Von: UniversalDigitalRadio@...
[mailto:UniversalDigitalRadio@...] Im Auftrag von John D. Hays
Gesendet: Freitag, 2. Mai 2014 05:45
An: UniversalDigitalRadio@...
Betreff: Re: [UniversalDigitalRadio] PAVE/PAWS (Over-The-Horizon radar -
shades of the woodpecker - in reverse!)

Richard,

Our focus right now is getting the 70cm radio out to market.

The radio portion of the architecture can be repurposed to frequencies in
the 100-1000 mhz range (not 23cm and we don't think 2m is a good choice)
but we have to see the response to the 70cm version (e.g. how many do we
sell) before approaching other bands.

The nice thing with this price range of radio is that you should be able
to build networks of relay nodes in the valleys without the need for
mountain top, radar footprint nodes.

________________________________

<http://k7ve.org/blog> <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays>
<http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 9:12 PM, <u4gh@...> wrote:

Does anyone have ideas just how those of us living in the US near a
PAVE/PAWS installation (e.g., most of California) are going to be able to
operate this radio?

I was really looking forward to getting back into high speed digital
radio, but the US government, who have the primary allocation in the 70 cm
band is making it next to impossible to do much on 70 cm in the most
populous areas of California (including Silicon Valley). 50 W PEP is the
limit, but many of the repeaters with any visibility have been told to
reduce the power output levels by *57 dB* or more!

We're being warned that we need to keep 70 cm signals 'off the
radar', so to speak. We have to be very careful with 70 cm operation to
prevent a total shutdown of the band in this area. Ugh. This is going to
be a problem for much of the southern US: OET --47 CFR 2.106 Footnote US7
<http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/info/maps/us7/>

image <http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/info/maps/us7/>
OET --47 CFR 2.106 Footnote US7
<http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/info/maps/us7/>
Federal Communications Commission
View on transition.fcc.gov <http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/info/maps/us7/>
Preview by Yahoo

Any hope of a 23 cm (or other band) RF deck in the forseeable
future? (I know that 23 cm is still 'DC' to Dennis. :-) ).

(Or will there be a model with no power amp on it to experiment with
high speed digital QRP? :-)

- Richard, VE7CVS (/W6)

_