiPi display.