Topics

Using a PiDrive with Draws Hat #draws #pidrive

okiejim

I wanted to use my PiDrive as it is already setup as my access point and dhcp server to my ham shack on wheels. I plugged the hat in and hooked up an external 12 volt source. When I powered it up it gave me a smoke signal. I quickly disconnected power. So I then hooked it up to a pi2 that I have. Using the same 12 volt cable it fired up both the pi and draws hat. But it is not recognizing a sound card. I have ordered a pi3 B+ and will try it on that when it arrives. I hope I did not blow the card. showudrc.sh shows it sees the draws hat.

john.chabalko@...

Did you enable audio? Towards the bottom of this page

Also - when you say it gave you a smoke signal... that doesn't sound good. Do you know what burned up, or on which board it came from?

okiejim

Thanks for the reply. And yes I did enable by removing the # and re-booting. I believe the prdrive drew to many amps and it may have blown or weaked the 5 volt regulator. But when I power it up from the pi instead of the 12 volt power it seems like its powered since I get a response from the showudrc.sh file. I have contacted NW digital radio and they said its under warranty and to send it in so they can look at it for me. Stellar customer service. I will try on Monday when my new Pi3B+ arrives. If I have the same symptom I will send it in with a copy of showudrc.sh. I just wanted to alert anyone thinking of doing what I did. I wish I would have read more about power on this. I thought it might be too much with the hardrive and usb hub I have hooked up to my existing PI. Powering up from the PI may be the way to go this this type of configuration. I will keep this updated with results.

On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 3:35 PM <john.chabalko@...> wrote:
Did you enable audio? Towards the bottom of this page

Also - when you say it gave you a smoke signal... that doesn't sound good. Do you know what burned up, or on which board it came from?

john.chabalko@...

Yikes, i just got mine yesterday. I'm new to raspberry pi but not to Linux so have been getting familiar with the rpi centric configs etc. It's a pretty cool setup. I'm interested in hearing what you find out about the power capabilities.

Basil Gunn

John,
It might not be obvious but you want to start with 'Getting
Started' page from the udrc wiki.

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

/Basil

john.chabalko@... writes:

Yikes, i just got mine yesterday. I'm new to raspberry pi but not to Linux so have been getting familiar with the rpi centric configs etc. It's a pretty cool setup. I'm interested in hearing what you find out about the power capabilities.

Gwen Patton

Dang, and I wanted to use MY PiDrive with it. I'll hold off on experimenting with it until there's more info!

Gwen, NG3P

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

john.chabalko@...

I followed that doc last night actually and it was super helpful. I’m going to go through the test and validation stuff tonight.

Im looking forward to getting it all dialed in

I even got js8 working from my house - which I rarely get squat from my house with the noise floor.

okiejim

I feel soooo bad you guys. I  have not updated this for you. I did get my draws hat working fine on the new PI3B+. It is working just fine. I never tried again on the piDrive as it was working with the new PI and I wanted to play for awhile. My HF rig just bit the dust yesterday and I have to send it off for repair. So now is the time I guess to try the piDrive again. I do want to make that work because of the elimination of the SD Card requirement. With the PiDrive you can boot from the harddrive. I was hoping to be able to do the same with Compass Linux. So we shall try sometime this week and see what happens again. Wish me luck.

From an Operating System point of view, "Compass" is Raspbian Linux.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 1:58 PM okiejim <kd6vpe@...> wrote:
I feel soooo bad you guys. I  have not updated this for you. I did get my draws hat working fine on the new PI3B+. It is working just fine. I never tried again on the piDrive as it was working with the new PI and I wanted to play for awhile. My HF rig just bit the dust yesterday and I have to send it off for repair. So now is the time I guess to try the piDrive again. I do want to make that work because of the elimination of the SD Card requirement. With the PiDrive you can boot from the harddrive. I was hoping to be able to do the same with Compass Linux. So we shall try sometime this week and see what happens again. Wish me luck.

Kingston, WA
K7VE

okiejim

Success!!!
I unplugged all my accessories and also unhooked the drive power from the Pi. So I have two power inputs at this time. The Pi is powered by the 12 volts from the Draws Hat and the Drive is powered via the USB cable to and external USB charger. I have beta13 running and had it on all night. No smoke and still running. I have not hooked it up to a radio yet but I do suspect it will run fine. I will try a radio later on once I build up a cable. I plan to run Xastir with a TenTec 1220 2m kit. More to come. At this time I am not going to try to hook the drive up to the pi. I think that may have been the over draw that caused the smoke signal not sure yet but nothing burned out yet.

okiejim

I just plugged the harddrive into a USB port on the Pi3. I now get the lightning bolt when the drvie is accessed. When idle the lightning bolt is not on. So it is working but un-sure at this point about other devices. I will run it this way over the weekend to see if it holds up. I do see all of the partitions I built with the WDLabs image so that is cool. I am running the beta13 image right now. I have mis-placed my ps2 female pig tail. When I find it I will solder up a connector for the 2m rig and see if I have enough power to drive the radio audio. More to come.

Christopher Warren

The problem you are experiencing is being caused by the lack of power to run the hard drive.
Buy yourself a Y USB splitter to allow the drive to be powered from a separate supply. Make sure the voltage does not also supply the RPI. I had to cut the positive lead in the y splitter cable. So be careful.

On Sat, 25 May 2019, 21:00 okiejim, <kd6vpe@...> wrote:
I just plugged the harddrive into a USB port on the Pi3. I now get the lightning bolt when the drvie is accessed. When idle the lightning bolt is not on. So it is working but un-sure at this point about other devices. I will run it this way over the weekend to see if it holds up. I do see all of the partitions I built with the WDLabs image so that is cool. I am running the beta13 image right now. I have mis-placed my ps2 female pig tail. When I find it I will solder up a connector for the 2m rig and see if I have enough power to drive the radio audio. More to come.

okiejim

Thank you Christopher,
I kinda knew that but my attempt  was to use the 12 volt input to power everything. I am using the draws in my RV/ToyHauler and 12volt amps do fluctuate during times of no hookups. I appreciate your help. I ended up using the PiDrive as my DNS server and NAS and the Draws will be separate for the radio work.  The actual current draw will be less this way, as the radio/draws will not be on all of the time.

k6acj

I’ve been booting from the external Toshiba 500gig USB drive for years but the Pi still needs /boot on the SD card to read the configuration then continues booting from the external drive.  In your case are you saying the SD card is completely eliminated if the PiDrive is used ?

Building the external boot is not too hard: DD the SD image to the HD then figure out the Linux ID of the external HD, edit I think it is /boot/config.txt with the external ID and reboot.  I wrote up the routine on the rasperry pi forums long ago but it should still be there, search boot external hard drive.      Bill acj

From an Operating System point of view, "Compass" is Raspbian Linux.

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 8:54 AM k6acj <k6acj@...> wrote:
I’ve been booting from the external Toshiba 500gig USB drive for years but the Pi still needs /boot on the SD card to read the configuration then continues booting from the external drive.  In your case are you saying the SD card is completely eliminated if the PiDrive is used ?

Building the external boot is not too hard: DD the SD image to the HD then figure out the Linux ID of the external HD, edit I think it is /boot/config.txt with the external ID and reboot.  I wrote up the routine on the rasperry pi forums long ago but it should still be there, search boot external hard drive.      Bill acj

On May 23, 2019, at 2:48 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

From an Operating System point of view, "Compass" is Raspbian Linux.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 1:58 PM okiejim <kd6vpe@...> wrote:
I feel soooo bad you guys. I  have not updated this for you. I did get my draws hat working fine on the new PI3B+. It is working just fine. I never tried again on the piDrive as it was working with the new PI and I wanted to play for awhile. My HF rig just bit the dust yesterday and I have to send it off for repair. So now is the time I guess to try the piDrive again. I do want to make that work because of the elimination of the SD Card requirement. With the PiDrive you can boot from the harddrive. I was hoping to be able to do the same with Compass Linux. So we shall try sometime this week and see what happens again. Wish me luck.

Kingston, WA

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Sam Wash

Yes

On May 28, 2019, at 9:03 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 8:54 AM k6acj <k6acj@...> wrote:
I’ve been booting from the external Toshiba 500gig USB drive for years but the Pi still needs /boot on the SD card to read the configuration then continues booting from the external drive.  In your case are you saying the SD card is completely eliminated if the PiDrive is used ?

Building the external boot is not too hard: DD the SD image to the HD then figure out the Linux ID of the external HD, edit I think it is /boot/config.txt with the external ID and reboot.  I wrote up the routine on the rasperry pi forums long ago but it should still be there, search boot external hard drive.      Bill acj

From an Operating System point of view, "Compass" is Raspbian Linux.