Topics

ThumbDV and Mac OS

Dick Herrick
 

Folks, I'm new to this site and D-Star, so I know I need to get education from many available sources.  In the meantime, I have the unit, and the notes on this company's website don't seem to help too much.   Didn't find anything for Mac on YouTube either.  NWDigital said ...

Buster works with the native FTDI driver supplied by Apple.

So where is this "native" driver from Apple?  I downloaded Buster, and there was a link to FTDI for a driver.  However, that appears to be code (SUDO) that I would need to enter manually.  Is that how it's supposed to work?

Thanks for any info you can provide ...

DIck
K8WWN (57 years a ham)

Kenny Richards
 

Dick,

Did you install Buster via the Apple App Store or did you download the code from GitHub?  The installation process should roughly go like this:

1) Launch App store, search for Buster and install it. (It is a free app)

2) Plug the ThumbDV into a USB port on your Mac.

3) Launch Buster

Buster's default config should select the ThumbDV automatically. Like the NWDigital Site says, the necessary FTDI driver (which is a USB to serial port driver) is included with the MacOS installations. (At least for the last three, not sure before El Captain)

Thanks

Kenny

Dick Herrick
 

Thanks, Kenny, for the rapid response.  

I have a recent MacBook Pro laptop.  I’m an experienced Mac user from the “early days."

I did download from the App Store.

I believe I had the ThumbDV in the USB port BEFORE I downloaded and launched the Buster app.

Perhaps the wrong sequence.

After that, I”ll need to see how to populate the fields in the Buster window.  Again, I admit I need more education on this, and there are many places for it.

CW is so much easier !!!!!!

Thanks again.


Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Aug 8, 2018, at 5:58 PM, Kenny Richards <kenny@...> wrote:

Dick,

Did you install Buster via the Apple App Store or did you download the code from GitHub?  The installation process should roughly go like this:

1) Launch App store, search for Buster and install it. (It is a free app)

2) Plug the ThumbDV into a USB port on your Mac.

3) Launch Buster

Buster's default config should select the ThumbDV automatically. Like the NWDigital Site says, the necessary FTDI driver (which is a USB to serial port driver) is included with the MacOS installations. (At least for the last three, not sure before El Captain)

Thanks

Kenny


Kenny Richards
 

Dick,

Attached is two screen shots. The first shows the System Report with the ThumbDV installed. Notice it is reported to the system as a FT232EX, which is the USB to serial chip used in the ThumbDV to provide access to the AMBE chip. (Click "about this mac', system report and then USB)

The second screen shot is from Buster's preferences, specifically the VoCoder tab. This is what you will see when Buster has successfully accessed the ThumbDV. This should happen automatically unless you have previously told Buster to use the network vocoder option previously. Worst case is just select the Thumb DV option.

If these two things look correct, it sounds like everything is working. Have you tried connecting to a busy reflector (REF001C or REF030C are two good starting points) and seen if you are able to connect/hear anything?

Thanks
Kenny




Kenny Richards
 

Dick,

I forgot to mention something. To connect to a reflector, hit the "+" button on the lower right side of the screen and enter the reflector to connect to. To busy ones are REF001 C (So REF001 on the left box and select C on the drop down to the right) and then add.  When it is added to your list, double click on it to have Buster connect.

Thanks

Kenny

Dick Herrick
 

GM.

Mac “sees” the ThumbDV
I’ve entered the reflector REF001 C to get started.
Preferences for Buster says “Vocoder not found”
Buster window shows a list of contacts with “Your” saying CQCQCQ which makes it look like I am calling.
I hear nothing coming out of the Mac.
I’ve Unlinked at this point.

I think the vocoder not being found is an issue.


Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Aug 8, 2018, at 11:53 PM, Kenny Richards <kenny@...> wrote:

Dick,

I forgot to mention something. To connect to a reflector, hit the "+" button on the lower right side of the screen and enter the reflector to connect to. To busy ones are REF001 C (So REF001 on the left box and select C on the drop down to the right) and then add.  When it is added to your list, double click on it to have Buster connect.

Thanks

Kenny


Annaliese McDermond
 

Dick —

Start up Buster
Go to the Preferences pane, and select the Vocoder tab.
Make sure there is a device selected in the dropdown.
Change the baud rate to 460800
Wait 1 second.
Remove the ThumbDV from the USB port
Wait 1 second
Replaced the ThumbDV in the USB port.
The Version fields should populate.  This shows that Buster is talking to the ThumbDV.

— Anna, NH6Z

On Aug 9, 2018, at 5:07 AM, Dick Herrick via Groups.Io <rjherrickpe@...> wrote:

GM.

Mac “sees” the ThumbDV
I’ve entered the reflector REF001 C to get started.
Preferences for Buster says “Vocoder not found”
Buster window shows a list of contacts with “Your” saying CQCQCQ which makes it look like I am calling.
I hear nothing coming out of the Mac.
I’ve Unlinked at this point.

I think the vocoder not being found is an issue.


Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Aug 8, 2018, at 11:53 PM, Kenny Richards <kenny@...> wrote:

Dick,

I forgot to mention something. To connect to a reflector, hit the "+" button on the lower right side of the screen and enter the reflector to connect to. To busy ones are REF001 C (So REF001 on the left box and select C on the drop down to the right) and then add.  When it is added to your list, double click on it to have Buster connect.

Thanks

Kenny



Dick Herrick
 

Ha!  Of course you would have the answer as the author of the software.

It did indeed recognize the ThumbDV and the vocoder.  Is this something I would need to do every time or just an initial situation?

Blessings, and thanks for your creativity …



Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Aug 9, 2018, at 12:33 PM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:

Dick —

Start up Buster
Go to the Preferences pane, and select the Vocoder tab.
Make sure there is a device selected in the dropdown.
Change the baud rate to 460800
Wait 1 second.
Remove the ThumbDV from the USB port
Wait 1 second
Replaced the ThumbDV in the USB port.
The Version fields should populate.  This shows that Buster is talking to the ThumbDV.

— Anna, NH6Z

On Aug 9, 2018, at 5:07 AM, Dick Herrick via Groups.Io <rjherrickpe@...> wrote:

GM.

Mac “sees” the ThumbDV
I’ve entered the reflector REF001 C to get started.
Preferences for Buster says “Vocoder not found”
Buster window shows a list of contacts with “Your” saying CQCQCQ which makes it look like I am calling.
I hear nothing coming out of the Mac.
I’ve Unlinked at this point.

I think the vocoder not being found is an issue.


Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Aug 8, 2018, at 11:53 PM, Kenny Richards <kenny@...> wrote:

Dick,

I forgot to mention something. To connect to a reflector, hit the "+" button on the lower right side of the screen and enter the reflector to connect to. To busy ones are REF001 C (So REF001 on the left box and select C on the drop down to the right) and then add.  When it is added to your list, double click on it to have Buster connect.

Thanks

Kenny




Annaliese McDermond
 


On Aug 9, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Dick Herrick via Groups.Io <rjherrickpe@...> wrote:

Ha!  Of course you would have the answer as the author of the software.

It did indeed recognize the ThumbDV and the vocoder.  Is this something I would need to do every time or just an initial situation?

Just the first time.  What happens is that Buster initially defaults to the 230400 baud rate.  On first launch, it tries to talk to the ThumbDV at the wrong baud rate, and you get the “cannot talk to vocoder” dialog box.  The issue is that the wrong baud rate confuses the AMBE chip on the ThumbDV, so it essentially locks up.  Even if you now set the correct baud rate, it won’t work.  So, you have to get the baud rate set, and then reset the ThumbDV by reinserting it.  This makes it talk and everything’s good.  Buster will now remember this good configuration until you change it to something else.

On some reflection, what I probably should do is default the baud rate to 0, which guarantees things will fail without talking to the ThumbDV.  Then when people reset it, things are all good.

Anyhow, I’m glad you could get it to work.  Have fun with it!


Blessings, and thanks for your creativity …



Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

— Anna, NH6Z,_._,_

Dick Herrick
 

Anna,

Let me know where I can donate to your ongoing efforts.


Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Aug 9, 2018, at 12:43 PM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:


On Aug 9, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Dick Herrick via Groups.Io <rjherrickpe@...> wrote:

Ha!  Of course you would have the answer as the author of the software.

It did indeed recognize the ThumbDV and the vocoder.  Is this something I would need to do every time or just an initial situation?

Just the first time.  What happens is that Buster initially defaults to the 230400 baud rate.  On first launch, it tries to talk to the ThumbDV at the wrong baud rate, and you get the “cannot talk to vocoder” dialog box.  The issue is that the wrong baud rate confuses the AMBE chip on the ThumbDV, so it essentially locks up.  Even if you now set the correct baud rate, it won’t work.  So, you have to get the baud rate set, and then reset the ThumbDV by reinserting it.  This makes it talk and everything’s good.  Buster will now remember this good configuration until you change it to something else.

On some reflection, what I probably should do is default the baud rate to 0, which guarantees things will fail without talking to the ThumbDV.  Then when people reset it, things are all good.

Anyhow, I’m glad you could get it to work.  Have fun with it!


Blessings, and thanks for your creativity …



Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

— Anna, NH6Z,_._,_


Dick Herrick
 

Anna

Sorry i’m still fumbling a bit.

Working now.
Listening fine on REF001 C.
I’ve set the space bar as the transmit button.
I would expect my calling to show up in the list of the Buster window, but it does not.
I do hear the chirp indicating that I’ve “done something”
The Yellow LED in the ThumbDV does light when I press that space bar.
Still I am apparently not transmitting.
Audio settings appear OK


Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Aug 9, 2018, at 12:43 PM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:


On Aug 9, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Dick Herrick via Groups.Io <rjherrickpe@...> wrote:

Ha!  Of course you would have the answer as the author of the software.

It did indeed recognize the ThumbDV and the vocoder.  Is this something I would need to do every time or just an initial situation?

Just the first time.  What happens is that Buster initially defaults to the 230400 baud rate.  On first launch, it tries to talk to the ThumbDV at the wrong baud rate, and you get the “cannot talk to vocoder” dialog box.  The issue is that the wrong baud rate confuses the AMBE chip on the ThumbDV, so it essentially locks up.  Even if you now set the correct baud rate, it won’t work.  So, you have to get the baud rate set, and then reset the ThumbDV by reinserting it.  This makes it talk and everything’s good.  Buster will now remember this good configuration until you change it to something else.

On some reflection, what I probably should do is default the baud rate to 0, which guarantees things will fail without talking to the ThumbDV.  Then when people reset it, things are all good.

Anyhow, I’m glad you could get it to work.  Have fun with it!


Blessings, and thanks for your creativity …



Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

— Anna, NH6Z,_._,_


 

Dick,

If I found the right Richard Herrick on QRZ.com, you don't appear to be registered with US Trust.


To register, go to https://regist.dstargateway.org  (It will take a while for you to get approved, it's not automated.)

This will get you access to REFxxx reflectors, in the interim try XRF002 C and see if you have luck there, registration not required for XRF reflectors.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Dick Herrick via Groups.Io <rjherrickpe@...> wrote:
Anna

Sorry i’m still fumbling a bit.

Working now.
Listening fine on REF001 C.
I’ve set the space bar as the transmit button.
I would expect my calling to show up in the list of the Buster window, but it does not.
I do hear the chirp indicating that I’ve “done something”
The Yellow LED in the ThumbDV does light when I press that space bar.
Still I am apparently not transmitting.
Audio settings appear OK


Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Aug 9, 2018, at 12:43 PM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:


On Aug 9, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Dick Herrick via Groups.Io <rjherrickpe@...> wrote:

Ha!  Of course you would have the answer as the author of the software.

It did indeed recognize the ThumbDV and the vocoder.  Is this something I would need to do every time or just an initial situation?

Just the first time.  What happens is that Buster initially defaults to the 230400 baud rate.  On first launch, it tries to talk to the ThumbDV at the wrong baud rate, and you get the “cannot talk to vocoder” dialog box.  The issue is that the wrong baud rate confuses the AMBE chip on the ThumbDV, so it essentially locks up.  Even if you now set the correct baud rate, it won’t work.  So, you have to get the baud rate set, and then reset the ThumbDV by reinserting it.  This makes it talk and everything’s good.  Buster will now remember this good configuration until you change it to something else.

On some reflection, what I probably should do is default the baud rate to 0, which guarantees things will fail without talking to the ThumbDV.  Then when people reset it, things are all good.

Anyhow, I’m glad you could get it to work.  Have fun with it!


Blessings, and thanks for your creativity …



Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

— Anna, NH6Z,_._,_





--


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

   

Dick Herrick
 

Thanks.  Similar to DMR then.  No, I didn’t know about the registering.

I’m going to catch a few Youtube videos or articles to get properly educated. 

Thanks for the reference.


Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Aug 9, 2018, at 5:14 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

Dick,

If I found the right Richard Herrick on QRZ.com, you don't appear to be registered with US Trust.


To register, go to https://regist.dstargateway.org  (It will take a while for you to get approved, it's not automated.)

This will get you access to REFxxx reflectors, in the interim try XRF002 C and see if you have luck there, registration not required for XRF reflectors.

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Dick Herrick via Groups.Io <rjherrickpe@...> wrote:
Anna

Sorry i’m still fumbling a bit.

Working now.
Listening fine on REF001 C.
I’ve set the space bar as the transmit button.
I would expect my calling to show up in the list of the Buster window, but it does not.
I do hear the chirp indicating that I’ve “done something”
The Yellow LED in the ThumbDV does light when I press that space bar.
Still I am apparently not transmitting.
Audio settings appear OK


Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

On Aug 9, 2018, at 12:43 PM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:


On Aug 9, 2018, at 9:36 AM, Dick Herrick via Groups.Io <rjherrickpe@...> wrote:

Ha!  Of course you would have the answer as the author of the software.

It did indeed recognize the ThumbDV and the vocoder.  Is this something I would need to do every time or just an initial situation?

Just the first time.  What happens is that Buster initially defaults to the 230400 baud rate.  On first launch, it tries to talk to the ThumbDV at the wrong baud rate, and you get the “cannot talk to vocoder” dialog box.  The issue is that the wrong baud rate confuses the AMBE chip on the ThumbDV, so it essentially locks up.  Even if you now set the correct baud rate, it won’t work.  So, you have to get the baud rate set, and then reset the ThumbDV by reinserting it.  This makes it talk and everything’s good.  Buster will now remember this good configuration until you change it to something else.

On some reflection, what I probably should do is default the baud rate to 0, which guarantees things will fail without talking to the ThumbDV.  Then when people reset it, things are all good.

Anyhow, I’m glad you could get it to work.  Have fun with it!


Blessings, and thanks for your creativity …



Dick Herrick, BEE, PE
rjherrickpe@...

(Office) 704-509-2882
(Cell)    704-995-1522

— Anna, NH6Z,_._,_







-- 


John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE