Topics

Updated Youtube demo of the UDR56K-4?

"Douglas" <dperv27@...>

Developers,

I'm trying my hardest to spread the word about the UDR56K-4 here in CT, but many hams have adopted the "proof is in the pudding" theory.

Would it be possible to record and post an actual demo of the UDR56K-4's capabilities on Youtube? (The last discussion was Pacificon 2012 back in Oct 2012)

--73 de N1OBU (Doug)(FN41AN)

"avignonmimi@..." <avignonmimi@...>

There needs to be a release date (4Q 2015) or something like that, for most to start saving money. Otherwise they will probably go out and buy a WiFi router :-)

Then too, 70cm may just go away in North America as the Government takes over the band.

I wish there was two or three Local Oscillators though, as the embedded Linux could be used to do a slow frequency hopper over (say) 5 MHz.

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., "Douglas" <dperv27@...> wrote:

Developers,

I'm trying my hardest to spread the word about the UDR56K-4 here in CT, but many hams have adopted the "proof is in the pudding" theory.

Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...>

Actually, it's Q3 2013, which starts next month. I mean, they HAVE been taking preorders for the hardware for several months now.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

Tom Hayward <esarfl@...>

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 4:37 AM, avignonmimi@...
<avignonmimi@...> wrote:

There needs to be a release date (4Q 2015) or something like that, for most to start saving money. Otherwise they will probably go out and buy a WiFi router :-)
I started saving money when it was first announced and by now I have
enough savings for 2 or 3 :-)

Tom KD7LXL

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

Pre-order is open for 2 and 1/2 months -- until this Saturday http://nwdigitalradio.com/pre-order

We are planning for Q3 production for delivery -- we will update if that changes.

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 7:47 AM, Matthew Pitts

Actually, it's Q3 2013, which starts next month. I mean, they HAVE been taking preorders for the hardware for several months now.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

"avignonmimi@..." <avignonmimi@...>

I still have a couple Kantronics D4-10 data radios (12 watt), but those radios had a bad oscillator design, as they drifted all over the place. Work fine in a heated room, but at a tower site they need to be temperature controlled somehow.

Hopefully this radio will have a TCXO onboard.

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., Matthew Pitts <daywalker_blade_2004@...> wrote:

Actually, it's Q3 2013, which starts next month. I mean, they HAVE been taking preorders for the hardware for several months now.

Matthew Pitts
N8OHU

Michael Carey <michaelcarey@...>

Me too, but my savings have become less valuable!!

My concern now is that the $AU value has dropped against the greenback in the last month!  A few months ago the $AU bought around US$1.05 (-: ... now it's at US$0.94 )-: !!

I hope it doesn't drop too much more!

73

Michael
VK5ZEA

<avignonmimi@...> wrote:

> There needs to be a release date (4Q 2015) or something like that, for most to start saving money. Otherwise they will probably go out and buy a WiFi router :-)

I started saving money when it was first announced and by now I have
enough savings for 2 or 3 :-)

Tom KD7LXL

"k7udr" <bhhoyer@...>

Hi Doug,

Thanks for spreading the word.

The purpose of the pre-order discount is to incentivize those individuals who are willing to work with a new unproven product (early adopters) and contribute to it's development. It's perfectly reasonable and expected that there will be a second wave (pragmatists) who get on board once the product has been proven.

It's in all of our best interest not to rush the decision-making process and thanks again for your support.

Bryan

Reference: "Crossing the Chasm" by Gordon Moore, 1991

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., "Douglas" <dperv27@...> wrote:

Developers,

I'm trying my hardest to spread the word about the UDR56K-4 here in CT, but many hams have adopted the "proof is in the pudding" theory.

Would it be possible to record and post an actual demo of the UDR56K-4's capabilities on Youtube? (The last discussion was Pacificon 2012 back in Oct 2012)

--73 de N1OBU (Doug)(FN41AN)

"mikenetbot" <mikenet213@...>

Does seem more than reasonable to wait till the units are shipping. It can cause a fair amount of FUD if you start talking too much about a product that hasn't been released yet :).

But given that, I'd 2nd the call for a Youtube demo by someone who knows the ins and outs of the design. Demo setup of two units into dummy loads and make them talk. Watch it on a spectrum analyzer + analog-audio (buzz, buzz). Make it pretty :).

Reason being is from the press coverage of this radio, I blew it off as a yet another TNC bolted to a radio. Wasn't until the MicroHams conference where I talked to people 'in the know' and realized this was the digital experimenter's 70CM dream rig...I could get my hands in there and build on it. I pre-ordered 2 on the spot :).

Now many want a plug-and-play box, and I want an experimenter rig, and I realize we're different audiences (and one's bigger than the other, hehe). But telling everyone exactly what it is and isn't never hurts :).

Michael

--- In UniversalDigitalRadio@..., "k7udr" <bhhoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

"kb9mwr" <kb9mwr@...>

I second the motion of a youtube video.

The only real reason I didn't signup for a pre-order is because I need to convince one of my ham buddies to buy one. I took a look at the map (a good idea by the way) and there is only one guy in my state.

[...]

At least you've got one guy.. I've got no guy.. So I either have to buy two to experiment with or hard recruit at least that one guy in my RF area.

Of course.. This could be the time to suggest a UDR56K-4 conference somewhere. Everyone bring their UDR's and we can spend the weekend testing/experimenting.. UDR-Expedition!!

--73