Topics

UDR56K-4 current draw / fuse

Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahoo@...>

I'm doing station power planning (West Mountain RigRunner 4012), and I note that the first set of specs said 12vDC @ 5A, but the more recent one says 6A.  Questions:
  1. Does that change w/ the AMBE board?
  2. Does that include the possible max draw from the USB ports?
  3. What fuse capacity do you recommend (5A, 7.5A, or 10A)?
  4. Is the UDR internally fused?
  5. Someone previously asked about the power connector.  I got the impression that it was not a standard connector, but you will provide both halves, or a cable (length?) that mates to the connector.  True?
  6. Dimensions (including footprint)?
  7. On how many sides are connectors (this also affects location planning)?  Any externally-visible LEDs (eg, On/TX/RX), or a header for the user to connect same?

-- Dean

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>

Answers

1. Does that change w/ the AMBE board?
not significantly

2. Does that include the possible max draw from the USB ports?
no

3. What fuse capacity do you recommend (5A, 7.5A, or 10A)?
10A

4. Is the UDR internally fused?
no, but the USB power has a 2A polysilicon resettable fuse

5. Someone previously asked about the power connector. I got the
impression that it was not a standard connector, but you will
provide both halves, or a cable (length?) that mates to the
connector. True?
It is a standard Molex RAST-5 connector (2 pcb mount RA fast-on lugs on 5mm centers in a Polarized latching shell)

We provide a 2m 14awg unfused cable with mating connector

6. Dimensions (including footprint)?
L x W x H: 180 x 120 x 80 mm

7. On how many sides are connectors (this also affects location
planning)? Any externally-visible LEDs (eg, On/TX/RX), or a header
for the user to connect same?
Front: Ethernet w link/activity LED and USB
Red-Green Led for CPU
Red-Green LED for Radio

Rear: RF and Power

-- Dean

Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahoo@...>

Thank you;  that's very helpful.  I've reformatted your answers for ease of reading, and for possible inclusion in an FAQ.

On 2013-04-12 09:35, Dean Gibson AE7Q wrote:
I'm doing station power planning (West Mountain RigRunner 4012), and I note that the first set of specs said 12vDC @ 5A, but the more recent one says 6A.  Questions:
  1. Q: Does that change w/ the AMBE board?
    A: Not significantly.
  2. Q: Does that include the possible max draw from the USB ports?
    A: No.
  3. Q: What fuse capacity do you recommend (5A, 7.5A, or 10A)?
    A: 10A
  4. Q: Is the UDR internally fused?
    A: No, but the USB power has a 2A polysilicon resettable fuse.
  5. Q: Someone previously asked about the power connector.  I got the impression that it was not a standard connector, but you will provide both halves, or a cable (length?) that mates to the connector.  True?
    A: It is a standard Molex RAST-5 connector (2 PCB mount RA fast-on lugs on 5mm centers in a polarized latching shell).
  6. Q: Dimensions (including footprint)?
    A: L x W x H: 180 x 120 x 80 mm.
  7. Q: On how many sides are connectors (this also affects location planning)?  Any externally-visible LEDs (eg, On/TX/RX), or a header for the user to connect same?
    A: Front: Ethernet w/ link/activity LED, and USB. Red-green LED for CPU; red-green LED for radio.
    A: Rear: RF and power

"brad_ka3yan" <bradm75@...>

I hope this doesn't turn into a double post...

Dean,

Was there any thought into using Anderson Powerpole connectors? These seem to have grown in popularity in the Amateur community. I've converted about 80% of my equipment, including power supplies, to PP.

73,
Brad KA3YAN

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., "k7udr" <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

Answers

[...]

"qrv@..." <qrv@...>

Powerpoles add cost & unpredictability.

They are not waterproof (an odd choice for emcomm), they must
be assembled carefully or are prone to failure, they tarnish
over time and only partially self-clean during connect-disconnect
cycles (when tarnished they demonstrate high-loss for low current
and high current demands), and the most common connectors are
unsuitable for high current apps (requiring a higher amp-rated
non-interconnectable version of the PP 75a vs 35a). They are
also easily bumped loose, creating intermittent connections, or
completely apart.

I removed all of them and went back to sure-connect bare wire
and crimped wire connectors (they are cheap, simple, available everywhere) and terminals. Reliable & simple.

Most users almost never, if ever, interconnect with anyone nor
do they frequently connect and disconnect most of their gear -
once set up.

IMHO, YMMV ...

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
David Colburn nevils-station.com

Tyrell Jentink <tyrell@...>

I'm still playing the PP game, and all my equipment is converted over... but I find them to be frustrating for all the reasons you cite, and am considering switching to a more secure connection.

That being said, I'm a starving college kid, and only have one rig that moves from my desk and my Jeep quite regularly, making straight wire connections less feasible. I'm also concerned about wearing out a molex connector under heavy usage. I do want the same connector on all equipment, but your quite right about never interconnecting with other station's equipment... it's hard to even imagine a need, but I intend to carry a pigtail from my eventual solution to PP in my go bag, just in case.

Bringing it back to topic, I'm quite used to having to build pigtails for all my radios. I like to preserve the factory connectors when possible, and run to PowerPoles from there. Complaining about the factory connector seems rather silly.

--

Thanks! & 73, KD4E.com
David Colburn nevils-station.com
I don't google I SEARCH! duckduckgo.com

David's points are part of the reason that engineering chose to go with the RAST 5 solution.   For those who use Anderson Pole connectors, the other end of the 2 meter cable can be mated with Anderson Pole connectors or any other type chosen by the owner.

As a side note: Utah amateurs where some of the first to adopt Anderson Pole connectors. Later they were adopted by a number of ARES/RACES groups as a 'standard' -- however, the left-hand/right-hand orientation of the positive and negative terminals were reversed from the Utah 'standard'.  Hams in Utah relented and adopted the same orientation as other groups.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM, qrv@... <qrv@...> wrote:

[...]

.

"brad_ka3yan" <bradm75@...>

The cost is minimal, especially in bulk. They are not waterproof, but I don't remember reading that the UDR is waterproof, so the point is moot for this conversation.

You are totally right WRT sharing of equipment. My mileage does very though when it comes to moving equipment around. I frequently configure and reconfigure depending on the equipment I'm working with at the time. My shack space is limited and I'm a fidgeter. The PP connectors do make it much easier for me to change things around.

I will of course put PP connectors on the end of the factory provided power cable. This was just a question of whether there was consideration of using PP instead of a non-standard Molex. I say "non-standard" because the OEMs can't seem to agree on a single power connector. Look at Icom's offerings. The IC-706 uses a 6-pin Molex while the IC-7000 uses a 4-pin. This doesn't even account for inconsistencies from OEM to OEM.

No worries though, I'll keep on doing what I've been doing. It was just a question.

73,
Brad KA3YAN

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>

I note that no radio manufacturer uses power-poles nor do they appear in any automotive, marine, aviation or appliance applications that I am aware of. I have used them and the experience has been similar to what others have reported.

The physical contact on the RAST-5 is identical to the contacts in the familiar T-Connector found on many VHF/UHF Mobile Radios. I prefer board mount connectors over pig-tails from a manufacturing perspective.

In a pinch anyone with a standard crimp tool and a couple of female quick connects can build a reliable power cable for the UDR. As John stated, please use the connector of your choice on the other end, be it power-pole, cigarette lighter etc...

Bryan - K7UDR

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Tyrell Jentink <tyrell@...> wrote:

[...]

**

[...]

Tom Saunders <n7oep@...>

E.F. Johnson used them for many years on their commercial land mobile radios in the 1980s and 1990s. Don't know if they still do or not.
Tom n7oep

Sent from my iPhone (I think)

Nate Bargmann <n0nb@...>

* On 2013 15 Apr 13:37 -0500, k7udr wrote:
I note that no radio manufacturer uses power-poles nor do they appear
in any automotive, marine, aviation or appliance applications that I
am aware of. I have used them and the experience has been similar to
what others have reported.
Elecraft is using Power Poles mounted to the RF board on the K3. I have
found them as connectors for batteries inside a UPS.

My experience with PP connectors has been quite positive over the years.
I don't move equipmet around much any more so that probably has a
bearing on my success.

73, de Nate >>

Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahoo@...>

On 2013-04-15 11:02, brad_ka3yan wrote:

You are totally right WRT sharing of equipment.  My mileage does vary though, when it comes to moving equipment around.  I frequently configure and reconfigure depending on the equipment I'm working with at the time.  My shack space is limited and I'm a fidgeter.  The PP connectors do make it much easier for me to change things around.

Your last sentence is an understatement (especially for the experimenter).  The convenience factor cannot be overstated, and no other connection standard that I have seen comes close.  I have a WestMountain 4012 RigRunner (12 outlets + 1 input), and with the addition of the UDR56K-4, it would be full except for the two SLA/AGM 18Ah batteries that are connected to a WestMountain PowerGate instead.  Like you, I often move things around;  I have a separate 4008 RigRunner (along with a Pelican case) that I use for portable operations.

http://www.ae7q.net/media/FixedMd.jpeg -- the UDR will replace the (spare) MFJ tuner to the right of the Heathkit digital clock.  A USB port from the UDR56K-4 will have a Prolific USB-to-serial converter connected to a Digi International PortServer TS8 (eBay: $41), that allows remote control of the the UDR56K-4 (and my other four radios† with RS232-compatible serial data ports) via the Internet‡, leaving the UDR56K-4's Ethernet port free for transparent TCP/IP over-the-air.

No, I am not a spokesperson/salesperson/investor/owner of WestMountain.  I am disappointed that they do not make a 4016 model RigRunner (grin).

-- Dean

† The ID-1 has a USB serial port, and that port is connected to the Internet via a Digi International AnywhereUSB box (eBay: $108).

‡ I don't really need to control my radios via the Internet, but from a computer in another room is nice.  I have another Digi International PortServer TS2 in the garage, so I can upload settings and memories to my IC-2820H in the car, from upstairs in the house.

ka1ifq <ka1ifq@...>

I too have seen them on batteries inside ups units where I work, and all of the fork trucks in the building (probably over 100). I would think a slight covering of 'NoOx' compound used in electrical work or a similar grease compound would help keep the terminals connecting better.

Mike..

On 04/15/2013 03:11 PM, Nate Bargmann wrote:
* On 2013 15 Apr 13:37 -0500, k7udr wrote:
> I note that no radio manufacturer uses power-poles nor do they appear
> in any automotive, marine, aviation or appliance applications that I
> am aware of. I have used them and the experience has been similar to
> what others have reported.

Elecraft is using Power Poles mounted to the RF board on the K3. I have
found them as connectors for batteries inside a UPS.

My experience with PP connectors has been quite positive over the years.
I don't move equipmet around much any more so that probably has a
bearing on my success.

73, de Nate >>

Sent from my Suse Desktop (12.1)