Topics

thumbdv problems

gm4jnw@...

Have got the latest DV3000U thumbdv - had an earlier one when they first came out but got tempted and sold it but did use it HOWEVER.

Since i had the old one i have updated to windows 10 on one laptop and downloaded Buster on my macbook pro with el captain on 10.11.2

Firstly the mac as thats my preferred option.

Followed the step by step guide on the read me rtf file - i.e.: compiling in terminal etc

all directories seem to be in place when i plug in the thumbdv while buster is open it picks up /dev/cu.usbserial-DA01PT5C

so i presume its picking up the usb device ok.

The thumbdv flashes when plugging it in but only once and the led does not stay on.

at the bottom of buster it say

Product id: vocoder not found

Version: vocoder not found

I have been through all the instructions about making directories etc etc and i can't find a fault

Am I missing something - shame its not a simple application install

NEXT:

Windows 10

More straight forward WinDV installs fine

all drivers install fine usb assigned to Com10 - unplug it and plug it in all ok.

Try to run DV node and it crashes and just says DV node has stopped working (thanks windows it never started) windows will close the program and notify you of a solution BUT it doesn't

I think its an issue with windows 10 but i cannot revert back to windows 7 as I'm too late.

Would appreciate any help - thanks

My personal email address is: gm4jnw@...

I don't want to contact Waters and Stanton yet as I'm sure its not an issue with the device

Jeremy McDermond <mcdermj@...>

On Jan 5, 2016, at 3:59 AM, gm4jnw@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:
Firstly the mac as thats my preferred option.

Followed the step by step guide on the read me rtf file - i.e.: compiling in terminal etc

all directories seem to be in place when i plug in the thumbdv while buster is open it picks up /dev/cu.usbserial-DA01PT5C

so i presume its picking up the usb device ok.

The thumbdv flashes when plugging it in but only once and the led does not stay on.

at the bottom of buster it say

Product id: vocoder not found

Version: vocoder not found

I have been through al l the instructions about making directories etc etc and i can't find a fault

Am I missing something - shame its not a simple application install
I’m really lost here. What readme RTF file are you talking about? Unless I’m going senile at a very early age, I don’t recall shipping any RTF files with Buster.

It *IS* a simple application install. I don’t know where you’re getting the idea it isn’t. MacOS X “Mavericks” and “El Capitan” both come with the appropriate drivers already installed. You do not need to install any other drivers. Otherwise it’s just downloading it from the App Store and launching it. There should be no compiling or command line anything involved.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems

"Randall C. Wilkinson" <randy@...>

On two Windows 10 desktop computers I use, I had the same problem. When you try to start WinDV, it stops working abruptly and exits, giving no reason for why. Windows just says DVnode has stopped working.

I fixed it by upgrading to the latest FTDI chip drivers from here:  http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

Randy-W4LKS
Spokane, WA

On 1/5/2016 3:59 AM, gm4jnw@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] wrote:

Windows 10

More straight forward WinDV installs fine

all drivers install fine usb assigned to Com10 - unplug it and plug it in all ok.

Try to run DV node and it crashes and just says DV node has stopped working (thanks windows it never started) windows will close the program and notify you of a solution BUT it doesn't

I think its an issue with windows 10 but i cannot revert back to windows 7 as I'm too late.

Barry Winters <k7baw@...>

For what its worth: Initially, I had similar problem with Buster and ThumbDV on my MacBook Pro. Following Jeremy’s advice, I unplugged and replugged the ThumbDV and it was fully seen, and now operates without any issue. Have been using it regularly for over a week. Buster is a superb piece of programming. Only question I still have is instructions for writing the push to talk button in Preferences.

73 de K7BAW
Barry

Les Norton <gm4jnw@...>

Thanks Barry.
I ve actually started another thread on the problem but already done all that.
I like buster but as you say the ptt push down rather than click to transmit takes some getting used to, especially if you have used windv
The other posting i have made is about audio break up which with the help of members I’m tracking down but haven’t sorted yet as the break up is the same on buster and windv (2 separate computers)
I won’t go into all the issues but you can maybe check out my other posting.

On 5 Jan 2016, at 23:30, Barry Winters k7baw@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

For what its worth: Initially, I had similar problem with Buster and ThumbDV on my MacBook Pro. Following Jeremy’s advice, I unplugged and replugged the ThumbDV and it was fully seen, and now operates without any issue. Have been using it regularly for over a week. Buster is a superb piece of programming. Only question I still have is instructions for writing the push to talk button in Preferences.

73 de K7BAW
Barry

mi0ceo_geo@...

Hi I assume that when you run Win DV node that the Programme looks greyed out and that it just shuts down.

I had this problem with Win 10 there is a simple cure.

1 You need to edit your registry files to remove all references to Win dv

Run "regedit" when the screen comes up navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER then SOFTWARE look down the list for "MicroWalt Corporation" Right click and Delete this.

you can now reinstall the Win DV software but run it in compatibility mode for Windows 7 this should sort out the problems that you where having.

You will have to go through the full setup options again DO NOT FORGET to change the baud rate to 460800.

This worked for me but BEWARE DO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Best George

ferret10987654321@...

Actually I had this problem and it was the speed rate 4600 I believe was the setting and problem over works fine

73s M0MBV

 Martin Hennessey ,