Topics

Using DNS Name for DV3000

k6fed@...

Is there software available that will allow the use of DNS names instead of a IP address for accessing the DV3000?  I'd like to keep my home IP address private.

Thanks

Frank K6FED

"John D. Hays" <john@...>

I'm not sure what application you are specifically looking for, and if someone has a DNS address, finding the IP address is trivial.

On Windows, Linux, and MacOS, one would simply use the nslookup tool.  For example (on my Mac):

nslookup arrl.org
Server: 192.168.6.15
Address: 192.168.6.15#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: arrl.org
Address: 184.106.62.251

The ThumbDV and PiDV are not directly addressed by an IP address, applications access them. Such applications as WinDV, Buster, DummyRepeater, and AMBEserver.

BTW, discussions for these products have moved.

NW Digital Radio is in the process of setting up various community groups at Groups.io Please create a personal account at Groups.io Join the main NW Digital group by sending an email from your registered email account to main+subscribe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io and then send an email to ambe+subscribe@nw-digital-radio.groups.io Please use the group for questions and to share your experiences, so that all users can benefit from the replies.

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 8:36 AM, k6fed@... [UniversalDigitalRadio] <UniversalDigitalRadio@...> wrote:

Is there software available that will allow the use of DNS names instead of a IP address for accessing the DV3000?  I'd like to keep my home IP address private.

Thanks

Frank K6FED

Dean Gibson AE7Q <yahu.stuff@...>

For those that are unfamiliar with NSLOOKUP, there is always PING.  Even if PING doesn't succeed, it does the lookup and displays the IP address.