Topics

Show US Your DRAW Photos

David [kg5eiu]

Photos and Images/Gallery of DRAWS board, projects and more

Link To My DRAW Gallery Here

73!!  David (KG5EIU)

#Photo

Steve

Can you set up publicly viewable flag on that gallery?

Thanks,
Steve
(still waiting in the order backlog)

David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io wrote on 11/28/18 7:46 AM:

Photos and Images/Gallery of DRAWS board, projects and more
Link To My DRAW Gallery Here ( https://www.flickr.com/gp/davidcappello/LC19st )
73!!  David (KG5EIU)
#Photo

I just posted the link on our website without issue.

David, I should have contacted you first.

Mea Culpa,
Bryan K7UDR

On Nov 28, 2018, at 8:13 AM, Steve <yahoo-udr@...> wrote:

Can you set up publicly viewable flag on that gallery?

Thanks,
Steve
(still waiting in the order backlog)

David [kg5eiu] via Groups.Io wrote on 11/28/18 7:46 AM:
Photos and Images/Gallery of DRAWS board, projects and more
Link To My DRAW Gallery Here ( https://www.flickr.com/gp/davidcappello/LC19st )
73!! David (KG5EIU)
#Photo

David [kg5eiu]

Yes - set for public viewing.

Robert Sears

I just realized they made the same mistake on the DRAWS as they did on the UDRC series.

The mini-din connectors are on the same side as they were on the UDRC. This means if you try to use one on the "Smarti-Pi" cases with the touchscreen and hinged base the cables will be in the way just like they are with the UDRC.

Oh well looks like I will have to remove the connectors like I did on the UDRC2

Robert/KF7VOP

Herb Weiner

Or, you could 3D Print these Pi Stand Extenders (or order them 3D Printed for you) from Thingiverse. These are perfect for the Smarti-Pi case with my UDRC, and they should work with DRAWS as well.

Herb

On Nov 28, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

I just realized they made the same mistake on the DRAWS as they did on the UDRC series.

The mini-din connectors are on the same side as they were on the UDRC. This means if you try to use one on the "Smarti-Pi" cases with the touchscreen and hinged base the cables will be in the way just like they are with the UDRC.

Oh well looks like I will have to remove the connectors like I did on the UDRC2

Robert/KF7VOP

Thanks Herb, that is something I was hoping to find.

The location of connectors is limited by the GPIO location and the HAT standard form factor.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018, 12:11 Herb Weiner <herbw@... wrote:
Or, you could 3D Print these Pi Stand Extenders (or order them 3D Printed for you) from Thingiverse. These are perfect for the Smarti-Pi case with my UDRC, and they should work with DRAWS as well.

Herb

On Nov 28, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

I just realized they made the same mistake on the DRAWS as they did on the UDRC series.

The mini-din connectors are on the same side as they were on the UDRC. This means if you try to use one on the "Smarti-Pi" cases with the touchscreen and hinged base the cables will be in the way just like they are with the UDRC.

Oh well looks like I will have to remove the connectors like I did on the UDRC2

Robert/KF7VOP

Dave Wickert

Or maybe NWDR could have a bunch made and offer them as an accessory? Rather than each of us doing individual orders.

Just a thought.

73.

_-_-_ Dave, AE7TD

Or, you could 3D Print these Pi Stand Extenders (or order them 3D Printed for you) from Thingiverse. These are perfect for the Smarti-Pi case with my UDRC, and they should work with DRAWS as well.

Herb

On Nov 28, 2018, at 11:51 AM, Robert Sears <kf7vop@...> wrote:

I just realized they made the same mistake on the DRAWS as they did on the UDRC series.

The mini-din connectors are on the same side as they were on the UDRC. This means if you try to use one on the "Smarti-Pi" cases with the touchscreen and hinged base the cables will be in the way just like they are with the UDRC.

Oh well looks like I will have to remove the connectors like I did on the UDRC2

Robert/KF7VOP

Basil Gunn

I just realized they made the same mistake on the DRAWS as they did on the UDRC series.
Not really a mistake if you use the superior SunFounder 7" monitor
(1024x600) which would have the HAT cables come out the top.
https://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Inch-Monitor-HDMI-Raspberry/dp/B073GYBS93/ref=sr_1_4

I personally prefer the Sunfounder 10" display with 1280x800 resolution
that allows enough screen real estate to run a mail client or
Xastir. With the 10" screen the cables face the bottom but the RPi is
mounted at the top of the display with plenty of room for the cables.

The 7" & 10" Sunfounders come with a built in speaker, RPi mounting
pieces & an HDMI cable to mate with the RPi. I believe (could be wrong)
both sizes come with a touch screen option.

The 800x400 Smart-Pi display was good for my console winlink apps, mutt
with paclink-unix, but really didn't cut it for anything with a gui.

/Basil

The mini-din connectors are on the same side as they were on the UDRC. This means if you try to use one on the "Smarti-Pi" cases with the touchscreen and hinged base the cables will be in the way just like they are with the UDRC.

Oh well looks like I will have to remove the connectors like I did on the UDRC2
Or just buy a better video screen.

/Basil n7nix

Basil Gunn

I gave the wrong url for the Sunfounder displays that I've used.
These are the correct urls for the 7" & 10" LCD displays.

https://www.sunfounder.com/7-inch-hdmi-lcd.html
https://www.sunfounder.com/10-1-inch-hdmi-lcd.html

One more feature that I like is they run on 12V.
/Basil

Basil Gunn <@basil860> writes:

[...]

I’m going to order some and will check them out.

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR

On Nov 28, 2018, at 4:20 PM, Dave Wickert <dwickert@...> wrote:

[...]

Great idea. Please inform the group when available.
73's
A. Gish WB1GNL

Peter McC

UGH! Terrible site for mobile - in my iPad I get a pop up with the cancel button off the screen!

- Peter

Basil Gunn <@basil860> writes:

[...]

Annaliese McDermond

If you’d like to see what some of the NWDR developers are working on with their boards, I have written a quick page on my current DRAWS project, a combination 2m APRS digipeater and 70cm digital mode repeater using mmdvm-udrc. Hardware build information and pictures are up there right now, and I’ll be posting config snippets to share as I finish the rest of the process with setup. https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS™-Based-Digipeater-and-Repeater

For those of you wanting to use virtual sound cards with the DRAWS/UDRC, know that that functionality is critical to my project, so I’m trying to find the bugs and make that a viable option. There are no guarantees of success here, but I’ll be posting results as I find them out.

I’m happy to answer questions as I can, but please understand that I have a day job, and am not retired like the majority of Ham operators :). That means that my “Amateur Time Units” (Thanks Bill) are limited, and sometimes I’d rather spend them working on a solution for problems than responding to questions here.

I’m happy to hear that people are passionate and enjoying their DRAWS™ boards. It’s one of the things that makes my work with NWDR worthwhile.

--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
nh6z@...

William Franzin

Hey folks. I went shopping for my kids tonight and found the perfect DRAWS Pi setup.

Check out this kids toy! - which is on sale in Canada for $150 CAD for another 1h45 min at BestBuy.

It's a Pi3 kit with battery pack, 1280x800 LCD, wireless keyboard, USB hub etc. This is perfect.

Basil Gunn <basil@...> writes:

>> I just realized they made the same mistake on the DRAWS as they did on the UDRC series.
>
> Not really a mistake if you use the superior SunFounder 7" monitor
> (1024x600) which would have the HAT cables come out the top.
> https://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Inch-Monitor-HDMI-Raspberry/dp/B073GYBS93/ref=sr_1_4
>
> I personally prefer the Sunfounder 10" display with 1280x800 resolution
> that allows enough screen real estate to run a mail client or
> Xastir. With the 10" screen the cables face the bottom but the RPi is
> mounted at the top of the display with plenty of room for the cables.
>
> The 7" & 10" Sunfounders come with a built in speaker, RPi mounting
> pieces & an HDMI cable to mate with the RPi. I believe (could be wrong)
> both sizes come with a touch screen option.
>
> The 800x400 Smart-Pi display was good for my console winlink apps, mutt
> with paclink-unix, but really didn't cut it for anything with a gui.
>
> /Basil
>

>> The mini-din connectors are on the same side as they were on the UDRC. This means if you try to use one on the "Smarti-Pi" cases with the touchscreen and hinged base the cables will be in the way just like they are with the UDRC.
>>
>> Oh well looks like I will have to remove the connectors like I did on the UDRC2
>
> Or just buy a better video screen.
>
> /Basil n7nix

Budd Churchward

Looking at the photo of the case from the rear, you can see that the Rpi header is occupied by a board with a connector coming from it. That is where you need to install the DRAWS board.

Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2018 10:18 PM

Basil Gunn <basil@...> writes:

>> I just realized they made the same mistake on the DRAWS as they did on the UDRC series.
>
> Not really a mistake if you use the superior SunFounder 7" monitor
> (1024x600) which would have the HAT cables come out the top.
> https://www.amazon.com/SunFounder-Inch-Monitor-HDMI-Raspberry/dp/B073GYBS93/ref=sr_1_4
>
> I personally prefer the Sunfounder 10" display with 1280x800 resolution
> that allows enough screen real estate to run a mail client or
> Xastir. With the 10" screen the cables face the bottom but the RPi is
> mounted at the top of the display with plenty of room for the cables.
>
> The 7" & 10" Sunfounders come with a built in speaker, RPi mounting
> pieces & an HDMI cable to mate with the RPi. I believe (could be wrong)
> both sizes come with a touch screen option.
>
> The 800x400 Smart-Pi display was good for my console winlink apps, mutt
> with paclink-unix, but really didn't cut it for anything with a gui.
>
> /Basil
>

>> The mini-din connectors are on the same side as they were on the UDRC. This means if you try to use one on the "Smarti-Pi" cases with the touchscreen and hinged base the cables will be in the way just like they are with the UDRC.
>>
>> Oh well looks like I will have to remove the connectors like I did on the UDRC2
>
> Or just buy a better video screen.
>
> /Basil n7nix

William Franzin

Correct. The stock power button is a pi hat connected to the usb battery pack.

Based on the angle that also means the draws board should fit easily inside. I'm going to use a laser cutter on the side to cut holes for the mini din connectors.

For power it appears the 2x18650 pack is configured something like a ups. For a home setup I think this will work well with just a little mod work.

There's also enough room for the AMBE stick which I'll be using for transcoding. I'm working on voice control projects and will be using draws for digital voice.

This is what I've been up to:

Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2018 10:18 PM