Topics

UDRX ???

Marc Lacy

I see on the website that the UDRX is no longer listed. What has happened?

Marc -- the UDRX project had languished for too long and has been discontinued.  The current focus of NW Digital Radio is outlined here -- http://nwdigitalradio.com/2018-state-of-the-union/

This decision was not taken lightly.  Rest assured we are still interested in providing solutions in the space that the UDRX envisioned and we will have future products in the space, but likely taking a different approach.

Right now we are working on projects outlined in the "State of the Union", some of which will be available for view at Hamvention in a couple of weeks.

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 9:16 AM, Marc Lacy <KD7RYY@...> wrote:
I see on the website that the UDRX is no longer listed. What has happened?

Director

Paul Johnson

UDRX = a still birth = so sad! 1200 baud packet radio 30 years
old in the PNW. I was looking forward to the UDRX as the next
generation to carry the mode forward as a plug and play Amateur
Radio RADIO NETWORK device. Thanks for confirming the last nail
in the coffin for this project.....I can now stop waiting!

Paul VE7DHM

On Tue, 2018-05-01 at 09:48 -0700, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
[...]

If only somebody (knudge knudge NWDR) would come out with an updated
(25 year old?) D4-10 that was not dependent on crystals for frequency
control. It would make a great pair with an dual port network TNC
(like the 25 year old Dataengine...)

There have been some comments that the 222 Mobile radio by the
Bridgecom BCM-220 will do 9600 and maybe better - but they ignore me
when I ask.

Bill

Jonathan Naylor

The UDRX has quadrature inputs and outputs it seems and if the TX chain is linear then we have something very impressive indeed. It will be capable of *any* mode that fits in its bandwidth including SSB and CW!

If you want plug and play then I suggest you’re in the wrong hobby, may I suggest CB?

Jonathan G4KLX

On Thursday, May 10, 2018, 05:13, Paul Johnson <ve7dhm@...> wrote:

UDRX = a still birth = so sad! 1200 baud packet radio 30 years
old in the PNW.  I was looking forward to the UDRX as the next
generation to carry the mode forward as a plug and play Amateur
Radio RADIO NETWORK device.  Thanks for confirming the last nail
in the coffin for this project.....I can now stop waiting!

Paul VE7DHM

On Tue, 2018-05-01 at 09:48 -0700, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
> Marc -- the UDRX project had languished for too long and has been
> discontinued.  The current focus of NW Digital Radio is outlined here
>

> This decision was not taken lightly.  Rest assured we are still
> interested in providing solutions in the space that the UDRX
> envisioned and we will have future products in the space, but likely
> taking a different approach.
>

> Right now we are working on projects outlined in the "State of the
> Union", some of which will be available for view at Hamvention in a
> couple of weeks.
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 9:16 AM, Marc Lacy <KD7RYY@...> wrote:
>        I see on the website that the UDRX is no longer listed. What
>        has happened?
>

> --

> John D. Hays
> Director

Curt, WE7U

On Thu, 10 May 2018, Jonathan Naylor via Groups.Io wrote:

The UDRX has quadrature inputs and outputs it seems and if the TX chain is linear then we have something very impressive indeed. It will be capable of *any* mode that fits in its bandwidth including SSB and CW!
Sounds great, except I'd change that to "would have had quadrature outputs". The product won't see the light of day now. That's a bummer 'cuz back when it was announced I was quite interested in buying one.

Instead check out the HackRF, the LimeSDR, or the LimeSDR Mini: More capability than the UDRX would have had. Add an amp or three and you've got any mode you want on any of 100 kHz to 3.8 GHz (LimeSDR as an example). Has 6 Rx and 4 Tx connectors, so you can have an amp and/or antenna per band as well.

I think the Lime's do 10mW out, so an amp is pretty much required. This is not that dissimilar from my ANAN10 HF rig that has a separate amp to get it to 10 to 15W.

LimeSDR Mini: $140
LimeSDR: $300
HackRF: $300

Plenty to choose from these days.

--
Curt, WE7U. http://we7u.wetnet.net
Closed-minded about open (-source)...

Paul Johnson

I don't know why your condescending quip at the end of your reply.
NWD asked all to "keep the faith" for a product that would provide
high speed data capability and be OS user friendly. A big loss to
the Amateur Radio packet radio community with the UDRX-440 concept
being dropped.

Paul VE7DHM

wrote:

> I see on the website that the UDRX is no longer
listed. What

> has happened?

> --

> John D. Hays

> Director

Dave N2OA

Don't forget the filtering you will need to design and build. I doubt any of those devices can be amplified without some extra filtering inline to keep them legal.

Dave
N2OA