Topics

Processor architecture, gnuradio

Darren Long <darren.long@...>

Hi,

Can we get any ideas on what processor architecture, amount of RAM and
internal storage the device will have, please. Even the vaguest hints
are welcome at this stage. I'm wondering if gnuradio might find its way
in there somehow.

Darren, G0HWW

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

In line.

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Darren Long <darren.long@...> wrote:

Hi,

Can we get any ideas on what processor architecture,

Marvell PXA168

amount of RAM and

Currently 256 MB, may be 512 MB in production, depending on price curve for memory

internal storage the device will have, please.

microSD - probably 4 GB. It is user replaceable (not recommended), but not easily accessed (internal) -- watch for tested Manufacturer / Model.  Not all microSD are recommended for a boot device. I have a 8 GB in my lab bench unit, loaded with a development chain (compiler, linker, libraries), OS, and many applications and haven't hit 2 GB yet.

Even the vaguest hints
are welcome at this stage. I'm wondering if gnuradio might find its way
in there somehow.

It is not a software defined radio.  Modulation is performed inside the RF-IC. We really like what SDR does, but for VHF/UHF+ digital modulation there are well known techniques and the RF-IC supports most of them. Using built-in modulators keeps part count and cost down.

Darren, G0HWW

Darren Long <darren.long@...>

Hi John,

Thanks for the info.

I hadn't got my hopes up for using the rig as an SDR, but I was mostly curious about what software I might be able to run on it, and what other gadgets I might connect to its multitude of ports. Having a bunch of USB attached SDRs and knowing that radios like the Ettus USRP E100 run gnuradio on ARM architecture made me wonder what else could be bolted on to keep the CPU busy when it's not thrashing away on 70cm.

I've been using a Sheevaplug for a number of years running Debian and have been through a fair range of Nokias Linux devices too.  I have worked my way through a number of failed SD cards in that time-frame with those devices, but the MTDs used in them  have never let me down.  I assume the SD card would be accessible enough to replace in case of failure, even if it was too awkward to swap on a regular basis.

It may be time to see if I can get the Sheevaplug to do anything useful with the Funcube Dongle SDR and other gadgets.

Keep up the good work,

Cheers,

Darren, G0HWW