Topics

Update on setting up AMBEServer

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

Some edits on setting up a DV3000, including an init.d script for starting and stopping the DV3000

http://nwdigitalradio.com/dv3000-ambeserver

BTW, I have obtained a Raspberry Pi B+ and confirmed that the DV3000 works with it.  I'll put a note up on http://nwdigitalradio.com in the next day or two.

n9nwo@...

As I understand this, the DV3000 is merely a Vocoder board.  That the software to use it for D-Star or DMR has to be in the radio or in an R-Pi box.  Is this a correct assumption?

Has someone created a D-Star app for this?  Thus I could use it now, with R-Pi, much like the DV dongel is used.  But with the radio then I have a DV Access Point (radio).

Thus if I were to want to do DMR all is needed is similar software.

Is this a correct assumption?

N9NWO

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM, n9nwo@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

As I understand this, the DV3000 is merely a Vocoder board.  That the software to use it for D-Star or DMR has to be in the radio or in an R-Pi box.  Is this a correct assumption?

It is the DVSI AMBE 3000 chip with interfacing to the GPIO port on a Raspberry Pi B/B+

Software is available and working for a couple of D-STAR applications and the DV3000 can be accessed by software running on the RasPi or over the network to the RasPi where the DV3000 is installed.

See http://nwdigitalradio.com/category/dv3000 news, articles, and links to setup instructions.

Has someone created a D-Star app for this?  Thus I could use it now, with R-Pi, much like the DV dongel is used.  But with the radio then I have a DV Access Point (radio).

This is accomplished with DummyRepeater/ircDDBGateway for microphone/speaker on the RasPi or other network attached computer, talking to the D-STAR network.

An access point would require a modem (DVRPT V1, GMSK Modem, DVAP), which could also be attached to the RasPi.

Thus if I were to want to do DMR all is needed is similar software.

That's a longer discussion, but at least one independent developer has attached the DV3000 to open source DMR (and more) protocol software (DSD).  Experimental at this point.

Is this a correct assumption?

N9NWO

Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...>

Technically, you wouldn't need the vocoder board for an access point, but yes, the software would be needed in the radio to use it that way. At least for D-STAR; for DMR, it would depend on if the access point was connected to a fully DMR network or if it was connected to a hybrid network of some sort.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

On September 17, 2014 3:49:06 PM AST, "n9nwo@... [UniversalDigitalRadio]" wrote:

As I understand this, the DV3000 is merely a Vocoder board.  That the software to use it for D-Star or DMR has to be in the radio or in an R-Pi box.  Is this a correct assumption?

Has someone created a D-Star app for this?  Thus I could use it now, with R-Pi, much like the DV dongel is used.  But with the radio then I have a DV Access Point (radio).

Thus if I were to want to do DMR all is needed is similar software.

Is this a correct assumption?

N9NWO

n9nwo@...

Vocoder would be used to take voice input then push it off to D-Star or DMR. Thus it would be like a DV Dongel.

So if I use my HT into the NW radio then no vocoder needed.  That would be an access point or hot spot.

Does the UDRX-440 have its own R-Pi processor?  Or another Linux platform?

What coding has been done to use this as an access point/hot spot for D-Star?  What programming would be needed for DMR?

N9NWO

"flightresq@..." <flightresq@...>

If I use the audio from the discriminator tap what do you suggest?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 8:01 AM, n9nwo@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Vocoder would be used to take voice input then push it off to D-Star or DMR. Thus it would be like a DV Dongel.

Yes, the vocoder can encode/decode the AMBE portion of the datastream for D-STAR and DMR with appropriate protocol managing software.

So if I use my HT into the NW radio then no vocoder needed.  That would be an access point or hot spot.

Yes, no vocoder needed for 'Hot Spot' usage (I prefer 'simplex access point')

Does the UDRX-440 have its own R-Pi processor?  Or another Linux platform?

It has an inbuilt Linux server, similar to the Raspberry Pi but a different ARM processor.

What coding has been done to use this as an access point/hot spot for D-Star?  What programming would be needed for DMR?

The UDRX-440 processor has been running the ircDDBGateway (G4KLX) software for over 2 years, the dstarrepeater software will be adapted to the UDRX-440's dsp based modem to interface with the radio.

We do not have current plans to implement a DMR solution, however, since it is an open platform others are welcome to adapt their UDRX-440s to other protocol and modulation stacks.

N9NWO