Topics

UDRC-II to Alinco DR-135TMKIII

Brian T Schmidt

Good afternoon,

I am looking to build a reliable APRS iGate here in central Nebraska. I system I am planning on building consists of a RPI/UDRC-II and an Alinco DR-135TMKIII. I sent Randy W7TUT and email and he is not making cables right now. Is there anywhere else I can purchase a cable or is there a some how to on how to build one?

Thanks

Brian

KE0HZX

Kenny Richards

Brian,

This is a fairly easy cable to make. Find a keyboard extension cable with all the wires connected on the mini-6din, cut off one side and solder to the DB9 connector for the DR-135. I don't like trying to make the mini-din side, but soldering to the DB9 isn't to difficult.

73,
Kenny, KU7M

I have updated https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-II-Cabling-For-2-radios to make the connections clearer.

Audio in to the UDRC is on pin 4 -- on the radio end you can connect this to either audio or discriminator.  Discriminator is more flexible (eg. you can run 9600 baud vs 1200 baud).

There are cases where you must use one or the other, eg. running non-packet digital modes on an FT-817 for example.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Kenny Richards <kenny@...> wrote:
Brian,

This is a fairly easy cable to make. Find a keyboard extension cable with all the wires connected on the mini-6din, cut off one side and solder to the DB9 connector for the DR-135. I don't like trying to make the mini-din side, but soldering to the DB9 isn't to difficult.

73,
Kenny, KU7M

Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Steve

To elaborate on Kenny's "Find a keyboard extension cable ..." suggestion, this proved difficult for me until I went here:
https://pchcables.ecomm-search.com/cables/ps2-cables

Steve

Kenny Richards wrote on 06/25/2018 11:56 AM:

Brian,
This is a fairly easy cable to make. Find a keyboard extension cable with all the wires connected on the mini-6din, cut off one side and solder to the DB9 connector for the DR-135. I don't like trying to make the mini-din side, but soldering to the DB9 isn't to difficult.
73,
Kenny, KU7M

Brian T Schmidt

Thanks for the help. I think to get the system up and running I will get a premade cable and then make a cable myself for educational purposes.

Brian

On 6/25/2018 2:37 PM, Steve wrote:
To elaborate on Kenny's "Find a keyboard extension cable ..." suggestion, this proved difficult for me until I went here:
https://pchcables.ecomm-search.com/cables/ps2-cables

Steve

Kenny Richards wrote on 06/25/2018 11:56 AM:
Brian,

This is a fairly easy cable to make. Find a keyboard extension cable with all the wires connected on the mini-6din, cut off one side and solder to the DB9 connector for the DR-135. I don't like trying to make the mini-din side, but soldering to the DB9 isn't to difficult.

73,
Kenny, KU7M

Keith Williamson

Hi Brian,

I run an APRS digipeater (KF7DRV-3) 24/7 using the UDRC and DR-135.

Here is the diagram of the cable I built for it. Just as Kenny suggested, I too started with a keyboard extension cable so that I didn't have to muck with the mini-DIN6.

73's,

Keith
KF7DRV

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Kenny Richards <kenny@...> wrote:
Brian,

This is a fairly easy cable to make. Find a keyboard extension cable with all the wires connected on the mini-6din, cut off one side and solder to the DB9 connector for the DR-135. I don't like trying to make the mini-din side, but soldering to the DB9 isn't to difficult.

73,
Kenny, KU7M

Brian T Schmidt

thats awesome Keith thanks for the help...

I pretty much live in the stick and trying to add tech to central NE..HA

Brian

On 6/25/2018 2:24 PM, Keith Williamson wrote:
Hi Brian,

I run an APRS digipeater (KF7DRV-3) 24/7 using the UDRC and DR-135.

Here is the diagram of the cable I built for it. Just as Kenny suggested, I too started with a keyboard extension cable so that I didn't have to muck with the mini-DIN6.

73's,

Keith
KF7DRV

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Kenny Richards <kenny@...> wrote:
Brian,

This is a fairly easy cable to make. Find a keyboard extension cable with all the wires connected on the mini-6din, cut off one side and solder to the DB9 connector for the DR-135. I don't like trying to make the mini-din side, but soldering to the DB9 isn't to difficult.

73,
Kenny, KU7M

Steve Stroh

I agree with Kenny, but one "trick" is to ensure that the PS/2
extension cable you pick has all 6 pins wired through. Not all the
pins are used on a PS/2 mouse or keyboard, so some extension cable
vendors don't include the "unneeded" wires. The more reputable vendors
usually specify that yes, their PS/2 extension cables DO have all six
wires.

Another "trick" for the D-9 connector end is that you can buy
connectors that use crimped pins, which is all I use nowadays. Once
you've used crimp pins rather than soldered, you never go back. Quick
Amazon lookup: https://www.amazon.com/Accessories-D-Sub-Standard-Crimp-Plated/dp/B007R2JEI8

Steve N8GNJ

--
Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@...