Topics

ThumbDV + DMR + Mac?

Michael Marusin

Hey everyone - does anyone know of options to access DMR through a ThumbDV on a Mac?
I know Buster supports DStar but am unaware of any other options to be able to connect to DMR while on a Mac. I travel a lot for work with my laptop and not carrying around a RPi or anything along those lines. Thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
KC9YFH

Brad McConahay - N8QQ

Hi Mike,

You've probably already thought of this, but I do it occasionally using a Windows virtual machine and BlueDV on a MacBook Pro.

I already run VMWare Fusion with a Windows VM for many other things where no Mac solution exists and I'm not sure I'd run a VM *just* to run DMR with a ThumbDV. But it is an option that works fairly well and will let you run both DMR and D-STAR at the same time.

Brad N8QQ

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 12:34 PM, Michael Marusin <mike@...> wrote:
Hey everyone - does anyone know of options to access DMR through a ThumbDV on a Mac?
I know Buster supports DStar but am unaware of any other options to be able to connect to DMR while on a Mac. I travel a lot for work with my laptop and not carrying around a RPi or anything along those lines. Thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
KC9YFH

Steve Stroh

Mike:

NWDR has discussed this several times in talks that I've attended,
that implementing a DMR compatible mode for Thumb DV and their other
voice codec products is fraught with peril over patent issues by
Motorola, and thus they don't intend to directly support DMR.

If it were me in your situation, I'd buy one of the small hotspots
that support multiple voice modes that include DMR. It's not that much
more to carry, and it's plug and play, unlike a Raspberry Pi solution.
I'd get one that supports Ethernet so you can just plug it into your
Mac's Ethernet port when it's on Wi-Fi.

Steve N8GNJ

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Michael Marusin <mike@...> wrote:
Hey everyone - does anyone know of options to access DMR through a ThumbDV
on a Mac?
I know Buster supports DStar but am unaware of any other options to be able
to connect to DMR while on a Mac. I travel a lot for work with my laptop and
not carrying around a RPi or anything along those lines. Thoughts /
suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
KC9YFH
_._,_._,_
--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Annaliese McDermond

Just a statement from the author:

If someone would like DMR support in Buster, the source code is available on my GitHub account.  I would be happy to take a pull request with DMR support as long as it’s well written.  That being said, I have no interest personally in DMR, so I won’t be spending my time on writing that support.  Open source projects like this are largely “scratch your own itch” based as far as features go.  DMR support isn’t my itch, but I’m not going to stop anyone else from scratching theirs.  And, no, monetary donations because you can’t code aren’t going to make DMR become any more itchy to me.

— Anna, NH6Z

On Aug 1, 2018, at 9:34 AM, Michael Marusin <mike@...> wrote:

Hey everyone - does anyone know of options to access DMR through a ThumbDV on a Mac?
I know Buster supports DStar but am unaware of any other options to be able to connect to DMR while on a Mac. I travel a lot for work with my laptop and not carrying around a RPi or anything along those lines. Thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
KC9YFH

Annaliese McDermond

And to be crystal clear on this:

Buster is *NOT* a NWDR product. It is a personal project I started to scratch a personal itch I had. I released it to others in hopes that it would be useful. It is not in any way supported by NWDR other than making the hardware that I support. Yes, I am a partner in NWDR, but Buster is separate from that position.

— Anna, NH6Z

On Aug 1, 2018, at 10:10 AM, Steve Stroh <steve.stroh@...> wrote:

[...]

Apologies for my inadvertently conflating Buster and NWDR's products.

In my reply, I was specifically referring to (but not being explicit
about) products made (or proposed) by NWDR, such as the late, and very
lamented UDRX radio, and overall explaining that NWDR seems very
cautious about DMR.

In talks he's given over the years, Bryan K7UDR was asked several
times if the UDRX would support digital voice modes such as D-Star,
DMR, P25, etc. Bryan explained the issue with Motorola asserting
various patents relating to DMR, and then said that because of that,
NWDR wouldn't, itself, be supporting DMR, but that with the right
software (NOT supplied by NWDR), its products could do DMR... the
entire point of open source software.

Thanks,

Steve N8GNJ

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 10:15 AM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:
And to be crystal clear on this:

Buster is *NOT* a NWDR product. It is a personal project I started to scratch a personal itch I had. I released it to others in hopes that it would be useful. It is not in any way supported by NWDR other than making the hardware that I support. Yes, I am a partner in NWDR, but Buster is separate from that position.

— Anna, NH6Z
--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Mike - KB8ZGL <wolthuis@...>

So, one thought, not sure who has played with it. Many of the XLX reflectors (ie. XLX004 A - that I run) has a transcoder (produced by NWDR) on it. Thus XLX004 A is really MI5 SW2 DMR.

I just downloaded Buster (thanks for the headsup on that) and have it tied to my network DV3000. I connected to XLX004 A and am transcoding D-STAR to DMR.... Lots of testing yet, but it is fun.

Mike
Kb8zgl

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Eubank, Greg (MVA) <Greg.Eubank@...>

I believe that DMR is not the issue, but infringing on the Motorola PROPRIETARY version of DMR (Called Moto TRBO) is the issue at hand. There are several other flavors of DMR, DMR Tier-1 and Tier-2, which I believe do NOT infringe on the TRBO patent. Please correct me if I am WRONG,

- Greg -

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Jonathan Naylor

Motorola have made it abundantly clear that they have no issues with DMR in the amateur world. That is why I don’t want MMDVMs being used for commercial purposes on DMR, P25 or NXDN (I know this one isn’t Motorola).

There is a UDRC version of the MMDVM for all modes and DMR is DMO mode only.

Also I think if someone did a DMR version of the D-Star Dummy Repeater, that not being RF TDMA, it’d probably fall outside of all of their IP anyway.

Jonathan G4KLX

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Eubank, Greg (MVA) <Greg.Eubank@...> wrote:
I believe that DMR is not the issue, but infringing on the Motorola PROPRIETARY version of DMR (Called Moto TRBO) is the issue at hand.  There are several other flavors of DMR, DMR Tier-1 and Tier-2, which I believe do NOT infringe on the TRBO patent.  Please correct me if I am WRONG,

- Greg -

NWDR has discussed this several times in talks that I've attended, that implementing a DMR compatible mode for Thumb DV and their other voice codec products is fraught with peril over patent issues by Motorola, and thus they don't intend to directly support DMR.

If it were me in your situation, I'd buy one of the small hotspots that support multiple voice modes that include DMR. It's not that much more to carry, and it's plug and play, unlike a Raspberry Pi solution.
I'd get one that supports Ethernet so you can just plug it into your Mac's Ethernet port when it's on Wi-Fi.

Steve N8GNJ

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Michael Marusin <mike@...> wrote:
> Hey everyone - does anyone know of options to access DMR through a
> ThumbDV on a Mac?
> I know Buster supports DStar but am unaware of any other options to be
> able to connect to DMR while on a Mac. I travel a lot for work with my
> laptop and not carrying around a RPi or anything along those lines.
> Thoughts / suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
> KC9YFH

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Steve N4IRS

I think this may have gotten a little off track. I think the OP was looking for a method of connecting to the existing DMR networks from his MAC. I know there is a Linux version of such a program. I don't know if the author would be interested in porting to a MAC.
I'll ask.

Steve N4IRS

On 8/1/2018 3:53 PM, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Eubank, Greg (MVA) <Greg.Eubank@...> wrote:
I believe that DMR is not the issue, but infringing on the Motorola PROPRIETARY version of DMR (Called Moto TRBO) is the issue at hand.  There are several other flavors of DMR, DMR Tier-1 and Tier-2, which I believe do NOT infringe on the TRBO patent.  Please correct me if I am WRONG,

- Greg -

NWDR has discussed this several times in talks that I've attended, that implementing a DMR compatible mode for Thumb DV and their other voice codec products is fraught with peril over patent issues by Motorola, and thus they don't intend to directly support DMR.

If it were me in your situation, I'd buy one of the small hotspots that support multiple voice modes that include DMR. It's not that much more to carry, and it's plug and play, unlike a Raspberry Pi solution.
I'd get one that supports Ethernet so you can just plug it into your Mac's Ethernet port when it's on Wi-Fi.

Steve N8GNJ

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Michael Marusin <mike@...> wrote:
> Hey everyone - does anyone know of options to access DMR through a
> ThumbDV on a Mac?
> I know Buster supports DStar but am unaware of any other options to be
> able to connect to DMR while on a Mac. I travel a lot for work with my
> laptop and not carrying around a RPi or anything along those lines.
> Thoughts / suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
> KC9YFH